Search
Register
The Definitive Guide to making a Knowmore Entry!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

b. dolan
FBI agent

The Definitive Guide to making a Knowmore Entry!  Reply with quote  

Erich's been kind enough to whip up a tutorial for anyone that wants to help with the Fortune 500 project, and here it is!

I can answer any additional questions in this thread. We'll make this a sticky for awhile and it'll have a permanent place on Knowmore soon as well.

---

Knowmore Tutorial

This is a step-by-step guide, detailing exactly how to create company entries, in support of the Knowmore.org Fortune 500 Project. It will include resources for learning basic Wiki-code, places to search for articles and information, and an introduction to the layout of Knowmore entries.

I. Create a Username and Password for Knowmore.org

http://knowmore.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:Userlogin&type=signup&returnto=Project_Page:_A_Corporate_Profile_for_Each_of_the_Global_Fortune_500

II. Choose a Company to Research

Generally, the best thing to do is visit the Fortune 500 Project page: http://knowmore.org/wiki/index.php?title=Project_Page:_A_Corporate_Profile_for_Each_of_the_Global_Fortune_500

and select the next company listed in red, which indicates that it's entry has not been started. The first 100 or so companies on the list, as well as some companies (generally larger or more renown organizations) further down are already entered into the database, indicated by the blue link to their entry. If you are unsure whether the company's entry has already been started, it's always a good idea to search for it through Knowmore's internal search engine.

III. Creating an Entry

Once you've created your account and logged in, please try to find the lowest number, listed in red, and open that link in a new browser window. It should be a a more or less blank text field, with a small toolbar at the top. The first thing you have to enter is:

[[category:company]]

This tells the wiki that you are creating an entry for a company, as opposed to a specific issue or person. Under that, enter: (*NB: italics indicate variables in the code)

{{the company's legal name}}

This is usually exactly what you clicked on from the Project page. If it is not, or if you have any questions, please contact the admin, but this should not impede your progress. Once you've notified the admin, you can continue creating your entry and any revisions will be made behind the scenes.

IV. Researching Companies

This is where the real fun begins. Your goal is to find as many controversial or scandalous articles about your chosen company as possible. Feel free to include any praise you might find, but be aware that most companies pay handsomely to generate positive news for themselves, so treat any praise skeptically. Clearly, the same skepticism should apply to criticism of the company, but your goal is to simply collect all relevant information in a centralized place, so that consumers can review it for themselves.

Depending on the company in question, it might be a little difficult to find any pertinent information about them. If you're searching Google, try adding "scandal" or something similar, to the search field (in addition to the company's name) in order to whittle down the hits. Also, if you're having trouble finding information under the company's complete legal name, try variations or abbreviations to the name, or try to find a list of their subsidiaries or divisions, and search for those.

Here's a list of useful resources to get you started:

google.com - every company's name should be run through google, in conjunction with "scandal," "controversy," etc.

corpwatch.org- again, every company's name should be run through this site

lexisnexis.org- we have access to the resource through San Diego State University, at this address: http://infoguides.sdsu.edu/index.php Please contact an admin for sign-in information.

responsibleshopper.org

lawyersandsettlements.com

wikipedia.org - if you are really stuck for information, Wikipedia can be useful, just maintain an extra dose of skepticism when dealing with wikipedia entries.

V. Adding an Article to Your Entry

First, you need to create a header, under which you can place criticism or praise. Criticism goes first, and this is the code to create the header:

== Criticism==

Next, determine what category your article falls under: Human Rights, Worker's Rights, Environmental Concerns, Business Ethics, or Political Influence. Usually, these are pretty self-evident; just use your best judgement. Once you've decided how to categorize your article, create a header for the category, like so:

=== Worker's Rights===

Under that header, copy the name of the article, (not the source) and paste it into the following code:

*[[article title]]

This does a couple of things. First, the asterisk creates a bullet, to help organize multiple articles under the same category. Second, the "[[...]] " tells the wiki to create a new, internal page for this article. (more on this in a minute...)

After you've read the article, the next step is to simply copy and paste the most important parts to create a short summary. (make sure you put this summary in quotation marks, so it is not mistakenly interpreted as your own words) The article entry ought to look like this when you're done:

* [[article title]] "single paragraph summary of article"

The next step is to copy the entire article into the internal page created by the "[[...]]" code, thus adding it Knowmore's server. If you save your entry and view the company's profile, (outside of "edit" mode) you will see your article title displayed as a red link. Open this link in a new browser, and it should look empty, just like your entry page when you started. Paste the entire article into this new page, and make sure you include the author(s), the source, and the date, (or as many of those as you can find) in approximately this format, at the bottom of the page:

''By author'' <br>
''source'' <br>
''date''

* Please note that the above code calls for two single quotation marks before and after each piece of information, which italicizes the text. You can also find a useful guide to wiki-code here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Tutorial

The idea here is to not only reference the original article, but to preserve it in Knowmore's own wiki, in case the original source is removed in the future. If you do need to create an external link, the code is as follows:

[www.url.com Text To Be Displayed]

VI. Save Your Entry

Once you are done adding articles and categories, save your entry and notify the admin of your contribution. If you return to the Fortune 500 Project page, you should see the link to your entry displayed in blue, meaning it is now part of the Knowmore's searchable database.

That is essentially all there is to it! While research time can vary greatly depending on the company, the actual entry-creation process can take as little 20 minutes. When you are first getting started, it might be helpful to open the "edit" page for an established entry in a separate browser window, to get a feel for what goes on under the hood, so to speak. We have a long way to go to accomplish the goal of creating an entry for every Fortune 500 company, but if you can find time to do one or two entries a week, (maybe while killing time in front of a computer at the office or before class) the help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by b. dolan on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:38 pm
tom inhaler
me too!

nice work erich!
Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:56 pm
erich

i'll try to help answer questions, too. and if anyone has any searchable resources to add to the list, post'em up. there are probably loads of industry-specific sources that im not aware of.

ps- arg! all my carefully placed italics got lost somewhere in the all format conversions this went through before it got here.
Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:02 pm
cakes

don't be intimidated, guys. it's a lot easier than it seems at first glance. :)
Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:09 pm
redball

You forgot EDGAR
Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:13 pm
Blackstone Valley

tom inhaler wrote:
nice work erich!

sweeeeeet!
Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:21 pm
erich

redball wrote:
You forgot EDGAR

?
Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:22 pm
Bring that Beat Back

Blackstone Valley wrote:
tom inhaler wrote:
nice work erich!

sweeeeeet!
Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:51 pm
redball

erich wrote:
redball wrote:
You forgot EDGAR

?

http://www.sec.gov/edgar/searchedgar/webusers.htm

Important Information About EDGAR

EDGAR, the Electronic Data Gathering, Analysis, and Retrieval system, performs automated collection, validation, indexing, acceptance, and forwarding of submissions by companies and others who are required by law to file forms with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). Its primary purpose is to increase the efficiency and fairness of the securities market for the benefit of investors, corporations, and the economy by accelerating the receipt, acceptance, dissemination, and analysis of time-sensitive corporate information filed with the agency.

Not all documents filed with the Commission by public companies will be available on EDGAR. Companies were phased in to EDGAR filing over a three-year period, ending May 6, 1996. As of that date, all public domestic companies were required to make their filings on EDGAR, except for filings made in paper because of a hardship exemption. Third-party filings with respect to these companies, such as tender offers and Schedules 13D, are also filed on EDGAR.

http://www.sec.gov/edgar/aboutedgar.htm

Basically, most companies file with EDGAR because it's far cheaper. Access = Delivery makes it so that a company can pay someone a few hundred dollars to submit a filing electronically. If they use paper to submit a filing the cost is in the thousands, as they have to disseminate that filing to hundreds or thousands of people. EDGAR is a good tool for finding out what a company is up to. For instance, if a court case or investigation might hurt profits it is the company's responsibility to inform the shareholders, and they must file that.

I didn't elaborate before because I've seen it in past tutorials that Bernard has posted, so I figured he knew what it was.

Another interesting tidbit is that you can link people to copies of rulings, should you find information on a ruling, by locating them here.
Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:25 pm
erich

wow, i had no idea this even existed, thanks!

come on, where the rest of my internet spooks at? i just know day shay or eltron or someone is sitting on a hornet's nest of backroom buggery.
Post Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:03 am
cakes

b, how would you like us to notify you when we have worked on a page?
Post Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:11 am
b. dolan
FBI agent

via email is fine ... bernard@knowmore.org

thanks!
b
Post Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:34 pm
Szechwan

I'm not sure this is the place to ask, but what ever happened to the Knowmore street team type stuff that was discussed a year or so ago?

You know, stickers/stencils etc.

I thought I recalled you saying you guys would make them available through the Knowmore store, but I've never seen them mentioned since.

And a little more off topic. Is the Knowmore merch that is currently for sale still bought through NoSweat Apparel? Both of my Knowmore shirts are, but anything SFR is... something else. I realise they're seperate entities; SFR and Knowmore, but I was just surprised at the about-face from two companies founded by the same tight knit people. Though I'll admit I don't know much about the SFR merch company.

Either way, cheers B, for all the hard work. You guys will get a hefty donation if I ever strike it rich. Until then, the random donations and merchandise I buy will have to do.
Post Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:42 pm

Jump to: