Profile
Search
Register
Log in
why the fuck do people think its ok to not be good at math??
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Author Message
apeofdeath
FIRE BREATHING DRAG QUEEN


Joined: 30 Sep 2002
Posts: 2804
Location: Kingston, mang
 Reply with quote  

um how was I dodging a comment?

I'm not saying that you have to be able to do mulitvariable calculus or be able to integrate analytic functions. But you, DO need to be able to think logically. Right?

Logic is the foundation of mathematics, hence you need to be able to use mathematics to a large extent.


Mathematics is about opening your mind, being open to new concepts. If you simply shrug off math as being "too hard" then you are losing out on alot.

You guys dont like math so be it, I really couldnt give two shits. It's your loss, not mine.


Last edited by apeofdeath on Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:47 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
mack-mode



Joined: 02 Sep 2002
Posts: 402
Location: the dirty south
 Reply with quote  

it's not okay, I just suck at it, I wish I was but I don't have math brain. I was always the LAST one done with my test and probably cheated in someway.
Post Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:49 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
weedy420
Guest




 Reply with quote  

bles wrote:
i can't do math...

but i bet 9 times out of 10 i'd beat the shit out of someone that can.

so blow me, nerd.



so whats the ratio of you being in jail to the times you get butt raped????
1-10
Post Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:16 pm
 
mortalthoughts
LAME KID


Joined: 12 Dec 2002
Posts: 11616
Location: MI
 Reply with quote  

heh....i should correct my self when i qouted that 9 out of 10 comment......for me its probbly maybe 5 or 6 out of 10
Post Fri Feb 21, 2003 5:27 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Sarcastro



Joined: 27 Sep 2002
Posts: 3281
 Reply with quote  

FoJaR wrote:
all im saying is that if you CANT understand math, no matter how hard you try, then you will end up bagging my food. if you stopped because you didnt think you would need it in your career as a...... then whatever. i still think that giving up on math is a bad idea, but you are the one that calls the shots. good luck, may the spare time that you got from dropping math bring you happiness and fortune.


ok its fantastic that you relish in your above average math skills, but please, get off your high horse. You don't need math skills (and by that I mean algebra, calculas, and higher) to be a success in life, and that's just plain common sense, just look around at the world we live in, so stop trying to ridicule people who don't understand it as well as you do.

and if sage or joey or anyone sees this, please lock this thread, it was a dumb subject to begin with and now it's just becoming worst.
Post Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:12 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
ihaveagluegun



Joined: 14 Oct 2002
Posts: 907
Location: Austin, Tx
 Reply with quote  

Infamous wrote:
um how was I dodging a comment?

I'm not saying that you have to be able to do mulitvariable calculus or be able to integrate analytic functions. But you, DO need to be able to think logically. Right?

Logic is the foundation of mathematics, hence you need to be able to use mathematics to a large extent.


Mathematics is about opening your mind, being open to new concepts. If you simply shrug off math as being "too hard" then you are losing out on alot.

You guys dont like math so be it, I really couldnt give two shits. It's your loss, not mine.


you awnsered someone besides me, see page two, maybe you just skipped over it.

ok, math is beased on logic, great, therefore you can have logic without math. so why did you even say that? was it not illogical to make a statement that in no way supports you argument.....hmm

one, math is NOT about opening your mind, at least not for everyone, if it did anything, it closes me up, what opens my mind is thought, reading, and debate/discussion
Post Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:47 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FoJaR



Joined: 06 Feb 2003
Posts: 1534
Location: VA.
 Reply with quote  

im not saying that you cant be a success if you dont know algebra, im just saying that if you are the kind of person who cant use logic to a very basic degree, and you dont have the perseverance to continue with it until you get it, then you probably wont get very far in life. you cannot refute this statement. if you dont have "smarts" or a drive to get you where you want to be, then you arent going to get there. you will live a life of mediocrity. it might not be the worst situation possible, hell, you might even be "happy". but i promise you this, when you look back and think about what you could have done, you will wish you had done something differently.

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these 'it might have been' "
Post Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:03 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
gerhupsom vanbone



Joined: 03 Jul 2002
Posts: 2697
 Reply with quote  

FoJaR wrote:
im not saying that you cant be a success if you dont know algebra, im just saying that if you are the kind of person who cant use logic to a very basic degree, and you dont have the perseverance to continue with it until you get it, then you probably wont get very far in life. you cannot refute this statement. if you dont have "smarts" or a drive to get you where you want to be, then you arent going to get there. you will live a life of mediocrity. it might not be the worst situation possible, hell, you might even be "happy". but i promise you this, when you look back and think about what you could have done, you will wish you had done something differently.

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these 'it might have been' "



Yeah! just ask my mom who works all day for money just to come home and spend her free time doing bills. That would make me real happy.

Money isn't everything.

I do somewhat enjoy math, I just hate having to memorize tables and formulas and that junk.
Post Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:01 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
mortalthoughts
LAME KID


Joined: 12 Dec 2002
Posts: 11616
Location: MI
 Reply with quote  

heh...all the odd ?'s andwers were in the back of my math book.....easy way to scam through an assignment.....get some of the even ones right and just copy the odd ones





fyi
cheaters never win :P
Post Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:11 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
apeofdeath
FIRE BREATHING DRAG QUEEN


Joined: 30 Sep 2002
Posts: 2804
Location: Kingston, mang
 Reply with quote  

ihaveagluegun: without the tools of mathematics logic would be something really vague and more or less useless. There would be no common standard. Granted, you dont need to know about propositional logic to get through your life, all I am saying is that logic was formalized through the use of mathematics. Logic is deeply rooted in mathematics, when you go about your daily routine you make choices based upon their consequences. no?

Just as a basketball player doesnt say im going to shoot the basketball with this much accelration in the y direction, this much accelration in the x direction, at this angle above the horizontal.... it's just something that is natural to them. As is logic for most of us.

Without mathematics, logic would be a set of incoherent axioms with no link to each other.

for YOU mathematics isnt about opening your mind, but for a great many it is. Some people have a natural aptitude for it, some dont.

but I do believe math can be very enjoyable, it's just that the education system emphasizes the wrong things, makes you memorize really useless formulae. Mathematics isnt about memorization, it's about problem solving. If you want to learn things by rote memorization go study biology.... hah
Post Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:42 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
gerhupsom vanbone



Joined: 03 Jul 2002
Posts: 2697
 Reply with quote  

yes problem solving kicks ass.

now i dont know wether or not i like math or despise it.
Post Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:47 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
ihaveagluegun



Joined: 14 Oct 2002
Posts: 907
Location: Austin, Tx
 Reply with quote  

Infamous wrote:
ihaveagluegun: without the tools of mathematics logic would be something really vague and more or less useless. There would be no common standard. Granted, you dont need to know about propositional logic to get through your life, all I am saying is that logic was formalized through the use of mathematics. Logic is deeply rooted in mathematics, when you go about your daily routine you make choices based upon their consequences. no?


No, what you said was that mathematcs was rooted in logic...


Infamous wrote:
Just as a basketball player doesnt say im going to shoot the basketball with this much accelration in the y direction, this much accelration in the x direction, at this angle above the horizontal.... it's just something that is natural to them. As is logic for most of us.


uh.....did you miss page two? I said the same thing, different example.

Infamous wrote:
Without mathematics, logic would be a set of incoherent axioms with no link to each other.


I disagree, other way around

Infamous wrote:
for YOU mathematics isnt about opening your mind, but for a great many it is. Some people have a natural aptitude for it, some dont.


right....you have a talent for skipping over things i write, i said that too..
Post Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:18 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FoJaR



Joined: 06 Feb 2003
Posts: 1534
Location: VA.
 Reply with quote  

personally, i like the physics. to me boilogy was just "and 2 ATP become blah blah blah..." physics is where its at. and i completely agree about schools. all they teach you are formulas, they dont teach you to understand what is really going on. to understand that you have to work at it yourself. if all you get out of math is "a bunch of formulas that you will never need later" then you wasted your time. i apologize for my earlier statements to blunted, you dont need math to get along. i just like it because you can do some crazy shit with it. and as far as money is concerned, i will never be rich. in fact, my liking of math will probably make me poor. should i reconsider my plans of being a hermit, id want to be a college professor. teaching + constant reasearch = one poor but happy motherfucker.

- peace FoJaR
Post Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:37 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
apeofdeath
FIRE BREATHING DRAG QUEEN


Joined: 30 Sep 2002
Posts: 2804
Location: Kingston, mang
 Reply with quote  

ok ihaveagluegun, give me a formal definition of what logic is. please, i implore you.
Post Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:48 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
ihaveagluegun



Joined: 14 Oct 2002
Posts: 907
Location: Austin, Tx
 Reply with quote  

Log*ic \ n : 1.dealing with the rules and tests of sound thinking and proof by reasoning. 2. sound reasoning 3. fundamental principles and the connection of circuit elements for arithmatical computation in a computer.

right out of the webster
THINKING .....as I said about opening of the mind, ahem
REASONING
FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLES (ie: math based on logic, not the other way around)

peace
Post Sat Feb 22, 2003 12:01 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:39 am
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon