Search
Register
seattlest.com review of Buck/Bernard show in Seattle
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

seattlest.com review of Buck/Bernard show in Seattle  Reply with quote  

It's too bad the people at this site equate a poor Buck performance (by their standards and taste) with how good or bad an album is.

On the flip side I am glad that they enjoyed Bernard so much.

http://seattlest.com/2007/11/30/we_review_buck_2.php

November 30, 2007
We Review: Buck 65, Bernard Dolan, and Rudy & The Rhetoric @ The Crocodile Cafe

Seattlest ventured into Belltown last night to attend the Buck 65 show at the Crocodile, mostly because Buck 65 is a divisive name in hiphop. You either love him or you don't, and we couldn't make up our minds based on the tracks he's got online. Our plan was to skip the openers. The guy touring with Buck 65 is named Bernard Dolan -- and, in the phrasing of Flight of the Conchords, what kind of hip-hop name is "Bernard Dolan"? After we heard Dolan's "Joan of Arcadia" on his MySpace page, though, we figured it couldn't hurt to show up a little early to catch an act that promised religious jokes set to hiphop.

The local act opening for Dolan and Buck 65 was Rudy & the Rhetoric, now out on CD-R. They sound clean, rehearsed, and synthy; the MC (Rudy, we presume) looks freshly scrubbed and straight out of an Abercrombie & Fitch catalog, one of the outdoorsy pages, where the guys are fully clothed. We had no idea Ken dolls could rap, but he was pretty good, and the DJ (the Rhetoric?) did some cool scratching. Overall, they were surprisingly polished but we had a hard time taking them seriously, especially since the MC kept wincing at the crowd's lukewarm reception.

"We have been driving 30 out of the past 48 hours," Bernard Dolan explained to the crowd by way of apology for starting late. "My pants are all... I look like I got raped by a pistachio." We don't know what this means but it was hilarious. Dolan's set was mostly a capella spoken word, including performance of "Joan of Arcadia" (the first line: "Joan of Arc had a dildo named Jesus, made out of wood from the cross"), "Still Electric" (a spiritual, technological 9/11 piece), and "Bombzo for Baghdad" (involving face paint and city-specific disses). His call on Seattle? "A city about as radical as a poetry slam at a Starbucks." Cocaine, Evel Knievel, Vietnam: we got goosebumps five minutes into this set and they pretty much stayed until Dolan was finished with his creepy, bangin', challenging work.

DJ Skratch Bastid took the tables for awhile, spinning playful, funky, madly scratch-heavy material that had the crowd at the Croc undulating. Bastid is a three-time ScribbleJam champ and worked with Buck 65 on the latest 65 album, The Situation. We liked his solo beats much better than whatever was happening when Buck 65 got on stage. As it turns out, Seattlest falls in the not-so-fond-of-Buck camp. This is robotic rap for the college-educated white folks with expensive cellphones; this is self-conscious nerd rap in a Hicksian Goatboy squeal, quotable to the extent that it feels like a pre-fabricated inside joke. We got bored. We grew annoyed. It felt too safe to be interesting. The guys in parkas and jaunty hats next to us loved it though, and the crowd at large was into it. You, too, might be into it, and that's fine, but we won't be waiting with bated breath for Buck 65's next cd.

Bernard Dolan photo care of MySpace.
Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:25 pm
b. dolan
FBI agent

every night, i put the bombzo makeup on onstage and then wipe my hands on my pants before grabbing the mic.

the result, after the past month of minimal laundry-doing, is a big swath of red across my upper thighs.

it looks like i got raped by a pistachio... though i was as surprised as anyone to hear that coming out of my mouth at the time ...

jeez to the buck review. glad they dug my set though. it was a really weird loose performance, as i was in some kind of awful dream state through most of it.
Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:07 am
Jesse

That's some pretty terrible writing, no matter who they liked or didn't like. Anyway, the FotC quote should properly criticize one's "rapping name", not "hip hop name"; nothing is less funny than an attributed reference that's also incorrect.

Plus B how do you feel about your track being categorized as "religious jokes"?
Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:27 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

i, somehow, managed to get a drop of red clown paint on my white shoe..
Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:09 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I splurged on a jacket this year. I never splurge on jackets. But I was in France and I found a jacket that I thought looked good and I could imagine myself wearing it for many winters to come. It cost about the amount I was getting paid for my performance out there.

and as you may have guessed by now, some white bombzo paint managed to find it's way onto my pretty black jacket. I'm ok with it though. Just like how I was OK with scratching the right side of my Prius the first week i bought it. Dems my medals of honor.

Last edited by Sage Francis on Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:12 pm
DiViNCi gnosis
revorutionary

Sage Francis wrote:
I spluged on a jacket this year. I never splurge on jackets. But I was in France and I found a jacket that I thought looked good and I could imagine myself wearing it for many winters to come. It cost about the amount I was getting paid for my performance out there.

and as you may have guessed by now, some white bombzo paint managed to find it's way onto my pretty black jacket. I'm ok with it though. Just like how I was OK with scratching the right side of my Prius the first week i bought it. Dems my medals of honor.

Not sure how intentional this was but when I read "I spluged on a jacket this year" I was surprised how honest and open you were about committing such an act. But then realized you meant "SPLURGED" not "SPLUGED" (or splooged). And then found it funny that you went on to talk about how there is now a white stain on it.
Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:47 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

hahaa seen.

fixed it.
Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:44 am
m hanora
Holy Mary Mother of Pwn.

that paint has been all over multiple houses ive lived in.

im also okay with it. feel proud.
Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:24 pm
The Mean Eagle

I think hotel housekeepers across the country are going to hire a hitman to take Bernard out.
Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:30 pm
Jesse

Sage Francis wrote:
fixed it.

Sorry man, I saw it after it was fixed and it's still hot.
Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:01 pm

Jump to: