Register
Sage Francis write-up in the Philly Weekly. Little dramatic
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Sage Francis write-up in the Philly Weekly. Little dramatic  Reply with quote  

http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/archives/article.asp?ArtID=5191

Sage Francis Jarring and unspeakably sad from the get-go, Sage Francis' Personal Journals brusquely upends everything Ja Rule is currently using to make bank. Love goes rancid, sex is revolting, parents leave, children cry and drugs bring swift and terrible deaths. Francis is the anti-MC. His rhymes are shot through with bitter self-loathing, and his frequent bouts of braggadocio often give way to disgust and frustration. He labels himself a "nonprophet" and an "avant-guardian-angel-dust-mite," displaying a nimble tongue and a devastating grasp of syntax while sounding desperately uncomfortable in his own skin. The songs moan and mourn--a lone oboe gets trampled by palpitating percussion, flutes sputter and flail and Francis' leathery voice wages war with apocalyptic backbeats. It's the work of a man as shattered by what he sees in the world as what he sees in the mirror. There's no need for constant, vapid reminders that Francis is still "keeping it real." Not a harrowing second of Personal Journals will allow you to forget it. (J.E.K.)
Post Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:07 am
Dionysus

No decent person is up at this hour....go to bed!  Reply with quote  

Yes, a little dramatic, but a good review nonetheless. And with all of the emotion you put into your writing, I wouldn't say it's mystifying to provoke such a strong response in the people who listen to it.
Post Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:38 am
maxamillion

Well let's be realistic sage.... YOU are a drama queen!!!!

Nah just kidding, nice article evendough I don't totaly agree.
Post Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:04 am
name

the whole business about the poetry slam circuit and all the little "wanabee mos defs" running around is disturbing (and true, i guess). i really enjoy spoken word poetry and its weird to discover that sage is easily one of the top slammers out there. not that its surprising, its just youd think with so many damn poets out there, you'd be able to find a load of excellent ones. i can count the ones i consistently enjoy on one hand. the art form is too accepting, i think. theres just not enough criticism for fear of negativity. i totally agree that its being pigeon-holed and taken over by these def poetry jam types and, on the other end, these kids who have a lot to say and no real mastery of the language or of conceptualism. soon someone will have to write a "Used to love H.E.R." peice to lament the death of slam poetry.
Post Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:55 am
mr self distrukt

props on the word vapid.
lucid and languid are also some faves.

i saw taylor mali last night. say word.
Post Tue Mar 11, 2003 8:27 am
Austin

hmmm....  Reply with quote  

beat, experimental, far out, far-out, head, hep, hip, innovative, lead, leading edge, liberal, new, new waves, pioneering, progressive, radical, state-of-the-art, vanguard, way-out
Post Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:47 pm
Idiot Savant

I think life is a little dramatic. Which is what Sage writes about which is what this article was about. Doesn't it make sense that the article would be a little dramatic?
Post Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:20 am
Dee

It may be serious shit....but come on y'all. Its just hip hop.
Post Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:33 am
Idiot Savant

djdee2005 wrote:
It may be serious shit....but come on y'all. Its just hip hop.

And just a few people die from cancer every year.
And...........you're completly right. Please forgive me.
Post Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:20 pm
jup

nothing wrong with drama. the reviewer was feeling it. the recent minneapolis show left me with profound respect for what you do sage. only you know what you're music is about to you, but i got the impression that its power comes from the fact that you express your personal issues in a manner that reflects the world, and so we listeners/recievers connect with the reflection. that show was extremely cathartic.

...and in contrast to carnage, all i can say is holy shit! from the worst performance i'd ever witnessed among the greatest!

wasn't all internal, cerebral, emotional though. believe i was dancing :)
Post Sun May 04, 2003 5:16 pm
Mixednutt

The reviewer was totally stoned. It's a really nice review, but maybe a little too over the top. It sounded like the dialogue from a movie promotion. It's gotta sit on some sort of realistic level if the writer expects people to take it seriously. I never trust any review if it doesn't have at least something bad to say about the reviewed. I'm a huge Sage fan, but I'll bet this made even him chuckle.
Post Sun May 04, 2003 6:14 pm
jup

mixednut, you've never seen a perfect performance? i can remember many shows that i wouldn't have changed anything about, had it been up to me. if they in the zone, riding the wave, how they gonna go wrong?
Post Sun May 04, 2003 8:40 pm

Jump to: