Register
Buck 65 interview on the front of yahoo.com
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Buck 65 interview on the front of yahoo.com  Reply with quote  

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/jambase/8/on-the-road-with-jambase-buck-65

Canadian born MC Buck 65 has broken the mold. When forced to label his music, or shelf it at the record store, we call it "hip-hop," but only by default. While his beats are often created with turntables he also employs banjos, strings and whatever else comes to mind. His evocative first-person stories are more Tom Waits than Kanye West, and his capacity for creativity would rival any musician from any scene. He openly professes his love for Afrika Bambaataa, Townes Van Zandt, Leonard Cohen, Captain Beefheart, Skip James, Johnny Cash, Iggy Pop, Radiohead, Jacques Brel, Serge Gainsbourg, David Lynch, Egon Shiele and countless others. His latest album Situation (released October 30 on Strange Famous Records) is based around events from 1957--the year Buck tells us independent culture changed forever. Currently on tour (dates available at JamBase), we catch up with Buck 65 to get the dirt on life as a road dog.

Name: Ricardo "Buck 65" Terfry

Band(s): Buck 65, Bike For Three!, Dirk Thornton

Nicknames: Sometimes my girlfriend calls me "Baby"

Place You Call Home: Nowhere

Last album to flip your lid: Magik Markers Boss

Album you always take on tour: Bill Monroe Anthology

What would someone always find in your van or tour bus? What supplies don't you leave home without?

Baby wipes. Baseball glove. Gold Bond.

What personal rituals do you have to help keep your sanity while on tour?

I try to go for walks. I don't party. Bowling when possible helps. Photography. Applying Gold Bond.

Speaking of rituals, does the band have a pre-show ritual to help prepare for the stage?

Not so much, actually. For better or for worse, we all tend to be pretty loose all the time.

Audiences come in all shapes and sizes. What's the screwiest fan encounter you've had? What's a great, positive fan encounter you've had?

It's always weird when fans want the ultimate souvenir and steal stuff like equipment. One night a guy (whose entire head was wrapped in silver duct tape) managed to get out with ALL the gear. But I've also gotten really nice gifts and offers from people. In one town I visit regularly, a professor at a university there always makes me chocolate chip cookies--every time, without fail.

What's the strangest thing you've seen from the stage while performing?

I've seen plenty of people pass out, which is always distressing. I've seen weird sexual things. But the weirdest was probably when I saw a woman vanish into thin air. I was looking right at her and then--poof! She was gone!

What's the first thing you like to do after a show?

I like to talk with the people who paid to come to the show. I usually just step off the stage and mix it up directly or head straight to the merch table.

Tell us about a great road food stop you've discovered in your travels.

Hmm... There have been many, that's for sure. I usually know one amazing place I like to go in every town. For example, I have to stop at Dick's if I'm in Seattle. But I also don't mind telling you that I'm a big fan of Cracker Barrel.

If I weren't a musician I'd probably be a (fill in the blank) because (fill in the blank).

If I weren't a musician I'd probably be a doctor because that's what I was studying in school. Or I could say I'd be a bum because I can't do anything else.

(Fill in the blank) are the baddest mothas on the planet.

Dick's hamburgers are the baddest mothas on the planet.

Your band mates will often reveal strange things about themselves during a tour. What stuff have your fellow musicians shown you that took you aback or delighted you?

Most of it is too weird to mention--seriously. Sleeping in the same room as other people sheds light on many a dark obsession. It's always nice when you come to find out that some people call home to their parents every single day...

Name a few things we'd find on your rider.

Just water.

What's was the musical highlight of your last or current tour and why?

I played in Albuquerque on my last tour and it was incredible. The room was sold out. The sound was perfect. The crowd was the perfect balance of enthusiasm and respect. And I set a personal record for merch sales. What a night!

Last edited by Sage Francis on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:59 pm
hank

Quote:

In one town I visit regularly, a professor at a university there always makes me chocolate chip cookies--every time, without fail.

Thats good.
Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:29 pm
PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG
the godfather of troll

ahh I didnt realize he was open to talking with people he seemed kinda surly so I didnt approach him when he came thru my town
I wanted to ask him about all his baseball references..things you only know if you played on a certain competitive level
Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:30 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG wrote:
ahh I didnt realize he was open to talking with people he seemed kinda surly so I didnt approach him when he came thru my town
I wanted to ask him about all his baseball references..things you only know if you played on a certain competitive level

Good luck. Getting Rich to talk about baseball is like squeezing blood out of a rock. Guess we'll never know.
Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:34 pm
bowski

Haha, I wanted to talk to him about baseball too. However, he never came from backstage at the Phily show, it was kind of dissapointing.
Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:01 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

bowski wrote:
Haha, I wanted to talk to him about baseball too. However, he never came from backstage at the Phily show, it was kind of dissapointing.

totally contrary to what he says in this interview!!! haha
Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:03 pm
sneeeeb
COCKRING WRAITH

Sage Francis wrote:
PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG wrote:

Good luck. Getting Rich to talk about baseball is like squeezing blood out of a rock. Guess we'll never know.

I could get it out of him. I know that baseball mindset, I lived it for years. Bring up some goose gossage or oil can boyd. Do so with confidence. He'll say something. Get crazy... talk about how lazy Lee Smith was as a pitcher.
Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:03 pm
PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG
the godfather of troll

i also wanted to tell him "im a grizzly bear" imitating his voice
but thought he might want to take a swing at me if I did
Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:17 pm
porkchopexpress

It's all about Dick's hamburgers. When I visited my friend in Japan (he was an exchange student at UW), the thing he missed the most was Dick's.
Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:22 pm
Jesse

porkchopexpress wrote:
It's all about Dick's hamburgers. When I visited my friend in Japan (he was an exchange student at UW), the thing he missed the most was Dick's.

Way to misinterpret your homeboy's attempt to come out, captain sensitive.
Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:36 pm
bowski

Yeah, when I read the interview that surpirsed me. I am not trying to be a dick or anything. I was just kind of disapointed, maybe I have been spoiled from past shows where I have enjoyed talking to the artists afterwords. The vibe at the philly show was wierd, and it was a really small crowd, so maybe Stinkin Rich was Stinkin perterbed, which I understand.
Its all good though, its not like I won't stop seeing his shows whenever he plays near me...Also, I like saying Choogar(sp) in the Buck voice.
Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:59 pm
Mr 9999
Judge and Jury

I know. I was just joshin ya.
I went to two shows on their tour and he wasn't speakin to nobodyyyyyy except his girlfriend. So that's kinda the tip he's on right now, quite contrary to what it says in the interview. He was working the merch booth like crazy during the Death Dance tour and it definitely paid off.

I was just kidding about the baseball thing, which no one has called me on. Rich will talk baseball all day.
Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:28 pm

Jump to: