Register
Sage interview with Skope Magazine. Long. SFR explanations
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

the mean
Certified O.G.

duck_shoe wrote:
MessiahCarey wrote:

I don't want to hijack the thread, but suffice it to say I find performances sacred in a nearly spiritual way. I think that the meat and potatoes of an artist is in whether or not they can peform...if they can't, fuck 'em.

I definitely agree with this. I wonder if that point of view is a subcultural thing; I notice it more among people who grew up attending a lot of punk rock or hardcore shows.

I think so as well. There is an intimacy you get from basement shows that isn't there in other types of venues. Hardcore bands are generally the ones doing basement shows, so there you go.
Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:13 am
Storm Davis

MessiahCarey wrote:

I don't want to hijack the thread, but suffice it to say I find performances sacred in a nearly spiritual way. I think that the meat and potatoes of an artist is in whether or not they can peform...if they can't, fuck 'em.

It was cool to see this interview and get a glimpse into the mindset Sage has regarding the label.

Troof.
Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:15 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MessiahCarey

Well...there's jam bands and stuff...yeah...subculture in general, but not specific to the genres. I remember seas of really enthused indie hip hop heads and such. Would we consider all these people part of the same subculture? I'm no expert.

To make it more relevant to the original thread - a strong argument could be made that it's Sage's performance abilities that have been the foundation for his career...even the early recorded material is what it is because of the actual recorded performance. People spoke often about seeing Sage live before I ever heard anything he'd done on record.

I'm afraid about live performance. I don't want to see a band's job be spend 8 hours doing pay-per-view user selected playlist performances.

Last edited by MessiahCarey on Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:15 am
the mean
Certified O.G.

Well, what I am saying is that most people I know who grew up on hardcore really feel differently about the live performance aspect compared to people who grew up moreso on other genres.

Just a general observation, though.
Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:18 am
MessiahCarey

Definitely hear you. My range of comparison is limited...I've just over the last 8 years began to really interact with people who weren't into punk, hardcore and metal...all of which, in my area, grabbed the attention.

By "my area" I mean the burbs.
Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:24 am
futuristxen

Storm Davis wrote:
futuristxen wrote:
I'm kind of a little bit interested in the ways the internet plays or doesn't play off the real world(or vice versa) in terms of audience behavior.

futuristxen

You actually may be the best one-person focus group available to answer that question.

Well I go to almost all of the shows for artists that I support online, and then talk about the show afterwards. That's how I started posting here in the first place, was that I had gone to a show and wanted to talk about it afterwards. I also tend to buy more albums from artists that I'm supporting this fervently, without hearing them first. Whereas with other artists I have to hear them first.

But I am prone to writing online about my experiences, because I'm obviously very self-absorbed in the value of my own experience. But it causes me to say like last night write about the bands I saw performing with Tom Inhaler. So I don't know. For me obviously the relationship is nearly 1:1. But I don't agree that I'm a good representation of the normal concert goer or music supporter. Even of people on this message board.
Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:33 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

The interview is now posted on their site.

http://www.skopemagazine.com/html/blog/2008/04/08/the-sage-francis-interview/

Futurist,
I don't mean to dodge your follow-up questions. I'm just glad you're not a music journalist because questions like that make me think too hard and then the brain shuts down.
Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:15 pm
PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG
the godfather of troll

MessiahCarey wrote:
I think that the meat and potatoes of an artist is in whether or not they can peform...if they can't, fuck 'em.

I'm not sure I agree with this, Nas for one is a great example of not being known for a live show but has done many great things in the studio
Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:38 pm
b. dolan
FBI agent

the mean wrote:
Well, what I am saying is that most people I know who grew up on hardcore really feel differently about the live performance aspect compared to people who grew up moreso on other genres.

i don't understand what's being said here ... are you saying, in this generation?

because, i'm pretty sure amazing live performances are at the root of every modern genre's explosion, no? you don't think people who grew up in the golden age of hip hop continue to hold live performance as important?

i mean... if you're talking about this generation of show-goers i get it, but otherwise i think live performance is universally important. i guess the live show has been watered down and boxed in in the course of some genre's growth though ...
Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:50 pm
MessiahCarey

b. dolan wrote:
the mean wrote:

i don't understand what's being said here ... are you saying, in this generation?

because, i'm pretty sure amazing live performances are at the root of every modern genre's explosion, no? you don't think people who grew up in the golden age of hip hop continue to hold live performance as important?

i mean... if you're talking about this generation of show-goers i get it, but otherwise i think live performance is universally important. i guess the live show has been watered down and boxed in in the course of some genre's growth though ...

HA! I had a post about how the chronology is important, but I erased it.

For our generation, where we come from, the most exciting thing was hardcore punk. I think that's true for both me and Mean, although he's a little older than I...so I came in on the crossover between metal and punk, but a lot of the same folks were involved in both around my way.

For other people in other locations, or from a different generation, it will be something else.

The good thing is that it's the same SPIRIT in both places and times...which has actually been one of the only things that regularly affirms my faith in humanity. Haha.

But that spirit finds a new home every couple years and then evicts itself when it's time to move on.

When I was 16...it was hardcore and punk....period. When I was 19, that energy was clearly evident in the indie metal scene. When I was 22, it had moved to hip hop. I used to think I moved with it because I think I'm naturally drawn towards energy...but I was arrogant enough to think that way...most likely it's my own perception of what's happening or where I've been at the time. I think to myself now "this was here all along, and I was too busy with other things to see it." But it ALL surrounds around performance.

As far as Nas goes, Phil...he has not ALWAYS been known for putting on bunk shows...y'know? And when I say "performance", that does sort of extend to a musicians ability to perform the one particular performance that gets captured on record. They WILL be better by virtue of being good at performing on stage. My notion of a "performance" could be the cypher in my living room as much as it's the local Palladium.
Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:10 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

b. dolan wrote:
the mean wrote:

I think you do understand what I'm saying, but just disagree.

My experience in talking to people growing up on hip hop is that they tend to talk more about certain albums that are important to them, and not about that one time where they saw so-and-so live.

Specifically, I don't agree with this statement as it relates to hip hop -

i'm pretty sure amazing live performances are at the root of every modern genre's explosion, no?

Hip hop had a general reputation (deserved or not) as being a shitty live show. I think this has changed recently, and may have originally come from the no live drums aspect of a hip hop show.

Personally, I think it takes a helluva performer to pull of a one-person with an MPC show. The skill level can be lower with a band format, and therefore I think there are more inspiring live acts playing rock than hip hop.

All this is purely anecdotal.
Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:31 pm
futuristxen

the mean wrote:

Hip hop had a general reputation (deserved or not) as being a shitty live show. I think this has changed recently, and may have originally come from the no live drums aspect of a hip hop show. .

It was party music initially, no? block parties and that sort of thing, before someone decided to start recording it.
Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:42 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Rap (not hip-hop) is not typically a good live medium.
Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:52 pm
Blackstone Valley

this was a great interview. it reminds me of the interview when htdd was being recorded when the interviewer went all into the recording and studio aspects. i'm tired of interviews that don't take an angle and run with it.

this was good stuff.
Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:02 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2