Search
Register
they're lighting the oil fields.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

kazy

George W. has a lot of friends in the American Oil industry- lots of cheap oil would from the middle east would drive them out of business. The US and OPEC have an agreement to keep oil barrel prices at a level that profits everyone.
Post Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:01 am
MessiahCarey

kazy wrote:
George W. has a lot of friends in the American Oil industry- lots of cheap oil would from the middle east would drive them out of business. The US and OPEC have an agreement to keep oil barrel prices at a level that profits everyone.

Precisely.

Barlow's scenario sounds most likely to me.

Peace,
Shane
Post Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:09 am
merlot brougham

Yes, the oil will benifit us. But am I the only one who sees that it holds greater importance to the Iraqi people?

Sage, I consider you a smart person, but this is pretty ignorant

"this is the best news I have heard. burn it". ???
"We'd be burning oil fields too" ???

Yes, yes you would, or Saddam would fucking gas you and not in the pleasant 3rd bass way. Go watch the documentary Uncle Saddam, its refreshing.
Post Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:09 am
Reggie

It's nice that so many of you are well-informed about OPEC and the price gouging that goes on, and has been going on for decades. The average word on the street is either, "NO BLOOD FOR OIL" or "IT'S NOT ABOUT OIL" will very little discussion in between.

PS: I am not pretending to have more facts than anyone.
Post Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:10 am
SergOne

well from what it sounds like the aid for oil program is going to directly benefit the us, which companies the oil will be sold to I don't know, but bush's proposal to open up alaska for oil was turned down today, so it looks like iraq is the new alaska, and with halliburton going in to repair the fields and a us friendly government I wouldn't be suprised if iraq's oil industry is run by us based companies that just use cheap iraqi labor

also the day after bush announced the 48 hour deadline this happened : U.S. light crude fell to a near six-week low at $33.80 a barrel, down $1.13 cents. London's Brent crude dropped 78 cents to $28.70 a barrel, the lowest level since early January.

"Bush has confirmed that the United States is 48 hours away from starting an invasion and that means that the end of uncertainty for the market is near. No market likes uncertainty," said David Thurtell at Commonwealth Bank in Sydney.

Expectations of a quick allied victory with little chance of major disruptions to crude supplies from other Middle East producers also helped cool oil prices, which gained 60 percent in just over three months from the beginning of December.
Post Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:14 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
geoffwalker

sage:  Reply with quote  

burning oil fields is NOT a good thing. it's neat in the sense that it's less oil that we could "win". however, the burning of Kuwait's oil fields was one of the worst ecological disasters ever, it seems cool on the surface, but why mother-fuck mother earth son?
Post Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:22 pm
Dionysus

I think the burning of the fields is more a statement than anything at this point. Even knowing that theUS is claiming oil is not the point of the war, i fI was an Iraqi citizen, I would probably want to do the same. I would figure - "fuck it, they're going to kill me or my family, or at the least bomb my home, what the hell do I care. The last thing I'm going to do before I die is make sure there's nothing left for these bastards when they come over to reap the harvest of their war." I wouldn't be thinking about long-term rebuilding or financial impact, I'd just figure I had a few days to live and go off of that.
Post Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:24 pm
merlot brougham

what makes you think an Iraqi citizen is making this decision to burn the oil field? That is every Iraqi citizens future going up while you cheer "take that america".
Post Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:18 pm
kwestchun

Quote:

what makes you think an Iraqi citizen is making this decision to burn the oil field? That is every Iraqi citizens future going up while you cheer "take that america".

- Let's all forget the evils that America is carrying out right now and support Bush. Fuck that! You think that this will have a worse effect on their future than this war will??? C'mon man. It's all wrong, but let's not forget what's going on.
Post Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:53 pm
wordsauce

america gets its oil predominantly from kuwait i think. but you understand why cherac and the french were/are so opposed. $1.80 for gas here? No deal. $2.30 for gas in California. Gas in France is already $5.50; the French get their oil from Iraq. Let's see that number climb. And only four oil fields have been torched? Dick Cheney and co. are awaiting his fifth cheer?
Post Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:00 pm
merlot brougham

yes it will have a worse effect.

Point 1) Iraqi people are killed daily under Saddams regime, war or not. It has been estimated that the death of 200,000 citizens alone can be attributed to him. In the long-run, this is the best decision.

Point 2) When Iraq is reconstructed, its economy will be based upon oil exports. A 25 billion dollar industry can easily support a small nation.

"C'mon man. It's all wrong, but let's not forget what's going on."

Statements like this make no sense to me and they are why most protesters today are getting laughed it. Vague, misguided, and blanketed statements that do not mean anything except, "seriously dude, you know whats up, whats really happening, he didn't really win ,all the ill shit, big brother, blood for oil, innocent blah blah blah" SAY SOMETHING THAT ACTUALLY MEANS SOMETHING.
Post Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:01 pm
rae_rae

bluntedinmichigan wrote:
dude....no....i dont know about you but a buck 85 is more then enough for a gallon of gas........at the same time i kinda agree with you ......but you know...

$1.85???

damn, i thought $1.77 was a lot!!
Post Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:01 pm
Mojo the helper monkey

you guys are lucky, $2.20 here, for the cheap shit too, welcome to Northern California.
Post Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:05 pm
SergOne

shit here I'm paying like 2.21
Post Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:06 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
eggplant xanadu
try-harderator

SergOne wrote:
shit here I'm paying like 2.21

What!,1.67 in Drugachussetts
peace
Post Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:18 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next