Search
Register
2 "Live Evel" reviews
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

tom inhaler
me too!

2 "Live Evel" reviews  Reply with quote  

a small one from Toph One's Lucky 13 column, in XLR8R #118 (June/July issue).

It's hard not to love a record dedicated to the memory of Evel Knievel, and joined by Sage Francis and Alias on "Heart Failure", B. Dolan gives up the goods. Long live that real American badass.

also, from popmatters.org:

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/reviews/article/58781/b-dolan-live-evel/

This is one of the most important hip-hop EPs in years. Rhode Island’s B. Dolan is the perfect hybrid of Buck 65 and Strange Famous boss Sage Francis and that is in full flight here. He is half artsy storyteller and half righteous political activist, and always with the fantastic, crunchy, cinematic beats the label is renowned for. Alias, Reanimator, and Isan all pitch in tune, among some surprising minimal folk that adds to the mood and variety immensely.

“The Skycycle Blues” puts you square in the grab-death-by-the-short-and-curlies, fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants ego of the ninth wonder of the world, Evel Knievel. The live audience subject to Dolan’s reading doesn’t seem to know if it’s supposed to take it seriously, but there are no illusions here as they quickly find out. Bernard tells Evel’s whole story from fame and fortune and the true motivation behind challenging the limits of possibility to loss of health in old age, deathbed religious conversion, and the unavoidable failing of everyone close to him as payment for dreaming. Laying that over a sparse upright bass, piano, trumpet, cymbal roll, and electric piano all barely playing at the same time lends a City Lights basement beat poet vibe to the recording. “He was not a good man, but was a great man.” I hadn’t thought of him in years, and now he will never leave me. I bet most kids today have never heard of him, but they will google him if they cop this mini-masterpiece. It’s riveting.

Live Evel has seven whole tracks, equal to about half the tracklisting from his long-awaited debut full-length The Failure. The album is well worth your time, but this EP has a lot of the best parts from it. “The Crow on the Riddle” is a downtempo Tom Waits track with a drunk telling riddles to a computer. That one acts as a concept for the full record, with a man removed from society and only an inhuman voice to keep him company, but it’s the only taste you get here. Showing his spiritual side, “Joan of Arcadia” paints the martyred French savior as a sexually ecstatic warrior poet with a dildo made of Jesus’ cross, sluggishly motivated by a lagging, popping electronic beat. Dolan’s ability to get in the heads of his lyrical subjects is enchanting and otherworldly at all times. This makes Live Evel a work of art in the best sense of the term.
Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:43 pm
b. dolan
FBI agent

half righteous!
Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:24 am
futuristxen

I hate both reviews. But it's great that people are writing about the EP.

I wish I could actually listen to my copy of the EP. Still waiting for a certain Mr. Hall to replace my copy after he stepped on my record player and made half the record unplayable(and of course it just had to be the Skycycle Blues side of the record). I think the album was cursed anyways, because soon after in a fit of crazy I snapped said unplayable record in two, and my roommate made an ashtray out of the remains.
Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:36 am
Bryan

Congrats on the reviews.

I'm not sure that I get the hybrid of Buck and Sage line. But at least the writer really enjoyed it!
Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:39 am
BR

Re: 2 "Live Evel" reviews  Reply with quote  

tom inhaler wrote:
He is half artsy storyteller and half righteous political activist, and always with the fantastic, crunchy, cinematic beats the label is renowned for.

SFR with the crunchy beats! haha
Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:14 pm
Jesse

It's a real good record. I am proud to own it.
Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:08 pm
knowrites

Jesse wrote:
It's a real good record. I am proud to own it.
Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:49 pm

Jump to: