Search
Register
Favorite Beer
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Captiv8

I just bought the Landshark last night because it was on sale and I have a tendency to revert to things I have good memories attached to when I'm feeling a little down. Guinness is the beer I drink most often. I thought that people were talking shit when they said that Guinness in Ireland tastes different and better, but then I went to the brewery and it rocked my socks. If you get a chance to go, do it, and stop by the Jameson's distillery too. I've enjoyed some Jolly Pumpkin and Bell's before, but most of the ones I try are one-offs and I never come across them again.

Orkney Skullsplitter has been a delicious treat from time to time.

Fat Tire is tasty as well, but I haven't seen it for a while. Maybe I'm not looking.

Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:47 am
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

perfect after dinner beer or 4(it comes in 4 packs)

PERFECT summertime brew sitting outside bbqing this one is for you

went to this micro brewery last year for a fund raiser and was pleasantly surprised by there selection there IPA and moca java stout were the 2 that stood out in my eyes

and every beer this microbrewery offers is worth trying once

http://www.dragonmead.com/Beers.html
Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:15 am
lacezilla

Re: Favorite Beer  Reply with quote  

[quote="Captiv8"]1) Guiness. It's so filling, and so incredibly delicious. The only beer acceptable to make a black and tan with. If you're from Michigan, you may have enjoyed a black and blue, which is Guinness with Blue Moon (beer, not the ice cream).
[quote]
In my experiences a black and blue has been guiness and wachusett blueberry. Which is rather delicious. I tend to drink a lot of sam adams. My favorite would be black lager. You should definitely give that a try. I go to this bar that always has 99 different bottles of beer, and like 16 oddball things on tap. I try something new every week or so, (well a few new things a night).
Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:24 am
mindtoast

hoegaarden
Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:33 am
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

mindtoast wrote:
hoegaarden

not bad but nothing exceptionally good
Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:36 am
Junny Concept

this is always a good stand by if a place has it...

stella artois is good

columbus brewing company as an apricot ale which is that piff.
Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:08 am
Stumbleweed

Hoegaarden is fabulous in a draft -- tasted much better in Europe than the bottles here... I've never found a draft Hoegaarden in the US. Apparently they changed the brewery (ownership change or something) and the beer went slightly downhill the last few years.. so I'm not sure if what I had in Amerstadam was some of the last previous-owner beer or what, but I fell in love with it. Heh, plus, the local French bistro here does a mussels, frites, and Hoegaarden special, so that entrenched it even further..

My favorite beers when I want to splurge come from Ommegang Brewery in Cooperstown, NY. I love Belgian trappist-style brews and they do it better than anyone. All of them that I've tried are great -- they're expensive champagne bottle-style singles, but worth it every time.

As far as regular beers, I tend to drink wheat beers 85% of the time, especially when it's warm outside. Aside from bottled Hoegaarden, I drink Sam Adams White (and Cherry Wheat), Red Stripe, New Belgium Sunshine Wheat, Blue Moon, and Sapporo when I make stir-fry or something spicy.

Dark beers, I enjoy the Avery Brewing The Czar and The Kaiser -- both really strong high APV, malty, tasty.. good stuff. If I really want to get some dark shit, I'll go with Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout -- THAT's a beer that you need to drink with a knife and fork. Also, I like New Belgium 1554 as a light beer masquerading as a dark beer -- soft taste and not so much alcohol sting.
Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:10 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Captiv8

I'll second your endorsement of Oberon mortalthoughts. So good with that little orange slice in it.

A big hell yes to Boddington's and Strongbow, even if they aren't beers. When I was in England I tried another hard cider drink called Scrumpy Jack and it was definitely the lesser version. Never again. In that vein, what the hell is up with dandelion and burdock? I tried to drink an entire two liter of this stuff over the course of a week and I couldn't do it. Never again.

Stumbleweed, I just tried some stuff from the Ommegang brewery a week or two ago and they were fantastic. Good choice. I know have two reasons to visit Cooperstown.
Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:33 am
Asterax

I can't wait to have some Sam's October Fest!
Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:47 am
eddiehaskill

I'm a huge fan of Belgium beers so Hank, the Duvel is one of my favorites as well. That was until I had a Delerium. Sucks that its also the most expensive beer I've found. Figures

Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:54 pm
Captiv8

^^^ I have had this and it is nothing short of amazing. The aftertaste is the final touch of excellence. Not sure how I feel about it being named after a withdrawal symptom though.
Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:09 pm
corporateslave

The delirium tremens is definitely some good, classy stuff.
One of my favorite beers I've ever had is called Lion Stout. It's made in Sri Lanka and it's pretty hard to find. The last time I had it was in Chicago about four years ago, we found it at this place that was like the Home Depot of liquor stores.

But on the daily, gotta go with Pabst. Favorite cheap beer.
Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:18 pm
Brynjar

and

Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:32 pm
poopsnack

3 pages and no mention of Stella? By far my fav.
http://www.stellaartois.com/
It's been brewed since the 14th century. Crazyness!
Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:10 pm
Captiv8

poopsnack wrote:
3 pages and no mention of Stella? By far my fav.
http://www.stellaartois.com/
It's been brewed since the 14th century. Crazyness!

I have a definite aversion to Stella because of an experience I had in New York. I was there on a history fellowship, staying at NYU and learning about the historiography and study of slavery in the United States with fifty other kids. A bunch of us went out to some bar (I was over 21 at the time, but I was never carded at any bar or when I bought alcohol at the store. Is that common?) and when we ordered our drinks these two guys from Yale told me that Stella Artois was kind of a rich man's beer. Not that it's that expensive, but that it's favored amongst the financially elite. They both had a kind of haughty attitude, and the result is that I've stayed away from Stella ever since. Maybe I should just say fuck 'em and give it a shot anyway, reclaiming the brew for the little guy.
Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:21 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next