Search
Register
an MC argues with me about our responsibility as artists...
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Dionysus

procstylee wrote:
I am the artist that sage disagrees with.

I am sure that we all feel that there are certain institutions in society that we wish were different. Some of us feel that even though we acknowledge these problems, these institutions are too deeply-rooted to overcome, so we shouldn't waste our time or energy trying to tilt the balance. I feel differently.

http://www.procstylee.com

http://www.hammered.org

You are attacking a symptom of a much larger problem, and you are swimming against the tide. I respect that you have found a message and wish to share it, but I do not believe you have followed the trail back far enough to the heart of the issue.
Post Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:11 pm
Sara

I feel it's your art and you should do with it what you feel, as should sage.
Post Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:11 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mrgillepsie

I have been a non substance user my entire life and very rarely has this received a negative response.

I think in large part it is how you respond or explain your choice.

Some people who chose it end up sounding like they are saying my Mom wouldn't like it, no matter how well they think they are coming across.

From my experience the general response is something like "cool more for us"
Post Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:22 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ihaveagluegun

I have NEVER heard a song nor a person say "you are whats in your cup" or "alcohol is the only way" this guy has no argument, and people who have no argument stick to one issue and try to defend it with faliable evidence, this is just another case of someone with too much pride....blah
Post Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:49 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Petrouchka Rasputin

Yes! I was dwelling on a response, gluegun, but you said it right there. This guy is relying on empty rhetoric to advance his viewpoint. I'd be willing to hear him out if he demonstrated some understanding of the social role of drugs, but he doesn't. It's difficult to take any argument seriously if it begs the question.
Post Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:03 am
Sara

What I interpreted was, he feels strongly about relaying a message to young people about the ramifications of substance use/abuse, that is most definately a valid opinion. I'm not sure whatlevel of support there is within the hip hop community for straight edge dogma , but I would hope one brings with them into their professional lives, whatever their professions are, the things that matter to them on a personal level. Afterall, that is what gives us our uniqueness.
Post Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:05 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hugh grants hooker

Petrouchka Rasputin wrote:
I'd be willing to hear him out if he demonstrated some understanding of the social role of drugs.

HAHA

the social role of drugs?

if you need drugs to be social then dont be social.
Post Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:06 am

jehu

?  Reply with quote  

Quote:

hugh grants hooker Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:06 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Petrouchka Rasputin
I'd be willing to hear him out if he demonstrated some understanding of the social role of drugs.

HAHA

the social role of drugs?

if you need drugs to be social then dont be social.

i think yer missin the point hugh...

Post Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:25 pm
Onyx

Thanks to sage for asking dude to learn some humility. I'm a visitor, just sharing some thoughts like everyone else.
People say the personal isnt political but fuck it.
It makes me sad when people do make gross generalizations about something as deep, vast, and complicated as drug use/abuse. Labeling users as "junkies", or not. It's not a black & white issue and people seeing it that way perpetuates alot of myths/misconceptions about the nature of substance use and/or abuse...starting with the inability to differentiate between use and abuse. One *can* but not always lead into the other, but the two are totally different. Secondly, to say that anyone who has a dependence on something is a "junkie"...is fine and what folks do is their business, just know u can be a junkie with anything...masturbation, food, hiphop, sage francis message boards - whatever. not all junkies are the same, not all can be said to be bad or problematic types.
I support straight-edge people, i drink a lil bit..but have cleaned myself up considerably with nothin but love from my peers on my decisions. If your people love you - there's no reason they wouldnt support your health. But still, i dont believe takin bong rips with your friends in highschool is the same as layin on the floor in a public bathroom with a needle in your arm. People wanna act like just because you take bong rips in highschool you'll end up with a sack of rocks, a runny nose and ripped up sneakers. There are reasons way beyond social that people become addicts, or use drugs in the first place. I can understand the young man's concern with youth learnin whats "socially acceptable" from advertising, but alot of times that shit is first seen at home - a much stronger influence. Genetic possibilities and mental illness have not been discussed during this thread..socioeconomic situations of people (of color) have not been discussed, family histories have not been discussed. It goes beyond will power, or even capitalism (even tho thats a good start and being conscious of personal responsibility i agree with). Its a disease and epidemic that should be addressed as that - one u cant tackle with a "good vs. evil" debate. I get sick of judgement of addicts from people who probably never saw their dad bag his shit on the coffee table while they watched cartoons screamin his plans to take whitey down, or find syringes in the bathroom sink when they went to brush their teeth in the morning. If you don't kno step the fuck back and listen, cuz there's many more perspectives than one.
My advice to dude tryin to build would be to spend time learning how to help families and youth actually caught up in the real shit u say your against. people connect thru experience..and u gotta back all those words and ideas up with somethin.

hopefully this made sense, its 5:01am - any english majors/language police please excuse any typos or grammatical errors.

peace.
Post Sun Mar 23, 2003 7:02 am
THE SPONSOR

sherm
Post Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:17 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4