Search
Register
FREE DL- Sloppy White "Fat Tape" mix on SFRstore
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

tom inhaler
me too!

FREE DL- Sloppy White "Fat Tape" mix on SFRstore  Reply with quote  

http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=388

SFR is proud to offer Fat Tape, the first in a series of mixtapes from cratedigger extraordinaire Sloppy White, as a FREE DOWNLOAD! The 20 tracks are zipped together, and encoded in 192kbps MP3 format. Here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*moderator edit*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the tracklisting along with commentary on each track from DJ Sloppy White:

1) Supreme Force - You Gotta Come Out Fresh
Co Handlin' Things 12" - NIA Records 1986

No matter what you do you always gotta come out fresh. So this twelve seemed liked the best choice to kick off the set. Supreme Force's Come Out Fresh is one of my favorite cuts from the Nia catalogue. It's the tastey b-side to Co Handlin' Things. The Force consists of Easy E (not of NWA fame), Cool C and Freddie C (aka Freddie Foxxx). Could be the first time we hear Freddie Foxxx and Cool C on wax? Foxxx's hardcore persona is in its infancy stage here but it's interesting to hear him in this early setting, musically and lyrically. Cool C hadn't changed much after dropping his 89 debut with I Gotta Habit and I haven't a clue as to what happened with Easy E. Although this one is hard to get a hold of, be sure to check those 80's Electro lists. Nia put out a lot of Electro and I've seen this single get lumped in from time to time by default.

2) King Sun - Fat Tape
XL - Zakia 1989

This is in my opinion the best cut from King Sun's debut album, XL. It's also, obviously, the inspiration for this mix. The album is a little lack luster but it does offer a couple of tracks with beat production by the 45 King, Fat Tape being on of them. While its not a sound we're used to hearing from the 45 king it holds up well with King Sun's lyrics about his ability to rock jams and create "fat tapes". A lot of good sample sentences here. It's also interesting to hear the vocal similarity between Sun and, then Zakia label mate, Rakim. Since Profile and Rush were behind this project distribution was plentiful and should be easy get a hold of.

3) Tall Dark and Handsome - The Bronx is Back
Tall Dark and Handsome - B-Boy 1988

Tall Dark and Handsome were an obscure group on the infamous B-Boy label. The album certainly isn't the greatest release from the label that brought us Criminal Minded but it does offer a few nice tracks. The Bronx is Back is probably the strongest cut from the album. It showcases a nice, strong bassline threaded through the beat while TDH have a hardy group delivery. Its worth tracking the album down just for this track alone. I've also seen them together on one LP with JVC Force containing tracks from this album and Doin Damage. Either way a tuff one to get.

4) Partner In Crime - Do You Know What I'm Saying
Do You Know What I'm Saying 12" - Criminal 198?

This seems to be a little known gem from Arthur Baker's short lived 80s label, Criminal Records. I don't know anything about the rapper behind Partners In Crime, Easy El Gee, but this is a nice 12". They have strong verbal skills that sound similar to the early Stetsasonic sound. This track is faster yet similar to Stets' DBC Let The Music Play. Baker, who recorded on the label as Wally Jump Jr. and as the Criminal Element Orchestra, produced the track using Maceo's often sampled Across the Tracks to good effect. The flip, Mary Mary, doesn't possess the same energy as a-side. And yes it uses the old Monkees sample ala Run DMC. I haven't seen another one of these in years.

5) Black Rock and Ron - Getting Large
Stop the World - RCA 1989

Straight off their album, Stop the World, Getting Large was one of a few nice jams served up by Black Rock and Ron. Paul C produced the majority of the tracks so you know its got a nice rough edge to the production. I'm sure everyone is familiar with the title track, Stop the World, thanks to Edan's Fast Rap mix cd. Getting Large has got all the right ingredients to keep your neck snappin'. Beware of the 12"! It's a stripped down mix and doesn't have half the punch of the album cut. There are, however, a few throw aways here. The title track, Black Rock and Ron, is a terrible House cut. I think it was standard practice to include a House joint on most hip hop records from this era. This album is getting tougher and tougher to dig up.

6) The Wise Guyz - eF yoU eN Kay E
eF yoU eN Kay E - Atlantic 1989

Atlantic had an interesting, yet unsuccessful, stable of hip hop acts in the late 80s and early 90s. The Wise Guyz are one such an act. This Long Island group consisted of Extra Caliber, Stretch, Tron (The Ladies Tenderroni) and Big Ill. Riding the politically conscious bandwagon, the Wise Guyz put out this album of socially aware lyrics. While the album had it's share of duds it does posses a few nice ones and this track sure as hell slams! I think the phrase "rap attack" is exemplified by this knockout jam with lines like "treat you like some old Pumas and play you OUT!" DJ battle lines, anyone? You could probably slip into any warehouse and find one or two copies of this album.

7) Greyson and Jasun - Hard As They Come
Sweatin' Me Wet - Atlantic 1991

This is another one of those Atlantic acts that I described from the previous track. I remember back in the day when their single Livin Like A Troopa dropped. It even had a pretty cool video that ran on BET occasionally. They were visually presented with more of a street edge in the video than displayed on the jacket cover (Looks like they got the master key to the girls locker room or something). Greysun and Jaysun had a similar verbal style to EPMD (Erick Sermon specifically) and could have easily assimilated into the Hit Squad posse. Hard as They Come showcases Greyson's cool monotone delivery over JB's Cold Sweat complete with Jimmy Nolen's guitar stabs. This album only has a couple of good tracks… basically the aforementioned Livin Like A Trooper and Hard as They Come. Slick Rick completeists will wanna get this for his guest spot on Get Bizzy, which ain't too bad but Rick's done better. You should be able to dig this one out of a warehouse or cut out bin.

8) Style - The Assassinator
In Tone We Trust - Select 1990

Select Records had one hell of a run in the rap game back in the day and this album by Style is often over looked. I remember seeing copies of this just sittin' in the bins a few of years ago. I haven't seen it any where nowadays. The Assassinator is one of the better up tempo cuts from the album and a good one to follow the Greyson and Jasun track. I believe this cut also made it as a single as well. It also features some pretty dope scratch sentences for battle DJs such as "Tell'em who the fuck I am"... perfect. How You Livin is another nice cut and Hip Hop Blues could be the first time we hear the Lee Michael's piano loop from Who Could Want More. Well, certainly before Young MC took it to The Principal's Office and the pop charts. Tough to get a hold of.

9) Maestro Fresh Wes - The Mic's My Piece
Symphony In Effect - LMR Records 1989

There has been some interest in the career of Canada's' Fresh Wes over the past year or so and this cut is a smoker from his debut Symphony in Effect. Using the Mic as his metaphoric glock, Wes rips through the cut at high speed while Joe Tex and Rakim make up the chorus. Good stuff from his first effort. Although this album doesn't go for as much as his 3rd Lp album, Naa Dis Kid Can't Be From Canada (produced by Showbiz), it offers a nice spotlight on an up and coming MC. There should be plenty of copies floating around.

10) Doctor Ice - The Mic Stalker
The Mic Stalker - Jive 1989

Remember Full Force? The 6 Hulksters who look like they stepped right out of the local GNC and into the production spotlight during the 1980s. These guys banged out a number of hits for Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam and should be most thanked for their work with UTFO (Roxanne Roxanne). In 1989 They produced UTFO member Doctor Ice's Mic Stalker solo album for Jive. Although most of there shit leans toward the weak side production wise, this little ditty sparked hardy and clever lyrics from the Doctor. The Ice man dropped MCs not with his hands but with "premeditated literature". Damn, that's a good line… There are a few solid tracks off this LP with some good sample sentences to be dug out as well. You can find this one most likely in your local shop's cut out bins or a warehouse for sure.

11) Makeba and Skratch - Candy Rappers
Mental Fitness - Nuff Said 1991

I have to admit I was a little disappointed when DJ Ivory dropped Makeba and Skratch's Ain't It Funky single on his very nice Hear No Evil mix CD. I had initially planned to use that one on this mix… oh well… If any one knows the story behind these guys, please let me know. I know in addition to the aforementioned single they put out one album on the small Nuff Said label. The album has some cuts that are just as raw as that first single and this is definitely one of them. Makeba and Skratch (and Lyn Collins) move the crowd at full speed while eatin' up "the suckas" and disgarding "the candy rappers" (perfect for Fat Tapes' visual theme, eh?). There definitely is some good chemistry going on here. Get out your miner's hard hat cuz you're gonna have to go deep for these guys.

12) III Most Wanted - Lights Out
Most Wanted - Fever/Sutra 1989

About five years ago I remember diggin' at this warehouse shop on the north side of Chicago that had tons of cut outs. They would put 2 albums together and shrink wrap'em then sell them both for about 4 to 5 bucks. The three times I saw this record there it was packaged with the first EPMD album. Ahhh… those were the days. This has gotta be the best ish to come out of the Fever label or at least that I've heard. III Most Wanted's Most Wanted has got some really dope ass cuts on it including Keep Your Distance and Calm Down, which you may have heard before. Lights Out rolls along with the infamous Amen Brother break setting the pace. Nice job to Charlie Chase on chopping it up slightly different than we usually hear it. Very tough LP to come by nowadays.

13) Nice and Smooth - Dope Not Hype
Nice and Smooth - Select 1989

I know I don't need to say anything about Nice and Smooth. It's already been said, right? I will say that this cut definitely needs more exposure than most of the other jams from this self-titled classic. I guess that could be said for Dope on a Rope and Skill Trade too. I like Funky for You just as much as the next guy but this album's chocked full of great tracks. The Amen Brother break is looped up faithfully while ESG's UFO gets the chop treatment to good effect. Simple production while Nice and Smooth let all out… nice! This did get reissued on wax momentarily but I don't know if it's still around. Fuck it, if you can find it on CD don't deny yourself this classic.

14) LL Cool J - Why Do You Think They Call It Dope?
Walking With A Panther - Def Jam 1989

Well according to LL it's because "a lotta hype lines make one dope rhyme". And hype lines are given… Indeed! Everybody knows Uncle L's musical output and I'm sure you got Walking with a Panther in your crates, but this is a nice hidden little number tucked away at the end of side A. This track is all about the definition of dope full of that LL hardcore touch. To close the track Cut-Creator chops up To Be Real, guaranteed to send goose bumps up your spine to your already nodding head. I kept a loop from the Nice and Smooth cut going underneath to boost up the track a little. Another easy purchase here.

15) Hostyle - It's Our Turn
Get Off - Atlantic 1989

I really don't know the history behind Hostyle other than Kaos and DJ Homicide were another late 80s Atlantic group that seemed to have disappeared into obscurity after one release. This album is sort of all over the place as far as style goes. There's the standard love track Just A Dream Away and your basic House cut In The House. There's even an "educational" cut on farting, Oops, There Goes Another, complete with ass squirts and toilet flushes. Getting past that drek, Get Off does offer a few hard hitting tunes like Keep On Moving, Hardcore and the smoker featured here, It's Our Turn. Sure the Incredible Bongo Band's Apache was a sure shot looped up on any track at the time, but Hostyle came with raw lyrics to take the cut to the next level. DJ Homicide displayed some nice scratching skills as well. A copy is probably waiting for your dollar in the cheap bins...

16) Lakim Shabazz - When You See A Devil Smash Him
The Lost Tribe of Shabazz - Tuff City 1990

I was never too good with math but I know one equation that holds true: Lakim + 45 King = DOPE! Lakim really deserves more exposure on his first album, Pure Righteousness, and his sophomore release, Lost Tribe of Shabazz. This gem is taken from the second album released in 1990. To my ears this track is one of many that epitomizes the early signature sound that DJ Mark the 45 King cultivated during his stint at Tuff City. Lakim laced the cut with his politically conscious lyrics which make up the majority of his catalogue. If this don't get your soul groovin, then you're a devil that needs smashin! His 2 LPs and twelves are getting harder to come by these days.

17) Craig G - Dopest Duo
The Kingpin - Atlantic 1990

After dropping singles like Shout and Transformer for the legendary Pop Art label in the Mid 80's, Juice Crew alumni Craig G dropped this album for Atlantic in 1990. While not spectacular it does offer a few good tracks like Dopest Duo and The Final Chapter. Marley Marl completists will want to pick this up since he's turnin' the knobs. Marly really had a good ear for pulling in guitar riffs for his productions. The whole thing works perfectly as Craig and Marly certainly make a nice team. And the Spock sample suggests a parallel with another dope duo known as Shatner and Nimoy. And on that note, you don't have to travel to the corners of the universe to find this one.

18) Big Daddy Kane - The Wrath of Kane
I'll Take You There 12" - Cold Chillin 1988

Whoa! Why this track wasn't included on Kane's classic Long Live the Kane I'll never know. It hits as hard as anything from that album or the follow up, It's A Big Daddy Thing. This track lives as the b-side to the single I'll Take You There in 12" and 7" format (the 45 comes in a nice little picture sleeve too). This is Kane at his best with Marley and Mr. Cee providing excellent production and DJ work. It's all tight and mows you over at high speed. As far as I know this single has not been reissued. Some fans thought they were getting this track on the recently released The Very Best of Big Daddy Kane, but the track presented is a live version. The live version is okay but the studio version would have been a better addition to the compilation. You shouldn't have too much difficulty spotting this one since Kane was a popular artist for Cold Chillin, selling a decent amount back in the day. Just be prepared to pay around 15 to 20 bones.

19) Maestro Fresh Wes - Jazz Tip
Another Funky Break 12" - Polydor 1991

Here's Wes again, and this time he's updated his sound stepping into the 90's with the help of Main Source's K-Cut and Sir Scratch with this incredible smoker. The production on this joint is just as solid as anything off of Breaking Atoms. Crisp drums with a nice bass line and guitar riff coupled with a little piano tinkle provides motivation for a powerful delivery by the Maestro. This is without a doubt the best track from his sophomore release A Black Tie Affair. It's a decent album with some good tracks but it does have some duds. The bonus about the single (pictured here) is you get the instrumental. Man, I could listen to that for days. Another one that's getting tougher to find.

20) Godfather Don - Sleeping With the Enemy
Hazardous - Select 1991

This is a fucking great album! How the Hell this slipped past the "reissue radar" I don't know. Hazardous is one of the better offerings that Select put out there in the very early 90s. It's chocked full of fast rhymes and up-tempo production all laid down by Don himself. Sleepin With the Enemy is just one of many burners from the LP. The title track along with Read The Lines, Keep Sweatin' and Involuntary Excellence never disappoint. Don went on to turn some knobs and guest spot on Ultramagnetic MCs Four Horsemen LP for Wild Pitch and continued his recording relationship with Kool Keith as Cenobites. This album is very hard to come by even on CD let alone wax. So please, if you see the CD just get it! It's a damn classic!
Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:30 pm
rubix138

Why do I have to create an account to d/l a free album ?
Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:40 pm
sequence

rubix138 wrote:
Why do I have to create an account to d/l a free album ?

Because, much like Major League Baseball, SFR wants to keep track of you. Get the tinfoil.
Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:44 pm
bakemosphere

cus they're tracking IPs to see if anyone on here who claims they buy stuff actually has an account and intends to buy stuff :P
Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:55 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Its also part of introducing people to our digital store because that's what you need to do to download albums. We'l be giving away more free projects.
Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:17 pm
Corey_AM

This is really cool. Thanks!
Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:19 pm
rubix138

SFR and their marketing ploy, you got me!
Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:28 pm
mattrego

This is great. Thanks. King Sun. Doc from UTFO. Nice.
Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:33 pm
Jesse

Skimmed over gems from the artist formerly known as Hostyle, eh? Now THAT piques my interest...
Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:00 pm
boodah

hey sage, i like it!
Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:01 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I'm not sure why the names of the artists aren't listed int he download we are offering. I will have that fixed at some point.

No one asked about that, I'm just speaking out loud.
Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:51 pm
Jesse

Yeah I can't conveniently play it in my mp3 jammy if it isn't tagged, it just doesn't show up in the list... and I am psyched to hear it so this dismays me.
Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:22 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Well, I'm not sure why it doesn't show up in your MP3 player. It should be tagged as Sloppy White.

The decision to not include the name of the groups was an odd one. But all will be fixed.
Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:24 am
PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG
the godfather of troll

ahh the Mic Stalker I had that album from Doctor Ice what a disappointment
and sleeping with the enemy I assum that's paris?
why no "coffee, donuts, death, or the extended version of "bush killa"
or "days of old"
Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:01 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Days of Old is my jam.

I'm saving that for my own podcast. haha
Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:04 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next