Search
Register
An email I sent to my heart broken Grandmother.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

An email I sent to my heart broken Grandmother.  Reply with quote  

My grandmother emailed me and told me how horrible she felt about the war. My response to her could probably apply to a lot of you. I put a lot of thought and feeling into my response. I would like to share it with you in hopes that it actually makes sense in your own situation:

Grandma,
I know. Hearts are breaking all over the place. Its inconceivable what is happening. You are from a much different era than me so I don't know what your feelings have been on the American government for most of your life. I was raised in the post-vietnam era...my friends and I have always been fairly skeptical of the government and its intentions. We don't have a history of honest, trustworthy leaders.
However great this nation may have once been, it has lost the trust of the world and its own people. We can thank a greedy few. We can also thank the people who didn't question authority and interupt corruption when they should have. It is fairly obvious now that WE THE PEOPLE have no power. Not even the UN could stop the cowboy.
It's amazing.
I chalk this experience up as another reason why I must act as a wrench in the works of anything that governs my brothers and sisters so poorly.

What IS beautiful about the land I live on is the people I surround myself with. The community and the activities we take solace in. We're not broken. There are still special things for us to cling onto and and build from.
It seems that we are involved in a never-ending war, but when I stick my dirty socks in the mouth of recruitment officers at highschools, they won't be able to infect as many brains. When less people are convinced that it is a good idea to forfeit their free will to the corruption up top, I won't have to feel as bad about not "supporting the troops."
Innocent people die all the time in war...they are called soldiers. Today's casualties took orders from a system that infected their brain during a time when no one else on OUR side could convince them otherwise.
Logic and rationality are such important tools. Imagine the power that we the people would have if the motivation in what we do relied first on logic (nevermind compassion and respect for life in general.)

But what good is an army full of independent thinkers?

These are issues that have plagued humanity since the first fist was made. Some of us aren't strong enough to resist the temptation to test our strength. Unfortunately, I am not above this urge to fight and destroy whatever threatens my potential joy of life. When I am at my best, I am able to convince people that their health and happiness depends on their own ability to make the right decisions. It's unfair to only do that with the people I love...but I have to start there.

Don't let the current events of this misguided world grind on your consciousness. You've done too much to support the cause of positivity and fairness to let the failure of others affect your ability to enjoy life.

Continue to do what you know is right and resist what you know is wrong. Please don't trouble yourself too much over the failures of others, because you are special to me...and I am holding an important torch that you helped pass on.

That torch is a feeling in my stomach.
I follow it. I believe in it. Apparently there are people who have been taught to ignore it. You have nothing to do with them.

love,
paul

Last edited by Sage Francis on Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:22 am
futuristxen

thanks sage
Post Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:28 am
barlow

I have never used the word beautiful in front of any member of my family.
Post Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:43 am
dirtdog

well put.
we're all feeling helpless, me thinks. I just hope we all remember this when the next presidential election comes around. If there's even someone worth voting for. Anybody but W.
Now we all have to deal with worse stereotypes of American swine. Sorry to be so negative, but this is the reality.
Post Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:20 am
activate_change

Nice break down, But i think you underestimate the powers that we the people do have in our society today. Sure, we didn't vote for this president and he might of just entered us into the begining of world war 3, but we the people do have power. The power to stop this war. We are the WORKERS, the CONSUMERS, the citizens. Without us, this capitalistic system fails and crumbles. We can stop this war with labor strikes and protests!!! But it seems only us in S.F. are really down to see this administration tremble. I only hope this type of protest expands nationally. We can't do it alone.
Post Fri Mar 21, 2003 3:05 am
maxamillion

Your grandma can be proud of you!!

Look mom I'm a productive member to society
When I rap I make noise otherwise I live quietly(?)
Post Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:12 am

Jump to: