Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

3/11/03 interview with playlouder.com out of the UK  Reply with quote  

Joe Beats writes on the Non-Prophets site that what
distinguishes him from the Anticon mob is that he
loves a fat beat or a fat flow whether or not there's
anything in it he can relate to. Does the same go for
you, or are there other distinctions?

"Well...this is all about aesthetic. I agree with Joe. But from what I know of th anticon cats, they love Tim Dog just as much as the next man. A lot of us are coming from the same era, but some of us are choosing to take different paths in terms of sound. Joe sticks more to the boombap aesthetic. I love it. That doesn't mean I am adverse to some new styles that lack the "fatness" Joe might be speaking of."

We hear from Buck 65 that you're lifestyle could be
likened to that of a hobo. Does society as a whole
bother you? Do you see yourself as an outside
observer?

"Of course society as a whole bothers me. It was the worst of times, it was the worst of times. I am making the best of my situation, and doing my best to improve the condition of those around me. I tend to keep to myself most of the time, so yes...I am on the outside looking in. That's how I am able to sharpen my perspective of what's around me. But am am as much of an outsider as I am an insider, because I use that perspective to know what's worth contributing when its time. Buck 65 was caught wearing glasses a wig,hiding in the back of a smokey bar one night...avoiding me I presume...but he was caught. We have some things to talk about, him and I."

Personal Journals lives up to its name; it's like a
record of thought processes and emotions. Does this
sum up the Sage style, or is it just one facet? If so,
what other perspectives do you draw from on the mic?

"It definitely doesn't sum up my style at all. Perhaps it is a good indication of what I write about best. But as most are aware, I started off bragging about my dick and I am quite good at it."

Tell us about Xaul Zan. Any recordings yet?

"Xaul Zan has a solo song on the upcoming Non-Prophets album, HOPE. The song is called 'My Heart is Beating your Face' and it is not something I'm particularly proud of."

You seem to gravitate towards producers with a dusty,
jazzy style. The same can be said of AOI, I think. Is
this deliberate? What are you're thoughts on electro,
and its resurgence in hip-hop production?

"I am dusty. Life is dirty. Electro has nothing to do with how I feel or what I live. It sounds false when I try to couple it with my lyrics. Until I find someone who can freak it in the right way, I will stay away from it."

Who's music inspires you outside hip-hop?

"Bob Dylan, Neil Young, John Lennon, Bob Marley, Fugazi, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Radiohead, Jimmy Hendrix, Portishead, Tori Amos, Nick Drake, Joni Mitchell, Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, Dead Milkmen, Weezer, Rage Against the Machine, Ben Folds Five, Bad Religion, Nirvana, and I am starting to dig a lot of jazz and blues. I am loving anything with piano lately. There's really so much music I didn't mention that inspires me. Too much. I hate that question...I feel like I am disrespecting all the music I love when I don't get to mention it. I am inspired MOSTLY by music outside of hiphop."

You've contributed to emceeing workshops, while Joe
Beats' forum is like a beat making open university
program. Do you think that hip-hop is something
everyone should participate in? Do you think there's
any risk of diluting the talent pool?

"No, I don't think everyone should participate in it. And I do not condone workshops. When I did the workshops in Australia I explained why. I mean...I never had a fucking workshop. Now someone wants to learn from me what I had to learn without a workshop? First lesson...have the patience, integrity and drive to do whatever you want to do without a workshop. I'd have went to a workship if they were available to me growing up...because its easy. I can't say it would have helped much though. Workshops are very white. I see a lot of white people in workshops disecting an artform and trying to convince themselves they can participate in something by 'figuring it out.'"

I read Sole once talking about how he used to get into
fights after winning battles so often; any similar
scrapes?

"Sole won battles? haha. Well...around the same era that Sole was winning battles at his school, I was too. I have footage of when I was 14...in South Providence...battling some hometown hero. They made us do an a capella verse and I dogged this kid so bad the crowd erupted...on the corner of the screen you can see heads rush at me. I was an out-of-towner. They were not pleased. Nothing happened there, but it was a bad situation. There was an instance of someone coming to my show with a gun...unhappy with how our previous battle turned out. I snuck out the back that night. In my latter days, people aren't really trying to approach me on a physical level. I think it is fairly obvious I can hold my own in a squabble. Or maybe its the strange look in my eyes that lets people know that something is up."

You bring the straight-edge mentality to hip-hop. That
must have got you some funny looks.

"There are some VERY funny stories about that. None of which I care to tell. But....you should see the look on some people's faces when I reject their offers to: a) drink, b0 smoke pot, c) have sex with their girlfriend. It's insane."

Do you see any similarity between the current move
towards the esoteric and conceptual in some quarters
of hip-hop, and what happened to rock'n'roll in the
late sixties and early seventies?

"Prog rock? Ha...yes. And it is pretty much shit for the most part. People who think they're doing something so avante-guarde and special. 10 years from now they will look back at it and want to clip their nipples off with rusty scissors. Most of them anyway."

Is there any MC, current or otherwise, you would be
afraid to battle?

"My mind has been so far removed from the battle mentality, that it wouldn't be a difficult task for Bizarre to crush me. But if you want a list of nasty battlers here you go: Juice, Eyedea, and Alius (from Boston.)"

What do you make of 50 Cent?

"I kept hearing his name and it sounded to me like he was just another industry-made emcee with a propensity for thug talk. Then I caught his video by chance and he came across as unforced and authentic. I put him above the rest of the people I have seen on the video channels over the past few years. Although his subject matter is generic and cliche, I like how he does it. It sounds natural and real."

Any thoughts on The Source's attitude to hip-hop, and it's scary dominance? That Benzino guy brings me out in a cold sweat.

"The Source? I haven't read that damn thing since 1994. It's more of a joke than Rolling Stone. It has no dominance over hiphop whatsoever. It is a running joke that too many people don't get."

We'd like to see an Anticon And Freinds animated series. Are there any non-musical activities you're involved in you'd like to share with us?

"Spoken Word. Books. Sex."

Child rappers with famous dads (Lil' Pun, Ray Ray, Lil' Romeo, etc.) - funny, or evil?

"There's a Lil' Pun? Good God. Not funny or evil. Sad. So so sad."

What did you rap about when you were 8?

"Punching your face. Stealing beer. Smoking cigars. Shooting cops. Skeezing your hoe."

Whose poetry do you read?

"It is rare for me to read at all. I love to read poems by Jeffrey McDaniel."

Who is you're favourite dead rapper?

"LL Cool J"

What's the next move for you?

"Non-Prophets HOPE album is being released on Lex/Warp. My next solo album is being released on Epitaph. I have an album I did with Signify and Buck 65 called Sleep No More also coming out on Lex. Lots of music and touring on the way. It wears me out just thinking about it. Lots to be done. Lots to be done."

Give the PlayLouder readers a thought to brighten
their day.

"When asked how we could start a war with Iraq when there was no immediate threat on the America, the Secretary of Defense said, "We have so many troops in Iraq that they ARE a threat to the American people."
Post Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:11 pm
Heroin Sheik

OH SNAPPLE!

Is it official? Is the Epitaph deal sealed?
Post Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:51 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

actually, it's not. there hasn't been a contract signing or anything...and there probably won't be for a while. I should just keep my mouth shut. too late. we're working some things out.
Post Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:56 pm
agent00f

i think joey should do some ish for anticon..then i could dance to it..i only think of myself....god im pissed circus is not coming to the burgh
Post Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:00 pm
The Dead Poet

Quote:

Who is you're favourite dead rapper?

"LL Cool J"

muhahahahhaha

Quote:

In my latter days, people aren't really trying to approach me on a physical level. I think it is fairly obvious I can hold my own in a squabble. Or maybe its the strange look in my eyes that lets people know that something is up."

sage is gangstah!!!!
Post Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:05 pm
ihaveagluegun

good luck Sage

edit: haha, not that you need it....just my good wishes
Post Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:18 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Prontoid

*When I did the workshops in Australia I explained why. I mean...I never had a fucking workshop. Now someone wants to learn from me what I had to learn without a workshop? First lesson...have the patience, integrity and drive to do whatever you want to do without a workshop*

i totally agree......

and who the fucks offering there g/f's around? must make there special ladies feel all warm and fuzzy inside......

peace
Post Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:26 pm

Jump to: