Search
Register
B. Dolan gets a review from the Boston Herald
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

B. Dolan gets a review from the Boston Herald  Reply with quote  

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/music/reviews/view.bg?articleid=1100434&srvc=rss

This is the wrong disc for anyone expecting Providence poet Dolan to sound like his Strange Famous MC affiliate Sage Francis. Dolan is a spoken word artist with distinctive skills: He’s the rare slam champ who hasn’t bitten Saul Williams. “The Failure” packs too much feedback and instrumental filler, but through Dolan’s vociferous fragments you can almost hear the world unravel. Download: “The Skycycle Blues.”
Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:08 pm
erich

Quote:

too much feedback and instrumental filler

i guess feedback is an acquired taste, (personally, i could listen to a cranked mic wobble on the threshold of feeding back in a big room all day, but thats probably just me) but instrumental filler? nah. that's like calling the log lady from twin peaks a gimmick. it's part of a whole; building the mood. if i thought it were overboard, i'd say so, but nothing on the failure lasts much longer than it needs to.

oh, wait, this is this guy:

http://thephoenix.com/Boston/Music/63303-Talk-the-talk/

all is clear.

edit- and this too:

http://thephoenix.com/Boston/Music/63323-Seven-easy-steps-to-battle-rap-supremacy/
Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:19 pm
Captiv8

It's like the reviewer can't decide whether he likes the album or not, leaving plenty of room for flip-flopping. What a Kerry.
Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:37 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I definitely think the criticism was off base and....incredibly untrue. But I'm glad they were able to point out that B does not sound like Sage Francis. Too many people seem apt to make that comparison and it just doesn't hold true.
Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:38 pm
Captiv8

Sage Francis wrote:
I definitely think the criticism was off base and....incredibly untrue. But I'm glad they were able to point out that B does not sound like Sage Francis. Too many people seem apt to make that comparison and it just doesn't hold true.

Sometimes I think that your voices sound similar, but careful listening reveals that you both have distinctly different deliveries and tones.
Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:48 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Now that is what I mainly disagree with. Our voices are far from similar. I can see how our subject matter is similar but not voice. Not delivery.

We are big white men with beards and bald heads. That seems to influence everyone's opinon on how we sound similar. We don't. If I could have B's voice I would take it. I can't though. I'm stuck here with my strange timber and mid range snarl.
Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:12 pm
Eireenah

Location: "I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out."

After Live Evel and The Failure dropped, all my doubts about voice or delivery similarities were gone. You aren't even in the same scale. After seeing you guys live i wouldn't even dare to say you look so much alike.
Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:56 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Eireenah wrote:
After Live Evel and The Failure dropped, all my doubts about voice or delivery similarities were gone. You aren't even in the same scale. After seeing you guys live i wouldn't even dare to say you look so much alike.

Well, everyone in the airport asking us if we're brothers kind of makes think we actually do look alike. Haha.

"So hey...uhhh.....are you.."
"Are we brothers? Yeah. We're brothers. Now shine my fucking shoes."

no suh
Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:32 pm
mobe

Any love for Dolan and The Failure is a good thing, but Boston Herald, if you're gonna do a cheap comparison review at least tell people who the guy sounds like instead of who he doesn't. "B. Dolan doesn't sound like Carly Simon, Paul Anka, or Terrence Trent D'Arby. Download The Skycycle Blues."
Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:52 pm
futuristxen

Captiv8 wrote:
Sage Francis wrote:

Sometimes I think that your voices sound similar, but careful listening reveals that you both have distinctly different deliveries and tones.

Are you kidding? You must be kidding. Their voices sound nothing alike. You might want to check your stereo set up. You may not have the bass on.

They do look related in the sense of their beards and build. There should be some kind of rap group centered around this. Two Beardies? Two Bearded Men and a little rap album. Or something. Look who's talking too. I dunno.

Why does the review end with "Download: Skycycle blues" but no link? Are they just encouraging random music piracy over at the herald? Why not just say, "Listen to: Skycycle Blues"?
Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:10 pm
MYOWNCLICHE

I think you and b. do look alike but the voices, no.
Post Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:21 pm
knowrites

Sage Francis wrote:
Eireenah wrote:

Well, everyone in the airport asking us if we're brothers kind of makes think we actually do look alike. Haha.

"So hey...uhhh.....are you.."
"Are we brothers? Yeah. We're brothers. Now shine my fucking shoes."

no suh

i recall somebody here mentioning B. being you when you take you beard off.

mista famous, you seem to be trying awful hard to prove you're not Dolan...
cover up i thinks...

aside from this, i agree with.. whoever said the review should've given something he does sound like, not that i could give an example, rather than telling me who he doesn't sound like.
well, he doesn't play the fiddle.
Post Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:32 pm
futuristxen

B. sounds like a slaughterhouse Chuck D. How about that? Employ me Boston Herald. I write reviews real good-like.
Post Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:40 pm

Jump to: