Search
Register
mr. rogers died
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

JennyJive

I must agree about the puppets being scary...i can remember a few nightmares...
but i got my sweater on anyways.

kinda unrelated, but you know what used to scare the shit outta me too? on sesame street there was this bert and ernie skit where they went to a pyramid in egypt. there were two egyptian statue dudes that looked just like them and whenever bert left the room to explore, the ernie statue would start singing and dancing (rubber duckie, i think), but whenever ernie screamed for bert it would be back in its original place before bert got there. this happens two or three times, and then the last time berts standing there yelling at ernie and the bert statue says SOMETHING, though i can't for the life of me remember what (repression is an amazing thing) and they both get so scared that they pass out on the floor, the statues just laugh, and the skit ends. this terrified me to the point of practically wetting my pants, but at the same time i was grossly fascinated by it and couldn't look away or change the channel. i think what scared me so much was the thought "what the fuck happens after that??? how the hell do they get outta that pyramid??" shit, even today it still gives me the chills...
also scary, but not as much, the skit where the count sleeps over bert and ernies place, and ernie can't sleep because the dude counts sheep all night. in the morning, ernie looks like a zombie with these crazy bags under his eyes and he's actin all tripped out...all he can do is count, can't say nothin else.
ernie was my favorite character, maybe that's why i got so scared...i dunno...

does anyone else remember this? and if you do, did it creep you out or was i just a weird little kid?

RIP mr. rogers-you were such a peaceful man
Post Thu Feb 27, 2003 8:40 pm
amo1ne

haha, remember the book with grover called "monster at the end of this book" and the whole entire book is about a scary monster thats on the last page and grovers trying to convince you not to turn the pages and he chains them together and lays bricks and cements a wall to stop you but each time you turn the page he starts screaming "why'd you do that, there's a monster at the end of this book and you just brought us one page closer!" or soemthing like that? that shit gave me crazy nightmares. i hated it. i had to hide it under a sofa cause i couldnt even lok at it.
Post Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:01 pm
amo1ne

oh and in the end, the monster on the last page was just grover.
Post Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:01 pm
JennyJive

yo, i LOVED that book! i think i still have it somewhere, in fact.
and i believe you've quoted it EXACTLY how it read
haha thanks for the memory
Post Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:03 pm
amo1ne

haha no doubt.

is it just me or does anyone feel that our generation had so much more substance in our youth? tv, books, movies, even the junk food they used to make... everything seemed so much better. i dont know, im starting to feel really old, its sad to think that you could never go back to the way things were. its like those times are gone and are slowly being forgotten with all the wack shit thats invading our cultures these days. we're truly the last generation to ever have these memories and experiences and thats all gonna be erased when we're gone. i would pay $10,000 just to go back to the early 80's for one saturday morning, just to lie on the floor in my underwear under my old brown couch, watch cartoons and eat kraft dinner and feel good.

ive been thinking about this a lot lately and it inspired me to start a collection of classic videos and dvds. i started it already by ordering shit off this site called inetvideo with all those old school out of print disney videos like sport goofy's vacation and rare shit like that so that when im older and have children, i can share this kind of stuff and even go back to it as an old man and remember being 6 years old and playing super mario brothers on my nintendo and eating ninja turtle pizza snacks and watching garfield and friends and shit..

times have really changed. its kinda sad.
Post Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:26 pm
duke_city

amo1ne wrote:
haha no doubt.

i can share this kind of stuff and even go back to it as an old man and remember being 6 years old and playing super mario brothers on my nintendo and eating ninja turtle pizza snacks and watching garfield and friends and shit..

I do this everyday. I beat Super Mario Brothers 4 times in a row last night.

Brian
Post Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:31 pm
eggplant xanadu
try-harderator

i n\know i know
Post Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:31 pm
natas sevol dog

amo1ne, i know what you mean man, ive been buying toys and movies from the day, i dont know if when i have kids if they will even give a damn about the stuff, but i think it would be pretty cool just to show them the stuff you grew up to. but its kinda funny if you go to a toy store, there are still a TON of the shit we had, just updated, they have a new TMNT,M.U.S.C.L.E(not even kidding, i bought a box of em, there are colored ones gold ones silver ones and 2 in a box that fit together for a wrestling move + its like $4), Gi Joes, Transformers, He Man. and im sure they will do some more too. im not even 21 yet and thinking of the 80s makes me pretty old, who knows though maybe in another 10 years they will have home virtual reality hookups and you can take a virtual tour of a 80s home and watch 80s tv or better yet go to toys r us.
Post Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:51 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
weber

i also thought mr. rogers had already died  Reply with quote  

maybe it was a press error

props to the well-adjusted person.

my sentiments are that mr. rogers is in heaven
and now he is an angel that will make a beautiful neighborhood for the children there
if it could be any better than it already is

he lived a good life and was successful and had an impact
so if i was mr. rogers, i wouldn't be afraid

i liked him a lot when i was little, my favorite was that miniature place they would go on the train.

i also liked when he would cook in his kitchen and when he would have visitors that he would help solve their problems.......

really the best was just him walkin in the house (set) and picking out a cardigan; they were all the same! but he would hang them up etc....i always liked that part of the show.....sometimes mr. rogers would have a fish in an aquarium and he would teach his guests how to care for it; sometimes it was a puppy; sometimes he was showing you how to make pudding or pancakes or some shit......

he definitely impacted my psyche somehow from the media exposure
i think it was good because he was really nice..........so
yeah i was disappointed to hear he is dead. he's glad to have a legacy left.
that's always good. :)
Post Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:59 am
darnell

say it isn't so!  Reply with quote  

He was my buddy! My favorite part about the show was him changing his sweaters and shoes. Don't ask me why I just loved it. He always kept me guessing, green sweater, brown, whichever i loved it. Is that really weird?
d :cry:
Post Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:09 pm
thisunu

.  Reply with quote  

ghostbusters, best cartoon ever! the real ghostbusters, not the one with the gorrilla, although that was ok too.
when the sandman would give all the kids nightmares and he had his world of all the closets. terrifying. i don't think that kids have any idea what it was like on saturday mornings when all the channels played nothing but the best cartoons and u had the tear your hair out trying to decide what to watch. but now they have all the crappily computer generated action shows. i'm not really feeling them. it's no muppet babies.
i'm also from pittsburgh but i go to school in philly. so i wasn't able to be there to see the coverage on the news. i called my mom and she said it was non-stop, as it should be. not many people have done what he had. it's sad. i'm very proud that this thread wasn't like some of the other ones i've read recently. i think everyone talking about these things without getting into arguments is great. memories kick ass sometimes, like when someone was talking about the grover book. dude! i loved that book my mom would read it to me and do his voice and everytime she would turn the page she got all excited and it would make me jumped as she slowly turned to see what was next. and even though it was right before bed, and i was all jumpy and scared as we almost finished the book, she still read it to me almost everynight. although i knew that grover was the monster, she made me somehow forget that i practically had the book inscribed in my brain. i'm rambling. it's sad.
i miss my mom.
RIP Mr. Rogers

steve
Post Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:54 pm
PaigeMaster6

have any of yall ever read 'millicent the monster'??
best fucking childhood book ever.
Post Sat Mar 01, 2003 1:37 pm
amo1ne

^^ haha I read that! Remind me about it though... I remember there was a boy who had a green or yellow monster and I remember one part where they painted or something for school. I used to be scared of that book too.

Did you ever read the one with the kid who loved gorillas and his dad was always too busy to take him to see one but than a gorilla came to his room at night and took him to the zoo and to the movies and all kinds of shit?

The scariest damn book of all time though... well there was 3 of them - "There's A Monster In My Closet", "Where The Wild Things Roam" and "Come Into My Night, Come Into My Dreams"

That last one was the scariest kids book of all time! It's about a kid who drops a seed or something in his carpet and spits on it and his mom gets mad at him but than at night all this weird shit happens to him and he leaves his bed and it's like this crazy world where there's a goblin in his bathroom who takes him around and they see all kinds of fucked up shit.

Also, did you ever read that book with the paint monsters? It was a huge fancy picture book about monsters who lived in caves and spread colors everywhere. It was called something rainbow.. that was scary too.

Oh and there was one about different kind of monsters and it showed pictures of them and than said that they didn't exist but than when nobody was around this little kid would see them and there was one pictre of the boogieman in the kids room that mad me shit in my pants.

haha its funny that we all read the same books a kids..
Post Sat Mar 01, 2003 2:13 pm
asexualdrone

RIP
Post Sat Mar 01, 2003 2:27 pm
Dionysus

He did alot for kids....  Reply with quote  

and I think he's earned a bit of rest.

I'm sad to hear he's gone, but I'm glad I got a chance to grow up on his show, and I'll see to it my kids do, too...if I ever have the misfortune to reproduce.
Post Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:12 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next