Search
Register
interview with Boston's Weekly Dig on online piracy
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

interview with Boston's Weekly Dig on online piracy  Reply with quote  

This interview will be used in conjunction with a story Chris Faraone is writing on how online music piracy affects major and indie labels.

-What has been your label's most successful release since 2005?

"I haven't released any of my own material since 2005, so that rules my own albums out. As for your question, it depends on how you define success. We've released two official albums since 2005. Buddy Wakefield is a virtual unknown in the music industry but he's made a name for himself the poetry community. His 'Run on Anything' album sold extremely well via show sales and digital downloads. Buck 65's 'Situation' album has sold many more units (especially in stores) since it's release in Oct of 2007 but he is a clearly better known than Buddy Wakefield and we put more promotion money into the campaign to make sure his fans knew about his new album. I'm having a tough time comparing the success of the two. Both have wielded a fair amount of profit and exposure relative to the amount of money and energy that was put into them."

-How many units has it sold so far?

"I believe Buck 65's 'Situation' LP is at the 10,000 mark. I haven't gotten an update on soundscans in over a month, but that's because I'm unwilling to spend tens of thousands of dollars in order to have a soundscan subscription. Just one of the ways an indie label decides to save money we'd rather not waste. I'm sure someone in the industry will email me with the soundscan numbers once they read this interview."

-Have you estimated at all how many times this release has been illegally downloaded? Have you found it on Limewire and on other file sharing networks?

"Any album that is worth anything (and maybe some albums that are worth nothing at all) can be found on all file share networks. As for how many times an album has been illegally downloaded, it's impossible to know such a thing."

-Has the buzz from illegal downloads of this album hurt or helped regular sales and legitimate downloads?

"Again, I don't know how it's possible to measure such a thing, but for an independent label putting out music from an indie artist who has garnered a dedicated fan base over the past 12 years or so...we trust that anyone with a conscience wouldn't simply take music without giving back in some way. So I'd guess that any buzz helps in this instance."

-What measures have your label taken to at least slow down piracy before an album drops?

"The promo versions of the album that we sent out to the press had me speaking over the chorus of each song. And we wrote a note in blood to each reporter saying something to the effect of 'Hey...this note is not written in people blood. It is written in puppy blood. The puppy is not dead yet. YET. If this album gets leaked then I guess we know where you stand on animal rights.'"

-Would you say that online piracy hurts independent labels more or less than it hurts major labels?

"Online piracy definitely helps independent ARTISTS more than it hurts major labels. I don't know if it hurts or helps indie labels more."

Last edited by Sage Francis on Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:52 pm
redball

I wish more people shared your mixed feelings on this subject.
Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:02 pm
Oh Daesu

I read a study recently about how indie releases are taking a higher percentage of record sales than they have prior to downloading. Their conclusion was that downloading helps indie artists, but that seemed like a bold conclusion from simple correlation. I figured the more likely reason was that the the internet's popularity caused both the downloading increase, as well as the increase in access to information about bands at a level that was previously quite difficult to attain. That being said, i do think downloading helps indie bands in the short term, to gain some exposure...not sure about the long term help though.
Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:11 pm
noise

I wouldn't know the names of most the artists I now listen to if not for the internet. For me personally, the ability to download music as a test-run has absolutely helped my cd-buying decisions. As a music fan and graphic designer, owning a hard copy of the music with the packaging and everything is very satisfying. Purchasing an indie cd after a download is mutually beneficial–my money goes to the most deserving artists, and I have confidence in knowing that I own copies of the best music. Unfortunately I haven't had money lately (with graduating college and all..) to buy nearly as many cds as I want. Nonetheless, buying the cd feels like confirmation of being a fan. I think that perhaps most indie heads are more likely to have this sort of viewpoint than a Top 40 listener. I would not be surprised if downloads were actually helping indie artists and hurting majors.
Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:38 am
CaptainFantasy

so what's the status of the puppy now?
Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:41 am
duxz

i wouldnt listen to independent labels like rhymesayers strange famous and defjux if it werent for limewire.
since then i got hooked i got into the concept of "supporting the industry"
besides, you cant download wax and live shows...
noise wrote:
I wouldn't know the names of most the artists I now listen to if not for the internet. For me personally, the ability to download music as a test-run has absolutely helped my cd-buying decisions. As a music fan and graphic designer, owning a hard copy of the music with the packaging and everything is very satisfying. Purchasing an indie cd after a download is mutually beneficial–my money goes to the most deserving artists, and I have confidence in knowing that I own copies of the best music. Unfortunately I haven't had money lately (with graduating college and all..) to buy nearly as many cds as I want. Nonetheless, buying the cd feels like confirmation of being a fan. I think that perhaps most indie heads are more likely to have this sort of viewpoint than a Top 40 listener. I would not be surprised if downloads were actually helping indie artists and hurting majors.

that too
ive got quite a bit of records i baught just to put on my wall, even though i cant really work a few of em into a set.
Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:43 am

Jump to: