Search
Register
The Final Death Dance
View previous topic | View next topic >

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Strange Famous Forum > Old Shows. Come meet the ghost of performance past.

Nathan Shupe

The Final Death Dance  Reply with quote  

So I was going to write a review of last night's Portland show, but I really can't say anything that hasn't already been said two, three, or four times already, so I'll keep it short.. I will say that this was a great show. Buddy Wakefield impressed the hell out of me, Alias' set was refreshing. I hadn't seen him rap like that in a few years, so that was great. Buck 65 gets much respect for playing a good set, despite being very sick. I picked up a few of his tour CDs as well, which I haven't listed to all the way through yet, but sound good so far. I got to awkwardly introduce myself to Sage prior to the show, which was cool. I'd met him before, but this was the first time since I've been posting on here... I also got to meet Tom Inhaler after the show, and he was a very nice guy. Dilly Dilly is from Portland, so I've seen her play quite a bit, but she's always great!

All in all this was an excellent show, and I truly appreciate you guys tacking this show on at the end of a long tour, and still giving it your all. The venue's not the best, and there were a few sound problems, including Buck's left channel cutting out for a little bit, and a low level, constant buzzing noise during the last half of Sage's set even during total silence. Sage and friends pressed on like the professionals they are. The Station is two blocks from my house, so that was very nice... Congratulations on a succesfull tour. I hope you accomplished what you wanted to. May you all get the rest you deserve.
Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:38 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I wish we had performed at the Space venue. I'll never return to that shit hole. It's unfortunate that our very last show was in a raggedy crap hall. But maybe it was good to give us all an extra kick on the ass and end the trip. Like..."it ain't gonna get any better. Let it go now."

thank you for attending and for the write up.
Post Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:54 pm
Asterax

Boy, that makes me feel better to hear.

I came an hour and a half from the other border to Canada (i.e. Fryeberg area), to see this show and the venue was nasty. They patted everyone down going in, the whole setup was pretty second-rate. For those who haven't seen The Station, it sits in a strip-mall in between a One Stop Grocery store and a True Value hardware shop. When artist comes into to their last show on a 40+ date tour, it is rather hard to take the venue seriously when people are doing their Sunday night shopping next door. No atmosphere, what atmosphere felt like a prison.

Seeing this show was a really cool experience because I saw Sage on the first date in Cambridge. I was amazed to show much more compact the sets were. Going Back to Rehab was not played on this show, which really surprised me. I felt like it was the one song that Sage said, "has only been attempted once, and you'll see at the end of the show" was the song that would be played. All the artists really had their shit together. Buck 65's rendition of the Jungle Brothers, and why he did a rendition, was great. Dilly's uke is amazing. I don't remember it before. Buddy's set was a lot shorter this time around and I missed it. Alias didn't do as much cutting/scratching, but I really enjoyed the songs he rapped.

Sometimes it is a real treat seeing Sage play Maine venues because of the dumbass crowds/venues.

During a dramatic pause in the last song where Buddy does a spoken word piece-
"and rob said"

Oh, Maine. I'll miss you.
Post Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:36 am
Nathan Shupe

Sage Francis wrote:
I wish we had performed at the Space venue. I'll never return to that shit hole. It's unfortunate that our very last show was in a raggedy crap hall. But maybe it was good to give us all an extra kick on the ass and end the trip. Like..."it ain't gonna get any better. Let it go now."

thank you for attending and for the write up.

haha, yeah, in the weeks leading up to the show I was asking myself "why The Station, why?" Space is a much better venue. I'm pretty sure last time you played at Space it was sold out, and that was like 2 or 3 years ago. I was at that show too... Oh well, none of you guys made it obvious on stage that you were not pleased with the venue. You still put on a great show, and I saw everything I wanted to see and more. Thanks again for coming out, it's much appreciated.

EDIT: And to add on to Asterax's story, I'm glad you called that guy out for the asshole he is, Sage. "What did Rob say?! This isn't a movie, we're real people up here" or something like that... haha it was great.
Post Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:02 pm

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to: