Register
My ten-minute The Ugly Truth review
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

icarus502
kung-pwn master

My ten-minute The Ugly Truth review  Reply with quote  

The Ugly Truth is so good.
I must admit, I wasn't exactly pumped about it. I heard some rough mixes a year or so ago and they were good but I wasn't jumping out of my seat or anything. Plus, for full disclosure, I hadn't actually listened to Prolyphic in years and remembered him mostly as a kinda immature (if likable enough) kid that met at Scribble Jam a long ass time ago. Plus, the last record of his I listened to a collaboration with this other incredibly immature, crappy rapper. Though Prolyphic's parts were good and showed promise, I just couldn't get past that other rapper's crappy raps.

But everything I didn't like about that other record is gone. For one, Prolyphic has grown into thoughtful writer who actually makes the introspection-rap sound fresh. His penchant for the subtle (coupled with his still-excellent delivery) is aesthetic grist to the demand that you actually care about his feelings. I have a hard time giving a fuck about rappers' feelings. See: "Playing With Old Flames"

For two, there's Reanimator, boy Reanimator. Dude is great, in general, and this is his best work that I've heard. In the past, I've found his style to be a bit over-adorned (you might even say "over-produced") and that's definitely the case here, kinda. Thankfully, the expert mixing (by Alias) makes all the difference in the world. Remember how I'd heard those early mixes and wasn't as impressed. That mix was all wall-of-sound, lacking a bit of aesthetic nuance which didn't jibe with the unshouted Prolyphic raps. The final mix, though, knows when to say when and the temperance is actually very kind to Reanimator's prodigious skill-set. See: "Survived Another Winter" and "Born Alone" (one of the songs that was completely different in the final mix).

Finally, this album is good because Robust doesn't appear on it even once. There.

So now everyone buy this.

Last edited by icarus502 on Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:02 pm
equal eyes

Re: My ten-minute The Ugly Truth review  Reply with quote  

icarus502 wrote:
So now everyone buy this.

yes master...

thanks for the review, btw. i'll pick this up along with b.dolan's album.
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:27 pm
BKGSP

Re: My ten-minute The Ugly Truth review  Reply with quote  

icarus502 wrote:
For two, there's Reanimator, boy Reanimator...In the past, I've found his style to be a big over-adorned (you might even say "over-produced")...

That's the primary reason why I enjoyed Reanimator's production in the past...the layers and layers of sound and samples...to each their own

You didnt like the Robust and Prolyphic album?...Stick Figures I think it was...I thought it was good

Cant wait to check out this new album
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:32 pm
shaboody

How did you get to hear it early?
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:46 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I also have to agree that Robust makes the Stick Figures album completely unenjoyable. Being that Pro is friends with him makes me want to ignore the whole issue and keep my mouth shut about it, but I just can't. Prolyphic would have a good verse and then the other guy would come in and stink up the whole song with trite, played out bs.

Enough about that though. I'd really like to never ever return to the subject of that project (one that was barely a blip on anyone's radar.)

In the course of 3 years we were able to accentuate all the great qualities of Prolyphic as a lyricist and Reanimator as a beat maker. Having Alias mix the whole thing was icing on the cake.

Both Prolyphic and Reanimator are kind of hermits in their own way. Soft spoken and shy in general. So you may see me hollering a lot about this album in place of them. haha

Last edited by Sage Francis on Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:50 pm
tom inhaler
me too!

shaboody wrote:
How did you get to hear it early?

icarus writes for rolling stone. thanks ic!
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:50 pm
shaboody

Really? My wife has a free subscription to it...what's his/your name? I want to read some of those articles. I'm guessing Robert something...
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:54 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

I write under the pen name "Greil Marcus."
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:57 pm
shaboody

so...the reason you got to hear the album early remains under wraps? fair enough.
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:00 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I sent it to him. I was interested in his opinion because I'm really hyped on this album and I wanted to share the excitement with someone I could trust. It's always good to get outside opinion. I pick and choose discriminately. This is why he heard the demo versions back in the day as well. And what do you know...they never leaked!

Last edited by Sage Francis on Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:01 pm
Bandini
WIZARD APPRENTICE

so you dont trust us then? jerk.

you hear that everyone? sage doesnt trust us! he thinks we all stinking unscrupulous liars!
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:11 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
shaboody

so the two of you are friends? that's all i was getting at. Thanks for throwing me off the trail, inhaley boy.
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:15 pm
smake

I liked Stick Figures. The Circle and King of the Mountain are great tracks in my opinion.

That said, I am way more excited about The Ugly Truth, and I can't wait to have it dropped in my mailbox. Survived Another Winter is my favorite hip-hop track so far this year by a long shot, and Artist Goes Pop sounds amazing. Also, the instrumental track sounds so good. I will be surprised if I am going to like another hip-hop record better this year.
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:45 pm
Bring that Beat Back

Bandini wrote:
so you dont trust us then? jerk.

you hear that everyone? sage doesnt trust us! he thinks we all stinking unscrupulous liars!

yeah, but it's a healthy distrust... i know "booooo"

Thanks for the review.

I am so pumped about this album. Reanimator has never made a beat my ears did not like!
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:22 pm
futuristxen

I would feel more excited about this if I hadn't seen Prolyphic perform these songs like a billion times by now. Half of the album is dead to me already. And I'm not really as much a fan of Re-animator as I was like a few years ago.

Sorry. I need more hype. Start sending your albums to Serg. I'll buy almost anything he says to buy.

Oh and good review Icarus.
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:24 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next