Search
Register
Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

joedan

youre thinking about get fuzzy, which is also very funny.

i think sherman's lagoon is funny at times too.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:29 pm
argot

hahaaaaa  Reply with quote  

Best bathroom reading in the world was when i lived on Hope Street reading Aaron's book!!!!!!
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:09 pm
Llamasex

outland/bloom county

Berkeley's Breathed < Billy
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:46 pm
DM

.....  Reply with quote  

I love Calvin and Hobbes. But I have to give the edge to The Far Side. Have you seen the one called Kagaroo Nerds? It's a picture of 2 Kangaroos, with huge pocket protectors in their pouches...brilliant.

abacus
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:09 pm
nose bleed

you all are wrong the best comics are "get fuzzt" about the retarded dog and an asshole cat and "boondocks" about two black kids who moved out to the suburbs. boondocks is the shit cuz the guy who writes it is always making political statements which is nice to see

Patrick
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:20 pm
rubix138

screw comics  Reply with quote  

its all about ann landers. r.i.p. ann
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:12 pm
Swipe

Snake n' Bacon.
Put me on a sandwich.
ssssssssssss.
wipe me down with a paper towel to remove excess grease.
sssssssssss.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:22 pm
sleeklegend

haha  Reply with quote  

It's extremely amusing to see some of you clutching on to the same attitudes in the realm of comic books as you do with rap music.

Must...stay elite....
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:46 pm
Will Wallace

not the longest running  Reply with quote  

the boondocks is pretty good, although not the longest running one.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:59 pm
Ryan

haha Sage you remember the fucked up snowmen Calvin used to make?
I remember he built one with the snowman on a chair under a tree with the noose around its neck..
that's art.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:06 pm
Path

wow, that little nemo the dream master comic just made me go crazy, i remember that game on NES and i loved it.

calvin and hobbes was dope, i had like 3 of the books.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:06 pm
prell

re: calvin  Reply with quote  

calvin defenitely holds its own echelon above any other comics Ive seen. My whole childhood I read those strips over and over, man.. sigh

Half of the comics out there, even now, are comprised of forgettable characters (sometimes offhandedly bigoted) with throwaway jokes. The usual suspects are Blondie & Dagwood, Haggar the Horrible, Wizard of Id, etc.. Posers include The Norm (which actually used to be decent) and Zits (which is ok).

Cathy and For Better or Worse are common fiends, but they're more decent than generally regarded.

Dilbert is good, but it serves more as a platform for office jokes, than deep characters or storylines. I'm surprised Scott Adams is able to come up with funny jokes day after day, especially because he ostensibly doesn't work in an office anymore.

Doonesbury is good, but again, its only a platform for political jokes.

I dont really care for the Boondocks, though the party line is the opposite. I think it's popular for the same general reasons penny arcade is popular: its not challenging, and its jokes are deceptively pedantic and reliable.

PVP (www.pvponline.com) is decent, but it used to be much better. Since about december, it has been annoying and just generally not funny or interesting. The characters are somewhere in limbo between "developed" and "platforms."

I have two strips I really enjoy: Mutts and Achewood. Mutts isn't really like Calvin; it's very sublime, simple and sweet, and I love it. It runs in a bunch of newspapers, and has a collection of books, so go to Barnes & Noble and run through a few books. Achewood is an online comic (www.achewood.com), which has a few years under its belt. Most or all of the Achewood the strips are smart and funny, and the characters are compelling (especially since the addition and spotlighting of Roast Beef).
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:23 pm
ChinesePizza

I hate the comic section.
I especially hate the soap opera comics that leave you in agony Sunday after Sunday waiting for the next 4 squares of drama...ohhh the suspense.

Skylar Johnson

Dagwood's wife is hot...I'll vote for that one.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:25 pm
Reggie

I really don't like the Boondocks. I want to...dood references rap artists and seems to be in line with my politics and all that, plus he was influenced by Berke Breathed. But his style is flat and boring. His characters are too stylized so that they can only be an exact profile or they look at you dead-on. Lately, all of the Sunday comics have been blithe cliffside political ruminations between Huey and Caesar. Current Events is really affecting comics all over, not just the editorial comics. I see some artists taking the opportunity to attempt the comedy/commentary comic strip style made popular by Doonesbury...but many of these people lack a sense of subtlety and/or can't convey their feeling well. Some are trying to ignore current events completely, but this makes their strips seem wholly irrelevant. In strips like For Better or For Worse and Gasoline Alley, where time actually passes and events can have long-lasting effects, the lack of any commentary whatsoever is most obvious.

Many of the comics that are still lingering around...Blondie, Wizard of Id, etc. had their hey-day when our grandparents were young. Blondie is an offshoot of another comic that was big in the late 20's about a flapper and her well-to-do suitors that was a thinly-veiled commentary on Capitalism. Wizard of Id was more of an editorial cartoon in the post-WWII era. However, these artists are now in their 70's (if they still draw the comic at all--many of the people credited do not, like Dennis the Menace) and their politics as well as their sensibilites have changed. At one time, the comics page was what made a particular newspaper popular...now it is like a concession to the old guard, begrudgingly given at the expense of valuable ad space and television listings. As much as I love comic strips--and I do love them very much--it is pretty much a dead medium.
Post Fri Mar 14, 2003 7:47 am
Shylax

Sage is right for once....

Calvin is the G.O.A.T

I'd put Doonesbury 2nd, Bloom County 3rd....

I am really feeling the Boondocks...my only beef is the failed character development of the others. Huey and Ceasar get the most play but Riley's hilarious as well as that blonde girl who tries to be gangsta. They don't show enouh Jazmin who I think is the most interesting and sympathetic character in the whole strip. The strip feels warm when they have her on because it stops being political/revolutionary and deals with her quest for self identity and acceptance. Ceasar's cool but we're on Huey overkill
Post Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:58 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next