Profile
Search
Register
Log in
Police State
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Author Message
quasifoto



Joined: 30 Jun 2002
Posts: 975
Location: Albany
 Reply with quote  

and they did have him arrested. he didn't ask to be arrested. he was told to take the shirt off at which point he thought that he had a right to keep it on. morally he was right. they pressed charges. he stood up for his beliefs. something that people need to do these days. they were wrong and they know it.

if you have a peace shirt- wear it to your local mall next time you go. just to prove a point that you won't be censored.
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:50 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Bleys



Joined: 09 Oct 2002
Posts: 156
 Reply with quote  

Dude, the bottomline here is the mall is a private institution, they can do what they want.

If you don't like it, shop elsewhere. No one is forcing anyone to shop at this particular mall.
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:19 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Nope



Joined: 23 Jan 2003
Posts: 1916
 Reply with quote  

Bleys wrote:
Dude, the bottomline here is the mall is a private institution, they can do what they want.



ahhh...the bottom line...

"reality is, these guys can bend you over...and you just have to take it or go get bent over by somebody else"

we all realize this...just doesn't make it right

peace
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:25 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
quasifoto



Joined: 30 Jun 2002
Posts: 975
Location: Albany
 Reply with quote  

"Dude, the bottomline here is the mall is a private institution, they can do what they want.

If you don't like it, shop elsewhere. No one is forcing anyone to shop at this particular mall."

thing is in past years this kind of thing would have never happened. times are changing and people need to stand up at some point. if you're not willing to say this is wrong, when will you ever stand up?

again the mall even knows they messed up.
Post Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:44 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Bleys



Joined: 09 Oct 2002
Posts: 156
 Reply with quote  

This kind of thing happens all the time, but it's usually with things like swastikas or other almost universally offensive things. So it doesn't get any press.

If the mall owners are offended by a peace t-shirt, who are you to say that's not right?

You all seem to be basing your arguments on freedom of speech, while your main objective is to LIMIT the freedoms of the mall owners (which are privately held institutions and should thus be afforded every freedom granted to anyone else).

Again, changing the law to allow people to wear whatever they want on other people's property actually limits freedom of speech more than it promotes it.
Post Sat Mar 08, 2003 3:18 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
MessiahCarey



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 10924
 Reply with quote  

quasifoto wrote:
this whole post shocks me. i wouldn't expect it on this forum! not like this. a guy wore a peace shirt in a mall!!! it's really that simple, he was targeted when he shouldn't have been. what if a muslim was told they couldn't wear something that was from their heritage from the mall because it was disturbing the shoppers? it's private property but come on, it's not like it's somebody's house. shit, anyone who kicks someone out of their home for wearing a peace shirt needs their head examined. the mall dropped charges, backtracked, they regret it- BIGTIME. but you'd still defend them? come on. this post is sick.


Unfortunately, I am left with no option but to defend their right - because it's the same right, as I've said, that keeps me from having to allow people with racist garb in my home.

But you're right, it's unfortunate that these laws make me look as if I'm doing what you've twisted this into.

Peace,
Shane
Post Mon Mar 10, 2003 8:39 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Nope



Joined: 23 Jan 2003
Posts: 1916
 Reply with quote  

Bleys wrote:

Again, changing the law to allow people to wear whatever they want on other people's property actually limits freedom of speech more than it promotes it.


see with me ain't that.....

if they had the balls to actually say why the want somebody out...I wouldn't be all up about it

say you don't want women in cause you in fact do not want women around you

say why you don't want a t-shirt that says 'give peace a chance'...they still haven't

but they don't have the balls to do that cause it's bad pr....well once people start protesting this kind of shit, it becomes bad pr...and then when you backtrack....sssshhhit

it becomes a fucking joke

if you don't have a reason, stick your overriding rights up your ass. Tell those black people you don't want them in your golf club cause you you don't want niggas lowering the class of your property

come out and say that...fucking bitches...
Post Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:39 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
ihaveagluegun



Joined: 14 Oct 2002
Posts: 907
Location: Austin, Tx
 Reply with quote  

RandomSurge wrote:
Bleys wrote:

Again, changing the law to allow people to wear whatever they want on other people's property actually limits freedom of speech more than it promotes it.


see with me ain't that.....

if they had the balls to actually say why the want somebody out...I wouldn't be all up about it

say you don't want women in cause you in fact do not want women around you

say why you don't want a t-shirt that says 'give peace a chance'...they still haven't

but they don't have the balls to do that cause it's bad pr....well once people start protesting this kind of shit, it becomes bad pr...and then when you backtrack....sssshhhit

it becomes a fucking joke

if you don't have a reason, stick your overriding rights up your ass. Tell those black people you don't want them in your golf club cause you you don't want niggas lowering the class of your property

come out and say that...fucking bitches...



5th amendment
Post Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:19 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Nope



Joined: 23 Jan 2003
Posts: 1916
 Reply with quote  

and you're still missing the point

you seem to be good at that

you should try staying away from the glue for awhile...you might be accidentaly inhaling some fumes
Post Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:00 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Nope



Joined: 23 Jan 2003
Posts: 1916
 Reply with quote  

you fail to realize that this constitution of yours is what has allowed the government to hook you up with daily hot beef injections

but you seem to like them..."it's the law"

please...
Post Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:02 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
quasifoto



Joined: 30 Jun 2002
Posts: 975
Location: Albany
 Reply with quote  

shane- it's a mall, not a home so it's way different. and they were trying to send a message and they just messed up. what if this happened to you? would you have just gave in? what's right here? what did i twist this into? not sure what that meant?

so the security guard has now been fired. he was told to do what he did. the mall is using him as a scapegoat. so that's the new story that is making the mall look foolish again.

peace.

qua
Post Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:41 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Nope



Joined: 23 Jan 2003
Posts: 1916
 Reply with quote  

quasifoto wrote:

so the security guard has now been fired.


that is fucking ridiculous...I hate this country...

stick your fucking laws up your ass
Post Mon Mar 10, 2003 9:31 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
MessiahCarey



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 10924
 Reply with quote  

quasifoto wrote:
shane- it's a mall, not a home so it's way different.


I wouldn't want them in my mall, either.

I miss your point.

The mall has a requirement to the shops that pay them xxx every month. One of those shops called, the mall reacted.

If anyone is to blame, it's the fucking shopkeeper for calling like an asshole. Everything else is reactionary to that - the mall is not to blame, they were in a tough spot.

The shopkeeper is an asshole - the mall may have overreacted but I don't think it was with the intent of stifling expression, just with the intent of eliminating a PERCEIVED threat from a shopkeeper. That's what they pay the mall to do, after all, in addition to giving them a place to conduct business.

Now, I don't LIKE how the mall handled it - but we have to be careful when we talk about changing laws for JUST THIS REASON. Again, the same law keeps racist hate messages from proliferating. I, as a mall owner, should be allowed to choose whether or not my establishment it to be a forum for political expression - of course it would be more even-handed if that included kicking out anti-muslim sentiments as well, but that's the owner of the property's perrogative.

I don't think it SHOULD be this way, but that's the way it is. These are the reasons laws are dumb and I remain an anarchist. Heh.
Post Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:27 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
creeper



Joined: 14 Mar 2003
Posts: 15
 Reply with quote  

I believe that he was kicked out because his shirt allegedly caused an uproar, and they are allowed to kick out people who cause problems. Nonetheless, this is a stupid reason and probably a lie. They gave the guy a warning before expelling him, so its all completely legal. Legal and wrong.
Post Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:09 pm
 View user's profile Send private message

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:56 am
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon