Search
Register
Straight-edgers are bad people.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

ghettoblaster

being sXe  Reply with quote  

I am 28 years old and have never had a smoke, drink, or hit of anything. I grew up skateboarding and listening to Public Enemy AND Minor Threat. Fortunately for me no one ever gave me any shit. I get offered beers all the time and I just say thanks, but, I don't drink. If they already bought me the beer I just say thanks and eventually give it to a friend. Unlike what Sage said, people usually say "wow, I wish I could go back to that", as if to say it's to late now - they are addicted.

I know why some people don't like staight edge kids. It's because they preach. I have noticed over the years that the kids who preach and do things like get straight edge tattoos, then, 9 out of 10 times get them covered up after they fall off.

I had (and still have ) immense respect for Sage when he took off his shirt(aaaaayyooooo) at a Lupo's show and you could see his XXX tattoo. I had the same respect for all the MCs I have met, who, in casual conversation it comes out they too are sXe or drug free or alchohol free.

I don't think its a big deal if you smoke weed or drink , I just know that its not easy being a sXe kid, therefore, more respect for kids who have been through it.(and don't brag about it, or preach like they are better than everyone else)
Post Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:59 pm
jessalicious

I don't understand  Reply with quote  

I don't understand why people would hate on those who don't use drugs. If that is someone's choice I think that is just as commendable as those who choose to drink or do drugs. Drugs and alcohol can both cloud your judgement in certain situations as well as make you have fun. It is a matter of responsibility. People have reasons for doing what they do and I don't think we can judge them unless we know why they do what they do.
Post Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:09 pm
Dionysus

Re: I don't understand  Reply with quote  

jessalicious wrote:
Drugs and alcohol can both cloud your judgement in certain situations as well as make you have fun. It is a matter of responsibility.

I understand what you are trying to say, but I have to point out that drugs do not, and cannot MAKE a person have a good time. Evidenced by the fact that people can report "good highs" and "bad highs", different effects by the same drugs, even together, at the same events. It has to do with the person, and their mindset. And, with that said, people who think that the drug is responsible for their enjoyment of an event learn to rely on drugs, and eventually find they cannot enjoy themselves without them. I choose not to use anything when I go to a show, and far from ruining my evening, it enhances my experience to be truly aware and perceptive, as well as to be able to remember the experience afterwards. I feel the responsibility lies not in how you use drugs, but in taking responsibility for your own experiences, and using your power to influence those experiences, not handing that power over to a substance.
Post Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:29 pm
sextilliondollarman

Satyre wrote:
I like magic mushrooms.
I like LSD.
I like X.

Bye bye.

damn dood my old man calls em "magic mushrooms" how old are you
Post Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:33 pm

mrgillepsie

Wasn't Ian Mackaye a big influence on the starting of SXE movement?
Post Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:52 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Petrouchka Rasputin

...you may as well go ahead and call weed "wacky tobaccy" as well.
Post Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:53 pm
Reggie

I thought it was just something you were feeling at the moment...in reference to another recent post, in fact.

But you win.
Post Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:07 am
i'm ugly

i'm drunk right now.
Post Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:21 am
barlow

What has any of this got to do with Doseone?
Post Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:35 am
MessiahCarey

Reggie wrote:
But you win.

Expound?
Post Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:14 am
Clark Nova

no deficiency of smart-ass comments here, but...  Reply with quote  

neuropharmacologists have researched me extensively and found that i actually get HIGH forcing my sXe beliefs on others. now i'm a lonely fundamentalist asshole searching out new people who i haven't alienated from myself yet, simply for a fix, er ah, i mean... to help others from their addictions... yeah...
Post Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:44 am
Olle

I don't drink or use any drugs. I haven't for years(I'm 23 now). I never preach to anyone about anything, and never criticise people for choosing to drink or do drugs. All I ask is that people respect that I choose not to, just as I respect their choices.

But whenever I am at a party, people get real upset about me not drinking. It'll usually start with someone asking me if I want some liquor. When I say no, they ask why. I answer that I choose not to drink/do drugs. Then all of a sudden I got half the people at the party standing around me trying to get me to drink and dissing me for not drinking. Either I get the whole "holier than thou" shit thrown in my face, or I have people trying to peer pressure me into drinking/doing drugs. This is fucking wack. I don't show up to parties with a posse of non drinkers and harass people that choose to drink/do drugs. My girlfriend drinks(although she never gets drunk, and usually just has a drink or two), and sometimes she'll be invited to a party, and people'll be like "don't bring your boyfriend, he doesn't drink". I think it's funny how all the people that drink think it's just peachy choosing not to drink/do drugs and still go to parties/being social. Here in Sweden, you can't hardly go anywhere without there being drinking involved, and by not drinking, you are immediatly singled out as being "strange".

I have never ever gotten a "that's cool that you choose not to drink" comment. Except from people that have choosen not to drink themselves.

By now, whenever I'm at a party and people come up to me and offer me liquor, I just tell them that I'm a sober alcoholic. Then everybody's all cool with it and I don't have to spend the rest of the evening justifying my choice not to drink to everybody.

It's pretty fucked up.
Post Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:02 am
Reggie

MessiahCarey wrote:
Reggie wrote:
But you win.

Expound?

I'm assuming the title of the thread was intended to elicit some responses which were elicited. The untold thesis was proven. You win.
Post Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:29 am
sequence

This is the response you have illicited from me.

I'm not straight edge, at all. I was for about 5 years though, in fact until fairly recently. But most of my best friends are still straight edge, for what it's worth, and none of them are assholes to people without it being for humor's sake. I think a lot of young sXe kids get really carried away, as was said, I like to think I never did as for me it was a personal decision, but if you make it into your mid to late twenties still on the wagon it is most likely that you will rarely ever mention it to anyone. For many of my friends, it is very important, although it is as much for their protest of the companies that produce tobacco and alcohol as it as protection of their body.

That said, I know tons of straight edge kids who are obnoxious little fucks. But don't bash the whole movement.

Adam
Post Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:45 am
Nope

labels are masturbational
Post Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:48 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next