Search
Register
Paid Dues review. "The hottest hip hop festival ever&qu
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Paid Dues review. "The hottest hip hop festival ever&qu  Reply with quote  

http://www.melodytrip.com/Community/blogs/melodytrips_first_podcast/default.aspx

Paid Dues: The Hottest Hip Hop Festival Ever
When I pulled up at Mesa Amphitheatre, it was 107 degrees at 6:00 p.m., so I figure you have to really love independent hip-hop to be at Paid Dues AZ. Mesa Amphitheatre is outdoors and offers very little shade. When I walked in, everyone had taken seats on the grass in the shady portion of the amphitheatre if they weren’t standing in front of the stage. As the sun was setting, seating gradually migrated across the entire place.

It was a great hip-hop festival. I just wish it had been held indoors or during what we call “winter” here in Arizona, when it’s around 75-85 degrees. I actually stalled before going to the fest and it was a smart move. Even getting there at 6:00 and braving the heat made me want to pass out. I found a shady spot to sit and that’s just what I did in between spending $3.50 to buy 20-ounce water bottles. As I arrived, Brother Ali was playing so I had gotten there just in time. More on him in a paragraph or so.

First off, Felt was great and I was psyched to see them. I really wanted to stay for Living Legends but the 107-degree weather took its toll. Signs in the bathroom stalls even said to drink plenty of water and stay cool to avoid heat exhaustion. I lasted only two hours and managed to spend $7 on 40 ounces of water that also cost me several trips to the ladies room. It was so hot, even Sage Francis called himself a douchebag for coming on stage in head-to-toe camo fatigues. (Those came off at the end of his first song).

Going to see Paid Dues was all love.

The young crowd clearly loved independent hip-hop and knew every word to every song. When Sage Francis came on, there was a mass exodus towards the stage. People stopped what they were doing and ran to be close to him. I don’t know if you’ve ever spent a great deal of time in 107-degree heat, but it has a way of making people not move so fast. So seeing folks fly towards the stage to see Sage up close really said a great deal.

Brother Ali was the best. Felt was great, Sage Francis was good, but Ali was the best. He’s the truest white rapper ever as an albino. I can only imagine how sick the heat must have made him feel. He had the best beats with tons of bass. His rhymes were the sickest of all. He had a great stage presence plus a good voice and delivery. He also had the crowd. I was transfixed by his rhymes. I’m going to have to run out and buy his album because it has to be at least half as good as his stage show.

Sage was good. He’s a one-man show without a DJ or a band. He even did a song a capella with the backing of the audience clapping their hands. It’s got to take some serious balls to jump on stage alone like that. Francis forever endeared himself to me with an emo joke after performing “Spaceman.” It went something like this:

“Think they have any emo pizzas in space? You know, the pizza that cuts itself?”

It took the crowd a moment to get it. Thankfully, the Paid Dues crowd had no emo kids in attendance. Doesn’t it just make you love hip-hop so much more that emo kids are immune to it? For a show full of teens, I thought it was unusual to see no emo kids present. Thank God and long live hip-hop just for that!

Sage Francis talked about getting into trouble with the cops and that he had a “rough couple days.” Murs said Sage had been arrested in New Mexico…but no one said why.

Murs kept popping on and off stage to help the others and said he was the guy who organized the whole tour. Note to Murs: do the show indoors the next time you come through Arizona! And do please come through here again. We needed a good fest like this.

Murs also wore a racecar driver’s suit until Felt said he was worried about him for wearing it in the heat all day. That’s the point where I took off because I could no longer take the heat. I think it’s worth saying that the Paid Dues stage was in direct sun until that mother finally set for the day. I’m with Felt; I don’t know how Murs did it.

I left at 8:00 p.m. and it was still 107 degrees. I also left with a deep appreciation for independent hip-hop, which proved to be just as hot as the temperature at Paid Dues AZ.
Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:21 pm
mzehe916

Why did Murs get arrested?
Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:06 pm
mizterie

mzehe916 wrote:
Why did Murs get arrested?

Quote:

Murs said Sage had been arrested in New Mexico…but no one said why.
Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:20 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I'd like to say that Brother Ali has an incredible stage show...one of the best live modern performers, but I won't bow down to the comment this writer made about "rhymes." I'll take rhymes over performance any day. haha. I don't know what the writer is talking about really...by mentioning rhymes...but I'll go toe-to-toe on rhymes with anyone any day ever and forever any time ever. No one ever talks about rhymes anymore...like...literally. Rhymes. But I'll go there.
Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:26 pm
poopsnack

Felt is a really great guy.

Wu-Tang, he is cool too.

Kool G Rap, they are fantastic.

KRS-One are tops.
Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:32 pm
phataccino

That reads like a 7th grader's 'what I did last summer' report.

Or maybe I'm just jealous that I didn't catch the tour.
Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:44 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

it's true that this writer isn't really great.
A middle aged white dude sitting back stage as far as I can remember.
Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:52 pm
redball

Sage Francis wrote:
A middle aged white dude sitting back stage as far as I can remember.

The writer?

I hope the writer is female with the trips to the ladies room and all.
Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:55 pm
HercOrama
wolf

poopsnack wrote:
Felt is a really great guy.

ah, give her a break.

she did it once at the end, and in the beginning she referred to felt as 'them'.
Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:25 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Ah, the person who wrote this isn't who I thought it was. nevermind.
Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:29 pm
pedavis

Sage Francis wrote:
Ah, the person who wrote this isn't who I thought it was. nevermind.

even superman makes mistakes.
Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:52 pm
poopsnack

Herc, you are right - she did use them at the beginning. But later she gets it wrong twice. The "I'm with Felt" line wasn't entirely wrong... but it shows me that she doesn't know what the hell she is talking about. Regardless, it's cool that she enjoyed the show and wrote about it.

Sage - the emo pizza thing is funny as hell and I'm gonna steal it somehow, sometime.

Back in the day when groups like Milk Dee were top billin and a guy like UTFO was busy pleasing skeezers I would have not mentioned it. I must be losing it.
Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:10 am
Jared Paul

she also sounds like somebody who's first language is not english. like an international student from Johnson & Whales who likes emo rap and wrote a review. it's very thinly masked, the overly literal, kindergarten-esque sentence structure. i'll bet somebody a vegan doughnut.

also, i've seen Ali more than 5 times, and he is ridiculously dope live; i wouldn't wanna follow him, or rather i WOULD wanna follow him; not with music, but with acapella... when somebody slays the crowd like that, they are transfixed... it makes mediocre delivery and mediocre lyrics sound words and it makes intense delivery and hard to write lyrics sound BETTER. So i would wanna go on after him, like i would embrace the chance for a crack at the crowd rgight after an Ali set when the magic was still there and all the Ali energy was still bouncing around for me to collect, assuming it wasn't a 90 minute set or something, but at any rate i'm getting off topic here, what i really wanted to say was:
1. i think this mediocre review said "rhymes" but meant "flow," she wasn't mesmorized by Ali's rhymes at a huge festival show in 107 heat with everybody fainting, she was mesmorized by his delivery, flow, cadence, etc. i'm all in.
2. Ali + dj + hypeman in a practiced set? AWESOME
Francis + Di Vinci + Swam/Alex during AHD? I'm biased, but i'd take the Francis set over that Ali set anytime...

Props to Ali though. For earning his shit. Too many emcee's for too long have gotten the crutch of a indy rap audience with not many touring acts for too long... we have to go out and get ourselves hyped even when the shows are shitty, because there might not be another one for 5 months...
Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:06 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Ali's main DJ (BK One) had to bounce from the tour due to his fiance being hurt by the bridge collapse in Minneapolis when we were there (she is alive and healing well.) Ant took over for BK One and the set didn't seem to suffer at all. Ali's performance is like a montage of great hip-hop performance styles (a la KRS, PE)

Stepping to the stage after the crowd just got done doing 40 minutes of hip-hop calisthenics was difficult because...shit...people are tired. haha. Ali rips. It took a while for me to figure out what was best for me to do after a set like that. I gotta tip my hat to him and that challenge.
Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:47 am
O2K
SFF has a stalker.

Sage Francis wrote:
Ali's main DJ (BK One) had to bounce from the tour due to his fiance being hurt by the bridge collapse in Minneapolis when we were there (she is alive and healing well.) Ant took over for BK One and the set didn't seem to suffer at all. Ali's performance is like a montage of great hip-hop performance styles (a la KRS, PE)

Stepping to the stage after the crowd just got done doing 40 minutes of hip-hop calisthenics was difficult because...shit...people are tired. haha. Ali rips. It took a while for me to figure out what was best for me to do after a set like that. I gotta tip my hat to him and that challenge.

haha. Yea i remember at the rock the bells in san bernardino this year you were right after brother ali and the crowd (including me) were so tired from Brother Ali. And you still rocked the crowd (i think the living legends were after you) and it seemed like the crowd struggled to stay with it, especially in the heat.
Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:24 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next