Search
Register
Spine review of makeshift patriot 7"
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Spine review of makeshift patriot 7"  Reply with quote  

http://216.239.57.100/search?q=cache:IiUq1izKTbkC:www.spinemagazine.com/db/Single/by-title/m.html+sage+francis+makeshift+patriot+EP&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

> Sage Francis 'Makeshift Patriot'

OK, this 7" been around for a while at the time of review (I only just saved enough money to buy the eight 12"s from Hiphopsite required to get it!), but it's one of those singles that deserves as many reviews as possible so I felt obliged to give it a little run-through on here. Sage Francis from the group Non Prophets is often just lumped with 'those backpack rappers' along with Sole and the Anticon clique - which is often a too-easy dismissal of some of hip-hop's more experimental and creative participants.

'Makeshift Patriot' struck a chord with so many people simply on the subject matter: the bombing of the World Trade Center on September 11th in New York. It's a harsh call to weigh up your emotions, guide your thoughts and have you questioning your anger and frustration at everything that happened that terrible day. It's definitely a political record - and better for it. Think back to the day of the 11th and you'll obviously have your own personal memories of it. But Sage dips below the surface and pulls out all the dirt from the scene - think about how many times you saw 'CNN' logos branding the images of people being crushed. Think about how many 'Exclusive Coverage' camera angles you saw of people running terrified... Sage's emotive verses are spoken with harsh tones as he dismisses America's exploitation of the event: 'There is a new price on freedom, so buy into it while stocks last'.

Sage recreates the whole scene for you between his cynicism and thoughts, making you feel sad. How many records have made you FEEL anything recently? Superficially looking at the record, the music is numbingly sombre and Sage's voice is very straight-forward, which will either draw or repel you, but remains appropriate to the subject matter. I find it hard to listen to this track - it does evoke sadness in me - but it's probably one of the more important tracks I've heard in the past twelve months. For another taste of questioning about the ethics in politics, be sure to dig out Co Flow's 'Patriotism' single from a few years back, as El-P's questioning and foresight rings true with a lot of what's being said by Sage.

Reviewed by: CA
Post Sat Mar 08, 2003 4:10 am
swallowtheguilt

I definitely dig that the 7" is political. I was curious if you've participated in the Poets Against The War thing.
Post Sat Mar 08, 2003 4:35 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nope

sage...you should really get in touch with college radio stations...one listen to makeshift patriot and it's in...the song needs as much as exposure as it can get...seriously...I'm gonna try to get it on my college's radio station

this has been out for awhile now...not enough people know about it

enough college's in a certain area start playing it and a commerical radio station might have the balls to actually play it at like 3 am once a week or some shit

Too important of a song...
Post Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:04 am
Self-Ostracized

This song is mos def worth all the radio play it can get....this is the very song that made a few of my friends convert to underground.....i cant thank sage enough for producing such a great song
Post Sat Mar 08, 2003 11:12 am
pakilicious

LOL convert to underground, haha did you baptize them?[
Post Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:28 pm
Self-Ostracized

???
Post Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:48 pm
pakilicious

dont pay attention to my posts man, i just write shit that doesnt make sense
Post Sat Mar 08, 2003 4:12 pm
Self-Ostracized

Ok thanks for telling me that because i really didnt see what you were trying to get at
Post Sat Mar 08, 2003 4:33 pm
Nortled

The thing I didn't agree with was the 7 out of 10 spinal rating: that should be bumped up to at least 8 or 9 when comparing to other reviews that guy did. Maybe the penalty was because an entire year wasn't spent producing the track.
Post Sat Mar 08, 2003 4:49 pm

Jump to: