Search
Register
"Ugly Truth" and "Failure" Review Thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

Dream Inspired

Bandini wrote:

you guys should have a youtube film festival, inviting fans to create their own music videos with your music.

i've been trying not to bring this up.
the failure should be a movie along the lines of "the wall", only a lot better.
Post Mon May 19, 2008 1:33 pm
futuristxen

Dream Inspired wrote:
Bandini wrote:

you guys should have a youtube film festival, inviting fans to create their own music videos with your music.

i've been trying not to bring this up.
the failure should be a movie along the lines of "the wall", only a lot better.

Nah. It should be like this:

But with a really high body count.
Post Mon May 19, 2008 4:23 pm
firefly

I'm in my third or fourth listen to "The Ugly Truth" and I've been loving every minute of it.

Can't really pick a favorite track. The whole album is dope.

This is my favorite work by Reanimator to date and I love "Music to slit wrists...). The flow from track to track is really nice and every track is interesting from start to finish. It sounds like a lot of time and attention was paid to each song. I was also really happy to hear "survived another winter" cause I loved the instrumental so much.

Prolyphic surpassed my expectations cause all I heard of him previously was from his "bad freestyle". hahaha Now I'm thinking that he can be one of my favorite rappers in the next few years for all I know. Very insightful lyrics, voice, flow, everything.

Great album. Something to be seriously proud of.
Post Wed May 21, 2008 7:03 pm
prolyphic81

firefly:

Glad to see you picked up the album and enjoy it.

respect.
Post Thu May 22, 2008 9:51 am
prolyphic81

The Ugly Truth moved up from #18 to #4 on the CMJ charts this week.

Let's keep it moving. Keep calling. Keep harassing. Maybe even keep it real.
Post Fri May 23, 2008 6:42 am
StarF68

I got the pre-ordered package deal, and was very excited around a month ago when I first received the two albums! And still a month later I continue listening to them often, and I expect that I will keep on listening to them far into the future!

The Ugly Truth is very awsome, and I love just about every song on it. Some favorite tracks are "99 Bottles," "Artist Goes Pop," "Dick & Jane," "Survive Another Winter," "Ugly Truth," and "On The Side." Everything else is absolutely great as well!

The Failure is, well, not what I expected! But even so, it was a thouroughly enjoyable listen, and refreshing, albeit different. It's hard to point out favorite tracks, because the entire album is more of an "epic journey" than a CD full of individual tracks, which is a good thing if pulled off correctly (And is indeed pulled off correctly here).

Overally both are excellent albums in my opinion, and I'm glad I got them!
Post Tue May 27, 2008 10:46 pm
futuristxen

StarF68 wrote:

The Failure is, well, not what I expected! But even so, it was a thouroughly enjoyable listen, and refreshing, albeit different. It's hard to point out favorite tracks, because the entire album is more of an "epic journey" than a CD full of individual tracks, which is a good thing if pulled off correctly (And is indeed pulled off correctly here).

Your "favorite tracks" are Skycycle Blues, Still Electric, Kate, and Heart Failure. See. And in a few months you'll add Junk Poetry, Joan of Arcadia, Young Americans, and I don't know...maybe The Crow on the Riddle to that list.

"Epic journey"...there's no hobbits on this album. And if there were they'd be hanging by their intestines as a warning to future fantastical adventurers. This is an "epic journey" like Suspiria is an "epic journey".

Incidentally, I think Junk Poetry is starting to move up with Skycycle Blues on my favorite tracks list. I find myself saying odd bits from that piece in various contexts in my life, either alone or with friends. It's completely terrifying. And it segues perfectly into the Scorpion Arrives.
Post Tue May 27, 2008 11:18 pm
MessiahCarey

futuristxen wrote:
the Scorpion Arrives.

:) That's the song I'm on!

and hey...I liked Suspiria.

Back to Beedeezy though, I have had the pleasure 3 times in the past month of turning people on to the record...which is good because I don't often listen to it enough on my own. When I show other people, it gives me that opportunity to pick it apart again.

The album is intense.

Like a circus fire.
Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:09 am
futuristxen

MessiahCarey wrote:
futuristxen wrote:
the Scorpion Arrives.

:) That's the song I'm on!

and hey...I liked Suspiria.

I know :D

And so do I. That stained glass window scene at the beginning is better than ten hobbits and a ring of power anyday.
Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:21 pm
Freshman_Woes82

Saw this on Urb.com today, it got a 3 out of 5.

We love to hear the story, again and again, about the new artist put out by other well established MCs. That’s the story behind Prolyphic who was “match made” by Sage Francis with producer Reanimator, all of whom are under Sage’s Strange Famous label. Prolyphic’s steady tone flow sounds like a spoken word track over beats that Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde from subtle to climatic. It works for the first few tracks then it starts to dull, as Prolyphic never seems to match the hype of the beats. Then again not all of Reanimator’s beats stay engaging, leaving listeners with an abstract, open-mic activist’s message. With songs that expose the real world through the eyes of the MC, The Ugly Truth is a 15 track soapbox, but at least there is beauty in the breakdown.

http://www.urb.com/reviews/cd/feature.php?ReviewId=649
Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:06 am
passenger

Freshman_Woes82 wrote:
but at least there is beauty in the breakdown.

ha, this made me laugh
Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:56 am
smake

This review is way off. He should have listened to it more thorougly. I understand what he talks about, the spoken word over beats. At first listen it might seem a bit like that, but man, after a couple of listens you start to notice the subtle changes in the vocals and the switch-ups. It is THEN that you start to hear how good the vocals fit the beats. And the vocals also fit the mood of the beats, but you have got to delve into the tracks.

Also, I am digging every beat on this record, all tracks sound different, which is an amazing accomplishment. Pffft, review seems to have been written after a casual listen. This record deserves your full attention, over and over again.
Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:29 pm
prolyphic81

As long as you guys enjoy the album, thats all that matters. I could give a fuck what URB thinks. I have never picked up or not picked up an album because of what URB said about it.
Post Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:10 am
Corey_AM

After one full listen of The Ugly Truth:

I anticipated this album more than any other in recent memory. Even a bit more than Death Dance. I put off listening to any of it (except SAW) until I had it in my possession. Surprisingly abrasive in some parts, which I love. Pro comes across... I dunno, angstier maybe, haha, and more confident and comfortable. Reanimator just knows what the fuck he is doing, period. It may be even better than I hoped. Well done.

That is my snap judgment. Birthday money well spent.

I haven't listened to the new failure yet but I like the tour one a lot so I'm not expecting my feelings on it to change much.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:50 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Ugly Truth reviewed by Textura

http://www.textura.org/reviews/prolyphicreanimator.htm

Prolyphic and Reanimator: Artist Goes Pop
Strange Famous Records

Raw and gritty hip-hop from Prolyphic and Reanimator, the first group signed to Strange Famous Records. Abetted by Sage Francis, B. Dolan, and Alias, the duo takes no prisoners on its debut single (a teaser to The Ugly Truth full-length) and fearlessly spews vitriol in the direction of consumer culture and sell-outs of various stripes. Ostensibly a scathing indictment of mainstream music-making, “Artist Goes Pop” barrels out of the gate with a child-like carousel motif splintered by a towering head-nodding groove and rapper Prolyphic's biting rhymes into a thousand fragments. Reanimator powers “Survived Another Winter” with a low-down funk groove that nicely serves the angry diatribe Prolyphic and guests Sage Francis, B. Dolan, and Alias deliver, attacking those who head West in search of fame (“Because I'd rather fill my lungs with chimney smoke / As opposed to California smog that always seem to make me choke”). Buoyed by a woozy piano loop, a double-time hi-hat pulse, and raunchy guitar riffing, Prolyphic performs somersaults in the only non-album cut “Salt.” The 12-inch's B-side serves up instrumental versions of the three tracks that are just as satisfying as the vocal takes as they enable the listener to more easily appreciate Reanimator's solid production and programming skills. Minus the frenetic vocalizing, the material feels slightly calmer and therefore goes down a little more easily too—“Salt” even includes a harp and flute(!) break near its end.

June 2008
Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:24 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next