Search
Register
interview with mpls' dtweekend.com
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

interview with mpls' dtweekend.com  Reply with quote  

funny to see how phone interviews get translated online. Badly.

http://www.dtweekend.com/issues/story.php?story=200788

thursday, march 15

Sage Francis

Q Hello there. Is this Natalie? No, this is Natalia. Oh, well Iím looking for Natalie. Good bye. Short pause and then a nice, slow chuckle. Howís life? Life is good, I am in my house in Rhode Island. Is it a cottage? No, itís not but itís roughly the same size as a cottage. I heard there was a huge cold front up there. Yes, there is. The wind is awful. I feel like the walls of my house are going to get blown down. What did you do today? Well, I was woken up by my kitties. Then I ate cereal, I checked e-mail, and I helped my girlfriend take pictures of her portfolio.

How did you feel about the way you were portrayed in the Wu-Tang concert documentary, ďRock the Bells?Ē (During the Wu-Tang Clan reunion show in Southern Californa, Sage Francis, playing in support, spent his set antagonizing the crowd and getting belted by angry debris.) At first I was apprehensive, because I didnít know what they were going to do to the footage. Itís so easy to edit something into a different experience than it really was, and I did not want to be lampooned by their film, so I asked to see my portions before they finalized everything, so I could decide whether or not to approve it. I think they did actually lampoon me a little bit, but it was in a way that I liked.

The antagonism you had going on with that crowd was crazy. It was a very bold thing to do, to be willing to make this crowd sort of hate you for the sake of entertainment. It was a very, very long night, with a lot of waiting for Wu-Tang to come out, so I was just trying to do something different. While all the other acts were basically stroking them off, I was the bad guy, who everyone loves to hate. When I was a kid, watching the WWF, I always liked the evil wrestlers, the naughty ones, those were the ones for me. In the next few weeks after that show, a lot of people were saying how I had ruined my career by pissing all over the audience, figuratively speaking, like that ... Even backstage, while I was performing, the other rappers couldnít believe what I was saying. Then, of course, some of the performance ended up in ďRock the Bells,Ē and it couldnít really have turned out better.

How were you received in Europe when you last toured there? I always have a good reception. I go through a lot of cold countries ó Germany, England, Norway and Sweden ... I donít know why I have such a good standing there, but I think itís related to their strong regard for lyricism, a sort of greater appreciation of the craft. Even in the places where they donít speak English, they really like my lyrics.

Have you ever loved a pair of shoes? Iíve been wearing the same shoes for six years. Not literally the same pair, but the same style. Black, velcro, sort of orthopedic ... I donít want any of these new space- age shoes.

What are some examples of music you listen to thatís not hip-hop? Iíll listen to anything from Hank Williams I to Hank Williams III. I like Neil Young.

Itís obvious that you take a hands-on approach to handling your music and your career. Definitely. This is a flooded industry full of sinking ships. If you want to survive, you have to be involved at every level of your career, not just the production of the music.

What are you going to do when youíre in town [for SXSW]? What I like about Austin is standing on the street in downtown, watching all the different types of people go by ó thereís a lot to see out there. Onstage, Iíll be masturbating and pontificating, as usual.

Should I warn the police about you? No, you probably shouldnít tell the police anything about me. They probably know already.

Sage Francis plays Emoís March 15 at 8 p.m.

óNatalia Ciolko
Post Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:44 pm
marshall84

That is one confusing piece of human language.
Post Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:00 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

It's great! Ha. Totally worth scheduling out a part of my day so that I can do something for some random website that convinced my publicist that they had something official going on and then seeing this. Love the internet.
Post Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:04 pm
Lusid
http://youtube.com/watch?v=skCV2L0c6K0

Post Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:13 pm

Jump to: