text version of that video interview no one could hear
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

text version of that video interview no one could hear  Reply with quote  

http://www.amiracole.com/features/interviews

AC: How's the tour going so far?
SF: Going good, Florida's the worst place...

AC: Why's that?
SF: It's just typically a wack state. anything that comes out of Florida usually isn't all that impressive, so I come here and I see the reason why, the environment's not conducive to anything positive ...such as elections.

AC: What do you think about things that are happening down here?
SF: What do you mean, Sage Francis shows? I think Florida could really benefit from the shows, with C.R. Avery and Gruvis Malt, they're all bringing something special and Florida explodes.

AC: What do you think about uh, well, I know that...
SF: I'M JUST KIDDING!!! I was born here...

AC: Really?
SF: Yeah I was born in Miami, ha ha, I mean I really was, not like the other guy. I got a birth certificate somewhere... Yeah Miami, Dade County, I only returned once... in my life... when I was 12 I didn't grow up there, but I would love to play a show in Miami, and Atmosphere played there, they are the only group I keep in touch with that played down there, they said it was amazing. I want to go down to Miami, much more than Tallahassee, I could do with out the Tallahassee stop on this tour.

AC: Not good?
SF: No. It's not. I'll never play Tallahassee again... Nothing against the people, but the way the club's run, the fact that it's in the middle of nowhere so minimal people show up... ...I lost my ass on that show, I liked the performance and C.R. Avery brought in some real lounge singer type shit, it was great, in fact you asked me before and every show has been outstanding, Gruvis Malt is a tight band and to have them back me up, on top of everything else they're doing, It's something I didn't expect to do. When I was with my other band we could never tour together or go outside of Rhode Island cause they had jobs, families... And now Gruvis Malt's backing me up and rocking the songs so hard... We do like an hour and a half set every night so I get a long of the songs that we don't normally do.

AC: You're selling around a thousand discs a city according to some websites, is the turnout and the number of discs being sold meeting or exceeding your expectations, is it where you though it would be?
SF: To be honest it's exactly what I expected, I didn't supercede my hopes, I'd never really hoped for much, you know it's like... I have a relative idea of how much it's going to sell, but I do think it's going to continue to sell, the more I stay consistent as an artist... to people that go to that back catalogue and stuff like that, it's good man... and the fact that I had an avenue to use like Anticon and Revolver the distribution company, they get the CD to all places that I know will buy my material, it's just like the equation was perfect. If it was lower than what it sold, I'd be surprised... but I'm not upset I haven't sold more, I've been very thrilled to have sold as many as I have.

AC: You talked about being a back catalogue, and in that underground area, kind of an alternative to p. diddy kind of rap, has it been you goal to be kind of be that kind of artist, more underground?
SF: I didn't propel myself by juxtaposing myself with artists like that... I don't hate on that game as much as I used to... I look at it and I see it for what it is worth.. It all has its worth. it's not something that people basing their life on you know... cause that's not the kind of music he makes... You probably shouldn't be basing your shit on what I say either... I like to give people more of a nudge on the elbow and say, 'yo I been there too, man' and P. Diddy's like, 'you're not where I've been' that kind of shit so it's like, and the music he's making, I don't even think it's comparable to what I'm doing. some might say what he does is hip hop and what I do isn't hip hop. Not by my definition... fuck it I mean I don't listen to Poison and say shit, what can I do to counteract, I don't even do that with Puff Daddy... I don't do that with any sort of commercial rapper that's ever been popular.

AC: I read in an online interview somewhere that you weren't proud of the work you did for the x-games...
SF: I don't remember what I said, but without X-games I would have been in big fucking trouble... That was one of the things where compromise wasn't even an issue, I needed fuckin money. they came to a poetry slam, I happened to win that slam... and they were like do you want to do some spoken word for like x-games? I didn't even know what the x-games were, I never watched x-games, oh man I'm going to be on television and all I have to do is read my poems? That sounds great so.. the first year was unbelievable the lady who filmed it was actually the director for Metallica's One video. This women is fuckin' top notch, the gear just looked like military equipment. I didn't study up on that. I never had much of an understanding about how it all worked, it really blew my mind, it was quite an experience and everyone who did it was a friend of mine, and it was like camp we went up in the mountains snow boarding and skiing and all that. But the next year they invited me back, but they didn't invite anyone else back. And I was like; "well, I could use a little more money this time" and they were like ok. So then I wrote a whole bunch of shit but this time it was like they changed the rules, and had me like incorporating some of the sports fucking terminology so I did that and it was basically like starting to write commercials you know... I still didn't know what the fuck it was but I was getting money and... it just got worse from there, I had one more season, and it was just bad...

AC: Do you think you got some better exposure from all that?
SF: It really didn't really even reflect on me as an artist. there were a few people who knew who I was at the time that came out and they would have seen that and just fuckin' laughed their asses off, it's not like a record label would have seen me and said, "We gotta get this guy" It was more something like a quick flash in your eye, "oh my god was that Sage?" It was dope, I had a fun time. I like being on network television, you know sneaking into my ex-girlfriends houses... I just picture her and her new boyfriend watching tv, and there's my face going, "X-Games!! Arrgghhh!!" And the boyfriend not sure if it's me and the girlfriend definitely sure, and there just looking at the TV...

AC: You talked about being out on the road with Slug and Anticon, and artists that you've been able to work with, have you been out on the road with some people you've collaborated with?
SF: Yeah, my first tour was with Slug, with Atmosphere and Rhymesayers, and then a year went by and I did a really big tour with them it was me, Shaylum(whose djing for me), Eyedea and Abilities, Cresecent moon, Slug, Mr. Dibbs, J. Bird... I think I got everybody, that tour was outstanding, I couldn't have asked for a better group of people to be with... This tour right now is pretty dope, but that one it was just like the vibe, everyone was there on the scene loving it... This one is interesting, it's more of a go in the van and read your book type shit... and we did that on the other tour too but it was like, it's different... It feels like story time in that fuckin' bus... Feels like the library section, and that's pretty cool for someone like myself... As far as like working with Slug, we've done two or three songs that haven't been released yet, that will probably be on the next Atmosphere album. I don't know, he's one of the only artists I would want to do a whole album with. He's someone that I trust actually... We can bang our heads together and we really connect on stage. eyyoooo.

AC: Do you see a connection between what you both do as far..
SF: Yeah, we're deviations of one another... It's definitely based on some girl shit. We deal with it differently you know, he's almost crooning and I'm almost repelling you know? And when we were on tour together that dynamic was just unbelievable, it was just like... I don't wanna talk about it... I felt like the bait you know? And he was the hook, and someone would come in and go, "oh yeah..." and we would just smash them on the head... and then we had sex...

AC: Yeah, this tours been going alright for you though?
SF: We're only on the first part of the tour and this is the worst by far... no disrespect to Florida, it's just that this area of the country isn't populated enough to get a whole bunch of people excited enough about these shitty shows that we put on. So by the time we head over to California and more populated areas, I mean what the fuck's the population of Orlando?

AC: The [Orlando area] is about 1.2 million I think?
SF: That's still fucked up, more people should be coming to the shows... Actually I think this show is going to be alright... I shouldn't even be talking about Orlando cause we haven't done the show yet... It looks like the show is going to be good a lot of people are here and the energy is just staticky inside.

AC: So have you played here before?
SF: I don't remember if I played here or Tampa Bay...

AC: Actually I think it was Tampa Bay... You were talking about this being a book and story kind of tour, the last interview that you were asked you said the last book you read was It by Stephen King, any updates?
SF: I read Stupid White Men for its statistic value, Steppenwolf by Herman Hess... I'm not much of a reader, in fact I get a lot of literature and I look randomly throughout and it's so rare for me to sit down and read through a whole novel, I mean these are books that people give to me and like they blow me away... I feel like, especially on tours like this, I really feel like the dummy in the group. I don't know what people think about me, I don't know if I come across like I think I'm smart. Every time I tour with people like this it's reaffirming to me that I'm pretty fuckin low-brow of a human being (intellectually.) But the reason I do the kind of music I do is that I think I get so fascinated with putting little things together that makes them dig, so put words together and dig songs and I connect them the right way so maybe that fools people into thinking I'm more of a human being.

AC: You seem pretty prolific though, with lyrical contributions of past projects and what you've done so far with the volume of material you have and with the poetry...
SF: I stay involved... I like the interactions of people... The kind of music I make is interacting music, one that you have to listen to and use translation, so it's just like, I been around for a while I been around the block a few times, every time I go around the block I want to pick up a new toy. Spoken word is a fucking amazing tool that I have found and in fact at this show there's already a couple of real popular spoken word artists. Most people wouldn't know who the fuck they are, that's the kind of world it is you know. It almost seems like we're doing it for each other and other artists in the spoken word community... It shouldn't be like that you know, we need to expand beyond the choir. In the meantime it's really good to have a part of me, and hip hop was just another one of things I involved myself in...it appeals to me it wasn't like.. I don't know I don't think my catalogue is nearly where it would be if I were a prolific artist, I feel like I am being a lot more prolific the past couple of years, I'm recording a lot more, I'm doing a lot of writing but I'm much more selective of what I present to everybody. I do a lot of chopping and editing I have to consider what people already know from me... and what would be fresh to them, if they already knew my previous material, and that's a harder game, you got to keep in mind what people already know about you... these ideas that you repeat in ones head you have to shuffle through them and find two or three original ideas and it's a new game and I love that.

AC: Your work seems to be more of consistent approach to things as an appreciation of the art form of hip hop... do you see a the fans appreciation for this in it's art form and see the underground becoming a bigger thing?
SF: It's getting bigger and bigger the balls been rolling for a while whats keeping more interested nowadays is the business side of things I lived little and a little and a little, and now I've got a fairly good amount of knowledge and connections in the business, and I guess it's time to up the ante a little bit, take care of myself, if I go through these other companies and labels and if they're not doing more than I think I could do for myself then I try to get rid of them. And that's no disrespect to anyone I've worked with thus far it's just the fact that I stay on top of my business. I mean I do the research I do the... it's like footwork, everywhere, I do my errands, so many things add up and that's all this business is, it's like how are you going to connect to a bunch of people that are going to identify with what you feel is important and as many people as I tap into doing my music and they want to support it the better I can deal with the things in my life, like, "uh shit, how am I going to get a substantial meal today?" and I'm working these weird odd jobs, I threw my money away on college... biggest scam... I think college and credit cards are the two fangs of our society, for some people, they're like, "Arrrgh"[biting motion] and they shoot you up with Novocain in the form of a free t-shirt if you sign up.

AC: I know on a local level fans become like friend with the band and they are a big part of the group, do you see a more devoted fan coming out? Do you see that growing in each town you go?
SF: Yeah I do... but they're the people I have been seeing for the most part for the last couple of years the bigger and bigger I get I don't... I will probably reject those kind of fans I don't trust it, I don't' trust the situation... the people who were there from the getgo who supported me when I most needed it and that was in like '99, 2000 well '98, well fuck that go back to '96 but say when I really started getting more stuff out there 99 & 2000 and those are the people that really came to the shows and didn't really have anything to gain from it... and it just means a lot more to me to see them back at the shows, and I will know their name and I will be shaking their hand and giving them a hug everybody else that digs the music that's great, I'm not going to spend my time looking at each person speculating how much I am worth to them and whether I'm just this fly-by-night false idol type shit... Like I never know what the fuck people are thinking about me. I've come across these hardcore over zealous fans nowadays...when I do one wrong thing or something they don't agree with they switch on me, it's like a switch they get angry and you're not cool all of a sudden. nothing you can say is cool after that point... It's just a... I don't know I can't support that kind of stuff. The fans that listen that I'm talking to, they don't have to ever bug me, they can write me an email or send me a letter and state what they have to say, but they don't ever expect anything else from me, like I give them music and when the opportunity's right I give them a show. And they give me money, although I have been known to do a free show... ask the band about that...

AC: Anything else you want to add...
SF: Um no, the only other thing is I'm sick, I'll probably throw up a couple more times before the show... HOPE is the new album I just finished. Joe Beats did all the music and he's a kid I went to school with and we're very good friends so I'm excited about this one. Non-Prophets - Hope it'll be out in like 4 months so it's like fair warning to anyone is interested I'm real happy with the album, I think it's going to make some heads explode, it's like sneaky, it's not what you are going to expect form someone who leaned this way last year, it's like personal journals was my winter album and Non-Prophets is my summer album... it's more up tempo and instead of being mad at myself I'm mad at the world and we got a more political edge and more of a fun funny feel to it, it's very fun to listen to..
Post Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:35 pm
hugh grants hooker

again....  Reply with quote  

it really upsets me when people base so much of their opinions of Florida on tallahassee.

that city licks balls. its a college town... nothing else.
college kids are flaky idiots, if there is a "kegger" the same night as your show... sorry but none of them are gonna be at your show.

i've been saying it for a long time, and i'll keep saying it. stop going there. try some other cities and your opinion of florida will change.

i mean christ, how many people were at the last tallahassee show? at the most like 30.

9 or 10 of them were friends of mine for pensacola.
2 of them were danny and his girlfriend from orlando (the kids you let sell the anti-war shirts).

so what... like half the crowd was actually people from tallahassee.

fuck tallahassee not florida.

i'll stop crying now.
Post Sat Mar 08, 2003 7:35 pm

Wagon_Burner

Re: text version of that video interview no one could hear  Reply with quote  

Sage Francis wrote:
http://www.amiracole.com/features/interviews

AC: Do you think you got some better exposure from all that?
SF: It really didn't really even reflect on me as an artist. there were a few people who knew who I was at the time that came out and they would have seen that and just fuckin' laughed their asses off, it's not like a record label would have seen me and said, "We gotta get this guy" It was more something like a quick flash in your eye, "oh my god was that Sage?" It was dope, I had a fun time. I like being on network television, you know sneaking into my ex-girlfriends houses... I just picture her and her new boyfriend watching tv, and there's my face going, "X-Games!! Arrgghhh!!" And the boyfriend not sure if it's me and the girlfriend definitely sure, and there just looking at the TV...

Hey Sage, whats going on brother? I wrote you a year back or so and told you that you should give a listen to Bill Hicks, who is undoubtedly, one of the greatest comedians/philosophers of our time. Now the piece I'm about to relay to you people is not exactly Bill at his most philosophical, but damn funny none the less.

All I want I to get across is that if you didn't hear him yet, you have to real soon, cause the quote you gave hear automatically reminded of the piece I'm about to relay to you guys and girls. I just think that you'd get a real kick/insight from the rest of the relevant stuff that this man had to say, timeless stuff really, copied by most every comedian you hear today.

Anyway here it is, for whats its worth, a fantasy many a man has had here...

"I decided over this break up, why get bitter about all women because of one. So I looked on the bright side and thinked it'd help my career if she left me....fine.

I'm definately a driven man now. I'm driven by this fantasy that one day this girl who I loved more than anyone in the world and I gave my heart to and she said she loved me, then left.

One day this girls gonna be living in a trailer park. Somewhere in Oklahoma. She's gonna have nine naked little kids with rickets that bring home dead animals from the side of the road for them to eat.

She's gonna live with an ex-welder, 600 lbs with fur all over his back. Drinks warm beers, and farts and belches and beats the kids. Watches the Dukes of Hazzards everday. Has to have it explained to him.

One night he's gonna be making love to her and his hearts gonna explode and she's gonna be trapped under 600 lbs of flaccid, fish-belly cellulite, shifting like the tides of the ocean.

As blood, and plegm and bile and a chaw of tobacco pours out of his nose and mouth into her face. Yeah, that's it! Just before she drowns in that chunky puddle of after-birth, she turns to the television and sees me on the Tonight Show."

The Dark Poet - Bill Hicks
Post Sun Mar 09, 2003 12:57 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

lovely
Post Sun Mar 09, 2003 7:30 pm
jehu

nice...  Reply with quote  

Quote:

"I decided over this break up, why get bitter about all women because of one. So I looked on the bright side and thinked it'd help my career if she left me....fine.

I'm definately a driven man now. I'm driven by this fantasy that one day this girl who I loved more than anyone in the world and I gave my heart to and she said she loved me, then left.

One day this girls gonna be living in a trailer park. Somewhere in Oklahoma. She's gonna have nine naked little kids with rickets that bring home dead animals from the side of the road for them to eat.

She's gonna live with an ex-welder, 600 lbs with fur all over his back. Drinks warm beers, and farts and belches and beats the kids. Watches the Dukes of Hazzards everday. Has to have it explained to him.

One night he's gonna be making love to her and his hearts gonna explode and she's gonna be trapped under 600 lbs of flaccid, fish-belly cellulite, shifting like the tides of the ocean.

As blood, and plegm and bile and a chaw of tobacco pours out of his nose and mouth into her face. Yeah, that's it! Just before she drowns in that chunky puddle of after-birth, she turns to the television and sees me on the Tonight Show."

The Dark Poet - Bill Hicks

hot damn i love that ^^^

Post Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:06 pm
SneepSnopDotCom
COCKRING WRAITH

Bill Hicks is one of the greatest comedic talents of our times... his death is every bit as fucked up as Andy Kaufman's...

If you guys don't know Bill Hick's work... or if you think David Cross' brand of opinionated, intelligentsia-oriented humor is good... Check out Hicks' old cds.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:16 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Jump to: