Boston Herald gives SFR props for "outshining" KRS
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Boston Herald gives SFR props for "outshining" KRS  Reply with quote  

The Boston Herald headline reads:
"Openers Outshine Good but Tardy KRS-One"

This isn't exactly the type of press I was hoping for, but it is a bit satisfying to see some of my opinions on Boston's show be validated by someone outside of the SFR camp.

We're no legends of hip-hop. Our names will never be engraved in any Hall of Fame plaque. Ask any purist, and you'll be told that the REAL hip-hop ain't over here. So if it upsets you to hear that 4 car mechanics were able to give KRS a run for his money at these shows we totally understand. Haha. But I digress.

Check us out in Providence tonight (May 11th, 2008.)

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/music/general/view.bg?articleid=1092944

By Chris Faraone
Saturday, May 10, 2008

Near the end of his hour-plus set at Harpers Ferry on Thursday, living rap god KRS-One declared, “I’m just here to set the standard for what hip-hop should be. If the rappers coming up now don’t do this better than me, then the culture has gone nowhere.”

He must have realized that four white guys who look like car mechanics had already upstaged him.

In an odd but sensible match-up, anti-establishment Providence MC Sage Francis and his Strange Famous Records posse opened for KRS. The set launched with vitriolic spoken word poet B. Dolan rapping through an eerie rubber mask and bashing Hillary Clinton.

It takes a skilled showman to get heads singing unfamiliar hooks, and Dolan got people chanting “One Breath Left.” The exchange continued when he was joined by Maine fringe rap icon Alias, Quincy-based MC Prolyphic and Francis for the New England anti-anthem “Survived Another Winter.”

With his crew offstage, Francis ran through “Damage,” headbanged to M.O.P.’s “Ante Up” and ripped “Civil Disobedience” over a super-corny ’80s dance sample. He even topped his dropping the introspective “Hell of a Year” and vehement “Makeshift Patriot” by break dancing and blowing his nose on a monitor speaker.

After a 1 -hour intermission, during which some fans booed, KRS surfaced. This was his first show since a fan hit him with a bottle while he was performing in New Haven, Conn., last month, and fans welcomed him back warmly.

Although KRS brought his trademark energy, his set lacked organization. Props to DJs E-Ness and Slipwax of the Deck Demons for masterfully improvising, but the obvious lack of planning was as insulting as the headliner’s tardiness.

When he finished berating the sound man, KRS jumped into staples including “South Bronx” and “Step Into a World.” He floated in and out of topical freestyles for the next hour, while sporadically dipping into choice cuts from “Return of the Boom Bap” and last year’s “Hip-Hop Lives.”

In the end, KRS did not disappoint; his sermonlike anti-monopolistic tirades were both fierce and poignant. But for anyone who came for a professionally tuned rhyme spectacle, Francis and the Strange Famous dudes were the more compelling attraction.

Almost all MCs say that KRS-One’s live tactics inspired them, but Francis and his people truly backed the claim. Had he arrived in time to see them, the Blastmaster himself would have been proud.

Last edited by Sage Francis on Sun May 11, 2008 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun May 11, 2008 11:31 am
futuristxen

Haha fringe rap icon. And car mechanics...hahaha.

Congratitudes!
Post Sun May 11, 2008 11:51 am
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

ya crazy bums
get a job allready

:P
Post Sun May 11, 2008 11:58 am
Donato

swweeeettt! Though could it be said without the master, the padawan remains lowly sandrat from a planet with two moons? (end geek metaphor)

Great quote too, his persona and ideology included on and off the beat is what I think makes him a legendary artist. Shitty about the bottle thing, I was going to go if I didn't have prior engagements when he was at Toad's.

I can certainly see Sage and the SFR crew being a part of that group to an extent the mainstream would allow. Perhaps you won't receive a plaque or hands molded in gold, but to ignore or dismiss what you have brought/will continue I hope! to the hip hop powwow is to boldly engrave a scarlet letter of naivety on the chest damnit.
Post Sun May 11, 2008 12:02 pm
True School Session

congrats on the praise. Farone writes some decent stuff on the Boston scene.
Post Sun May 11, 2008 12:08 pm
knowrites

Re: Boston Herald gives SFR props for "outshining"  Reply with quote  

Sage Francis wrote:

We're no legends of hip-hop. Our names will never be engraved in any Hall of Fame plaque.

don't give up yet.
i mentioned strange famous in my non-credit math class, and a guy turned around and said... things.
i was excited. thats probably the first time i've ever has someone over here me talking about you guys and actually started talking.
usually it's just 'who? what?'
same thing happened to a friend of mine a few weeks ago..
Sage Francis wrote:

This was his first show since a fan hit him with a bottle while he was performing in New Haven, Conn., last month, and fans welcomed him back warmly.

*shame*
Post Sun May 11, 2008 12:09 pm
futuristxen

incidentally, would his write-up have been worse if he had omitted that the performers upstaging KRS were white?
Post Sun May 11, 2008 12:17 pm
Captiv8

Oh how I wish I could hear your version of Ante Up. I can only imagine the greatness!
Post Sun May 11, 2008 12:29 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

Fucking Boston media. What a bunch of homers.
Post Sun May 11, 2008 12:37 pm
Charlie Foxtrot

the mean wrote:
What a bunch of homers.

What?
Post Sun May 11, 2008 12:49 pm
Lusid
http://youtube.com/watch?v=skCV2L0c6K0

I shaved my facial hair and heard a band play Born Under a bad Sign lastnight.
I was Homer for a minute.

Grats SFF, for being in the position to be able to have a show with KRS, and then taking it to a level that outshines (in anyone's opinion) such a legend.

Quick, throw those mutton chops back on and you might score a spot on MTV.
(Zan on TRL, who wouldn't want to see that?)
Post Sun May 11, 2008 1:03 pm
BKGSP

Props on the good review....although it seems like the writer hasnt been to many hip-hop shows seeing he/she complained a few times about the headliner being an hour late...doesnt he/she know thats how hip-hoppers roll? ha

And an hour late is nothing ha
Post Sun May 11, 2008 6:27 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

He was being kind to KRS. It was definitely more than an hour.

However, at tonight's show in Providence he actually hit the stage a little early.
Post Sun May 11, 2008 11:38 pm
Dj Mayonnaise

We have Wizard Security to thank for the lack of riots that evening.
Post Mon May 12, 2008 6:36 am
BKGSP

Still, acts coming on late at hip-hop shows is nothing new...it sucks for the fans to wait that long but most acts seem to do it...the only act I've seen that actually performed sort of on time wasnt even hip-hop (Feist)

That being said, seeing KRS perform two nights in a row mustve been dope
Post Mon May 12, 2008 7:33 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next