Search
Register
My Life in a Nutshell (for future interviewers or whoever)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

SoundReasoning

Sage on Beats  Reply with quote  

Sage, can you explain a bit some of your thoughts and ideas on the beats you choose and your involvement with production overall? Have you ever put down the pen and started banging on an Drum Machine? How do beats affect your writing or is it more your writing that affects your beats?
Post Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:19 am
Dionysus

Dr. Kris Knacker Esq. wrote:
Sage Francis wrote:
i wrote it because I am SO tired of telling the same story in every interview. Whenever they ask "Who is Sage Francis" I am going to cut and paste this shit. It will be interesting to see what parts they choose to use.

Not to be an ass, but I think you mean, copy and paste! :idea:

mayhaps he MEANT cut (with scissors) and paste (with the tasty white kind)

Hmmmmm?!!
Post Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:00 pm
denali137

past experiences  Reply with quote  

ahh i like to draw things from my past experiences, its like jesus christ ive heard that before, I disagree how you discount west coast hip hop of your era sold out. A lot of gangsta rappers may have but their shit was harder than any NY rappers maintstream bullshit of the time. I would much rather emulate a crip or blood from the latter 90's era than any Ny rapper but maybe thats just me. Ive never heard anything better than 2pac and daz dillinger collaborations from the east side, hahahhahahaha, never have i heard a NY or upper east coast rapper incorporate hallucinogens such as "shrooms" and acid into their raps fluently such as kurupt, young gotti, and furthermore, all of the west coast rappers death row rappers of the 90's would buck shots on bad boy and all of the fake east coast mobb deep lil' cease prop labels. You may say that death row and all of that is commercial rap and what not, but.... on the scale of commercial rap west coast makes the world go round compared to east coast com. rap. You may say that true "hip-hop" started i n the east blah blah bla but anyone can tell you that brothas from the west have been rappin since the 70's and still never went gold, and that hip hop started in the west, ice cube bailin through the east without a vest. So fudge you and your past live experiences now that ive dazzled you with connect gang lyrics... Little Timmy must understand that when publishing works in the public domain they are open for criticiszsm. Little billy likes to play cowboy in the morning before school and wake the neighbors. Someday billy will grow to learn to show respect for his elders. That shows characiture. But im im talkin about mental superiors, respect them my friend as it and i understand, but you know that its a cyclic mask thing brotha, i respect the lyric shut your foul stink hole, and in the future scientists will prove that we never even existed, because its true... i know i dont have to tell you to keep it real... and as well you should download "flamboastin" by E-40 ft. baby of cash money while throwing up a \x/, and smoking mid 90's west coast commercial rap bone you punker slut, but for real though its all love for the game
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:09 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

what has been attracting such MORONS to this site lately?

fuck.

No buddy...sorry...hiphop did NOT start on the west coast. No matter how you look at it. But you know what, I could really give a shit. These aren't the kind of things that I ponder on the long rides to each show.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:03 am
dura-luxe

And transistor radios, too.  Reply with quote  

Sage Francis wrote:
what has been attracting such MORONS to this site lately?

I heard you have pie. We like pie.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:29 am
CFL

denali137

If I rap about "shrooms" will you give me props in a forum? Please. Fuck off.

I remember how crazy it felt to be 15 and really give a shit about what was coming out of Chuck D's mouth. I caught so much "wigger" flack when I was in jr. high, fucking drove me insane, but I didn't give a shit, cuz PE was right. I bought the Tour of a Black Planet video and watched it every day through grade 8. I felt like I was learning while being thoroughly entertained and stimulated...I know that it's Chuck's ethos that drives my ideals about hip-hop today, why I fiercely oppose nonsensical artistry...

...fuck, most cats forget that back then PE sounded INSANE! No one was sampling like the Bomb Squad, Public Enemy sounded FRESH. It was something brand new...it was to my ears what the breaks that Kool Herc dropped for the very first time at those parties in the Bronx were. Hip hop, from it's inception, is about doing something new sonically...when it's not doing that, it bores the shit out of me.

I just feel so fortunate that I got to experience Public Enemy as a kid growing up. They influenced me as a person hugely, and I feel I'm better off for it.

Thanks Chuck, Flav & X.

And thank you, Sage.

Piece
Post Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:55 am
Merganser

A life  Reply with quote  

You cant pick apart or critisize someone elses life, its a story, you can read it and put it back on the shelf or take that story and use it in your own life. Everyone has a story to tell and it's THEIR story not yours to figure out like a math problem. And when the story is shared its not something to bitch about, its something to listen to and appreciate. Yea maybe I dont know what I am talking about but it takes a lot and says a lot about a person who will tell their story to a bunch of people they dont know.

Thanks for bio

much love
Post Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:57 pm
Lyndsey420

thanks for the peak inside of your past-
Post Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:03 pm
Cire

I'd like to hear more from 1996-present. Right now i'm an 17 year old about to graduate with no direction. And no job. Any advice for a brother?
Post Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:53 am
hugh grants hooker

Cire wrote:
I'd like to hear more from 1996-present. Right now i'm an 17 year old about to graduate with no direction. And no job. Any advice for a brother?

you should definitely be older than 17 by now.
Post Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:04 am

ianmcd

I totally enjoyed reading this.that bit about you searching for albums with black guys with chains on it had me rollin'
Post Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:32 am
DeepDishSingles

Thanks for an overview of your life...  Reply with quote  

Thanks for the overview of your life, although to some it might dissapoint them that presenting yourself as a normal human being puts you just a tad off the podium status that you used to hold. I just read what I wrote, it sounds confusing. Being someone who I can better relate through through life stories makes you less of an idol, though I doubt you'd care for at least one of two reasons:
1. You've got enough kids that worship you
2. You don't like to be seen as an idol
Either way, I hope you being more of a human, but still an inspiration to me is okay by you... If not, I'll just go eat some more deep dish singles because they taste so good.

Thanks
Post Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:09 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ninga

yo sage that story was off the hook. u got to see run dmc and public enemy in concert ur lucky. i thought ur story was moving it makes me think of other people in a whole new way. e mail me sometime

thanx, ninga1342003
Post Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:25 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10