Search
Register
JERUSALEM and the War in the Middle East
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Jared Paul

Skinny Legs and All was a great read.
Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:57 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Windom

Finkelstein is great. Its a travesty that he was denied full tenure because of the hateful Dershowitz campaign. The debate between them on democracy now was one of the most intense scholarly confrontations ever! Demolishes Dershowitz.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1899267555870962994

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=247803848714490692

His website is really good too. Lots of resources on there.
Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:52 am
Lusid
http://youtube.com/watch?v=skCV2L0c6K0

You get a god damn job before sundown, or we're shipping you off to military school, with that god damn, Finkelstein, shit kid. son of a bitch...

Sorry. One of my favorite quotes ever.
Carry on.
Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:17 am
Captiv8

Anti.Agent036 wrote:
Bootzilla wrote:
I just bought "on the misuse of anti-semitism and the abuse of history" by Norman Finkenstein. Anyone read that?

I like him. He is so passionate. He was recently in Lebanon, and did a TV interview with a Lebanese channel (a right-wing Christian one). The TV host is asking him a series of questions pretty much implying "you should tone down your support for the Palestinians and simply teach polisci, your activism is hurting you"...he straight demolished him in response (even though it had to be translated and it didnt sound as good in Arabic).

He's awesome.

I finished reading The Holocaust Industry a little while ago, and I'm in the process of writing a comparative analysis paper of Hannah Arendt, Norman Finkelstein, and Ward Churchill. The connections might seems a little tenuous at first, but suffice it to say that the gist revolves around applications of Arendt's infamous "banality of evil" declaration by the two gentleman. Churchill is more overt about it, and Finkelstein implies a certain immorality and underhandedness to Jewish organizations, specifically in the United States. There is also a strong correlation between exclusivist (regarding the Holocaust, supported by people like Deborah Lipstadt, Stephen Katz, Yehuda Bauer, and Saul Friedlander) and relativists like Arendt, Finkelstein, Peter Novick, and Ward Churchill. I've got everything laid it; I just need to type the bad boy up.

At any rate, Finkelstein raises important questions about a holocaust versus The Holocaust, reparations, the uniqueness of Jewish victimization, and the so-called "double shakedown" of the Swiss banks by Jewish organizations. He is extremely polemical and seems to attract academic scrutiny wherever he goes, but his arguments are not without merit. His attack on Elie Wiesel seems misguided and makes Finkelstein seem like an ad hominem hack, whereas his systematic refutation of Daniel Goldhagen's Hitler's Willing Executioners is much more academically grounded. Finkelstein offers up a necessary voice of dissent, and is at the forefront of post-holocaust discourse. But there is a certain amount of irony that his career is now bolstered by the Holocaust industry he despises so much (Finkelstein is a political scientist and expert on Israeli-Palestinian relations, not a Holocaust historian).
Post Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:07 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2