Search
Register
Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

darnell

i'm really not a big fan of comics but if i must pick i'd have to say far side and garfield. my newspaper love is the crosswords.
Post Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:04 pm
Ryan

Do any of yall get this comic called BC? that definitely has its moments..
Post Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:21 pm
note1

memories.  Reply with quote  

I can't even read my old calvin and hobbes books anymore cause I friggin memorized every strip and i know whats coming. Its still the champ though.

Another one that gets respect is Life in Hell by Matt Groeing (the simpsons guy). That comic is totally not for kids, very adult and sarcastic. Get the 'The Big Book of Hell' for starters.
Post Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:52 pm
JordaFi

I am a huge Calvin and Hobbes fan. however, I'd have to say it's matched in terms of artistic merit, philosophical profundity and sheer imagination by Bloom County (which later metamorphosed into Outland). If you've never read this strip by Berke Breathed, well... y'should.
Post Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:35 pm
Jim Nastic

Get Your Motherfuckin' War On!  Reply with quote  

Come on now...

I've read through 4 pages of this, and none of you have mentioned a modern comic?

I thought we were all on the same page here...oh well.

For those who don't know...

http://www.mnftiu.cc/mnftiu.cc/war21.html

...now you know.

David Rees is probably the hardest working guy in the comic world, right now. Obviously not for his drawing skills, but political satire.

Enjoy, and don't forget-->

adopt-a-minefield - http://www.landmines.org/

--Nastic
Post Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:55 pm
DJ JON

fam circus tho
Post Sat Mar 15, 2003 5:58 pm
futuristxen

Re: Get Your Motherfuckin' War On!  Reply with quote  

Jim Nastic wrote:
Come on now...

I've read through 4 pages of this, and none of you have mentioned a modern comic?

I thought we were all on the same page here...oh well.

--Nastic

Calvin and Hobbes got me started into really reading the funny papers. got me to read far side, bloom county, peanuts, foxtrot, a bunch of stuff. dilbert. But after Watterson retired so did my interest. I can't think of the last time I looked at the comics section of a newspaper now.
Post Sat Mar 15, 2003 7:32 pm
Jesse

Calvin and Hobbes was really, really special for its time. Maybe for all time, yeah. Comics in general are dismal, though. Mutts is definitely great and yeah Zits although you mightn't expect it is also pretty good.

Watterson's decision to bow out when he did showed grace. He knew it couldn't stay great forever, and although the decision to finish when no weakness is apparent makes people sad, it was probably the right one.

Reggie, you magnificent bastard. Your list of comics is beautiful. Dreams Of A Rarebit Fiend blew. My. Mind. Krazy Kat (that was you who mentioned that right?) is one of my all-time favourites. Yes.

Most comic strips are insufferably bad. I can't even be bothered to get into a specific rant. They fall into two categories, though: excellent art with terrible content and execrable art with terrible content.

The Far Side I also loved but it's true, it was extremely inconsistant. Larsen is another cartoonist who knew when to quit, but he obviously didn't know when not to un-quit. Sigh.

Fans of Calvin and Hobbes should check out http://www.catandgirl.com
Post Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:27 pm
Abinatra

Post Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:34 pm
KrIsPy KaReEm

I find Far Side slightly more entertaining than Calvin and Hobbes. I think Foxtrot is my favorite comic currently.
Post Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:50 pm
futuristxen

I've been keepin an eye out for krazy kat info(guess I'll need to skim reggie's post again), because I know that was one of watterson's major influences. The 10th anniversary Calvin and Hobbes book has a lot of stuff from watterson about the strip, people should check that out.
Post Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:57 pm
Jesse

Dope Krazy Kat t-shirt in Pulp Fiction (when Vince and Jules look like "dorks", I believe Jules wears it). I had bought the exact same shirt for my dad (in blue and everything) like five years before that movie came out for his birthday. At the Scout Shop, of all places.

Yes.
Post Sat Mar 15, 2003 10:05 pm
ObliO

a brief history of the world...not really comical
http://www.crumbmuseum.com/history1.html

agent00f goodlook on the R.crumb, ArtsyFartsy is my personal favorite
Post Sat Mar 15, 2003 10:16 pm
ProfessorCalc

I would have to support Calvin and Hobbes 100% as the best comic strip that has appeared. Few strips have even come close to rivaling the strip in humor, art, or plot. A few older strips that I think are excellent are Bloom County, Pogo (much older) and, I don't know if we can count this, but it was in serial form for a while in France but not in the United States, The Adventures Of Tintin, which I think you can't really compare to Calvin and Hobbes, but is one of the greatest achievements in sequential art... if you haven't checked out the collected Tintin comics I highly suggest a read. Currently I look forward to reading Get Fuzzy every morning... and I read the first collected Boondocks book and it was amazing, but it seems like the current strip has gotten dull... too much politics and not enough plot... don't get me wrong I think the messages in the strip are important... but it becomes a bit much day after day.
Post Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:49 pm
Reggie

At the Wendy's near my apartment there is a painting in the dining area of Krazy Kat and Ignatz mouse running around a Mondrian landscape, titles, "Mondrian Krazy." It's one of the most beautiful pictures I have ever seen.
Post Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:23 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4