Search
Register
3/17/08 Sage interview for Vail Daily (Colorado)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

3/17/08 Sage interview for Vail Daily (Colorado)  Reply with quote  

Interview with Sage Francis. Questions by Andrew Fersch for the Vail Daily

What first got you into hip hop? What was the biggest obstacle when you first started out? Biggest obstacle now?

"Well, it's a tale that has been over told at this point. Hiphop found me at the age of 8. It was a powerful force and I couldn't ignore it. I needed as much of it as I could get and that hunger didn't get satisfied for many, many years. The biggest obstacle might have been finding my own place in a craft that I loved so much. I didn't just want to re-do what has been done so I had to find my own voice and approach. Make an actual contribution. I believe I have done that and I continue to do that. The biggest obstacle now is having a personal life outside of music and business."

You have been releasing music since 1996, if you had to choose one song that you are most proud of writing, which one would it be and why?

"I have about 4 that are neck in neck for that prize. The songs I am most proud of writing are the ones that carry multiple meanings while clearly explaining a situation that affects me personally. As long as the execution is good and the outcome is solid. Doesn't always work out the way I intend it to."

Have your politics in your songs ever been questioned by other artists? Or at your shows? Any good stories from that?

"Hell, this happened just yesterday. My grandmother is part of an organization that holds peace rallies in RI. She asked me to perform at an event and I happily obliged. I sat through a female folk performer who sang her peace songs. I sang along. She talked about how...if she was in a gas chamber she wonders what she would be like. She concluded that she would be the one singing Coombaya. We clapped our little clap (all 10 of us) and then I took to the mic. I said, 'If she's going to be the one singing Coombaya, I'm going to be the one on the other side of the gas chamber screaming FUCK THIS SHIT!' Needless to say she was unamused as were everyone else in the place except for my Grandmother. I also explained that I could be the yin to her yang and our yin-yang symbol could turn into a ninja star that would cut off all the nazis' heads. Crickets started chirping. At the end of my set this woman told me that I need to preach peace instead of violence. I told her that I don't preach violence. She said, 'Well, you were clearly trying to tear down Gandhi and his accomplisments in that last song.' I told her that she misinterpreted what Slow Down Gandhi is all about and she said, 'Well, maybe you should make a clear explanation before doing the song.' I disagreed and told her I don't need to do that with my music. As an artist I don't feel comfortable doing that. And on and on and on this rollercoaster rode. Coombaya, my Lord. Coombaya."

If you have to give a summation of your opinions of the music played on the radio, what would it be?

"I don't listen to much radio, but that's because almost all the hiphop I hear on it is very sterile. Like someone with a white coat made it in a labratory while the mice screamed and chewed their own ears off."

You started knowmore.org with friend B Dolan with the hope that you would "raise awareness of corporate abuse, and to serve as a catalyst for direct action against corporate power", how’s that going?

"Knowmore.org provides an amazing service that has not reached its full potential yet. We're an organization that needs to grow and develop, and that's happening as fast as we can make it. The more people who get involved the better. It is a free service provided to the public, and it can only reach its potential when enough people utilize it."

If you controlled TV, radio, and the movie industry, what would we all be watching and listening to?

"Ha. Well, I don't want to put myself in that position. Because I don't want to be Clear Channel."

What’s next for Sage Francis?

"Running the Strange Famous Records label. We're releasing Prolyphic & Reanimator's 'The Ugly Truth' as well as B Dolan's 'The Failure' within the next couple months. We're all doing multiple shows together. B Dolan and I will be touring Europe together. We're expanding our online store and digital store at www.SFRstore.com and working on more music. Looking for more artists. And of course I have my own material to put together. A new album and DVD. But that's not my focus at this very moment."

Last edited by Sage Francis on Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:28 pm
PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG
the godfather of troll

care to elaborate on the 4 songs?
Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:00 pm
mzehe916

I love the story about the Coombaya lady. Everyone is crying out for peace, but what about justice? Sorry, Peter, borrowed that quote from you.
Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:18 pm
mattrego

Re: 3/17/08 Sage interview for Vail Daily (Colorado)  Reply with quote  

Sage Francis wrote:
Have your politics in your songs ever been questioned by other artists? Or at your shows? Any good stories from that?

"Hell, this happened just yesterday. My grandmother is part of an organization that holds peace rallies in RI. She asked me to perform at an event and I happily obliged. I sat through a female folk performer who sang her peace songs. I sang along. She talked about how...if she was in a gas chamber she wonders what she would be like. She concluded that she would be the one singing Coombaya. We clapped our little clap (all 10 of us) and then I took to the mic. I said, 'If she's going to be the one singing Coombaya, I'm going to be the one on the other side of the gas chamber screaming FUCK THIS SHIT!' Needless to say she was unamused as were everyone else in the place except for my Grandmother. I also explained that I could be the yin to her yang and our yin-yang symbol could turn into a ninja star that would cut off all the nazis' heads. Crickets started chirping. At the end of my set this woman told me that I need to preach peace instead of violence. I told her that I don't preach violence. She said, 'Well, you were clearly trying to tear down Gandhi and his accomplisments in that last song.' I told her that she misinterpreted what Slow Down Gandhi is all about and she said, 'Well, maybe you should make a clear explanation before doing the song.' I disagreed and told her I don't need to do that with my music. As an artist I don't feel comfortable doing that. And on and on and on this rollercoaster rode. Coombaya, my Lord. Coombaya."

HaHa. That answers my question in this
http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42482
thread. Thanks
Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:29 pm
Dyss

Well played with the coombaya lady. I would have liked to have witness that.
And to bad that the Europe tour isnt extended to involve Sweden.
Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:41 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I'll be playing the Way Out West festival in Sweden. I'm waiting on details before I post that info.
Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:08 pm
Dyss

That is some sweet news! Its on the opposite side from the country from where I live, lucky enough I live in a small country. This is gonna be great! I missed you last time you where in Stockholm even though I had tickets and a room I already paid for. Family issues. Thanks again for coming back though!
Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:15 pm
C.R.A.Z.Y

i wish there was video footage of the coombaya lady epsiode. that would be so sweet.
Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:13 pm

Jump to: