Search
Register
Politically Incorrect
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Bartus

Politically Incorrect  Reply with quote  

I havn't visited the board in sometime and I'm too lazy to check our the old posts, but i'm sorry if I am bringing up an old topic. I just wanted to express my disgust with the fact the show Politically Incorrect has been cancelled.
If any of you did not get the pleasure of really becoming a regular viewer to this show you surely missed a lot. The format of the show was Bill Mahr discussing current events with 4 guests. These guests were always people such as celebrities, newspaper collumnists, or authors. The beauty of the show was the fact on every single show no one agreed so you got to witnesss people attacking an issue and seeing the different views/sides. Maybe this show wasn't the BEST show on television, but it was surely one of the MOST important. All we have on television are boring news shows discussing things irrelevant to the normal citizen or our local news just telling us what is going on. We never get to actually step back and see how current events are effecting us unless we do it ourselves, which is difficult at times because unless you read the newspaper everyday you get disconnected and dont fully understand the issue (plus collumnists always find a way to speak over our heads). Bill brought up topics like hybrid cars, legalizing marijuana, vegetarianism, and other such topics that no other television show would dare discuss.
Now that this show is gone we no longer have any important discussion shows on television. I'm not sure why the show was cancelled, but for some reason the network canned it. The second to last show was a great final show because the guests discussed solely the importance of a show like politically incorrect to television and our society. It is no surprise to me the show was cancelled because it just fits with the current times when our country is focusing on all the wrong things.
Did any of you watch this show regularly? It was brilliant, I always found my self yelling at the television at the conservative guests, haha. I learned a lot from this show, it taught me things I would not have known about if not for watching it. I always used to express how I wished the show was an hour long instead of a half hour, but that was a waste of time because now it isn't even on television.
Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 1:12 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

we did discuss this on the other board and I was stuck defending Bill Maher's assholeness.

he kicks ass for being so unaplogetic with his opinions.
Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 1:30 pm
Debeautar

Poor Bill  Reply with quote  

Disgust or not, you've got a society that is subject-sensitive. Problem with Politically Incorrect has always been... that it was... say it with me, class: POLITICALLY INCORRECT!

Basically, Bill Maher's ill-fated program has been on the downhill ever since he made the comment about 'being a coward' and 'chucking missles from 3,000 miles away' and such... dude just lost his friend, and a almost-weekly guest in the tragedy, and I think it was irresponsible, the way the media handled the whole thing; made Bill seem like an anti-american or something. Bill spoke his mind! He always has done that, and whether or not he disapproved of what America did DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER! Several months ago, almost EVERYONE was against this country for one reason or another. We all realized we had nothing but an oil puppet in office, and incompetent buffoon. And ya know what? He's STILL the same fucking baffoon he's always been!

But even Bill held back this comment; he had already lost his sponsorship on many networks for questioning America, and I think it's a sad state that we are in, when we can't speak our minds freely.

Bill would've been the FIRST to tell you that all of this bullshit being said by the television news media about 'being safe on the fourth, to protect us from any possible terrorist activity on our nation's birthday'... is NOTHING but crap. My lord, are we so far beyond reason, that we let the media control our fear for their own ratings? Come ON now! The terrorists chose September 11th to attack... what's the symbolism in that? NOTHING!!!! You think they'd do this on a national holiday? NO!!!! Because we'd be expecting it, and feeding our media with viewership, churning the capitalist wheel.

Now, in southern California, because there was a shooting at LAX, and a cessna that crashed into a suburban city (one that's not too far from me, as well... maybe 10 miles, tops)... the media has JUMPED on both incidents, constantly saying "We don't know if these events have any ties to any terrorist activites, but stay TUNED and we'll bring you up-to-date." The media used to have a counter-punch for this sort of news-injected hysteria... and because of Disney/ABC... we don't have it anymore.

So what if Bill Maher was a dick... he told it like it was. If you don't care for him, don't listen to him. But, admire the guy who actually made the format work, and made it enjoyable. It's astounding that it lasted this long.

I want it back, but I also want the media to shut the fuck up. Mick Jagger's comforting words of "Can't Always Get Whatcha Want" do me no good at this hour.

Thanks,
Debeautar

ps. Damn, I'm bitter.
Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 4:41 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

What he said was the truth, no matter how emotionally involved he was to the 9/11 attacks.

that's what makes his comments all the more commendable.

He is the ONLY person who I heard in the pop media saying anything that made sense.
Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 10:26 pm
Tony@Beyond Space

I hope another network picks it up. I dont know about the contract with abc
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 12:20 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MAGIstraight

I'd love to see Comedy Central pick it up... Freedom of speech up on that channel
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 12:23 am
Tony@Beyond Space

magistraight wrote:
I'd love to see Comedy Central pick it up... Freedom of speech up on that channel

Yes and maybe give them a earlier time slot.
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 12:37 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dabinduppes

he paid the ultimate price after the "usa=cowardly war" deal...its true hes never apologized for shit. They were interviewing him and he said he wants to do more tv but he doesnt want to do the PI format at all. Kinda sucks but Ill watch anything he does.
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 6:43 am

Jump to: