Search
Register
Sage talks to Triple J
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

hannaford

Sage talks to Triple J  Reply with quote  

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/zan/listen/mp3s/sagefrancis.mp3

It was thanks to this station that I ever heard of Sage Francis when they featured A Healthy Distrust. They have been giving HTDD a good run lately aswell.
Post Tue May 29, 2007 3:42 am
Lants

there was also a HTDD review in the June issue of Melbourne Mag
Post Tue May 29, 2007 4:45 am
Spikey

And in this weeks 3D world for the Sydney peeps 8)
Post Tue May 29, 2007 5:29 am
Blackstone Valley

y'all wanna post these write ups?
Post Tue May 29, 2007 10:50 am
Lants

haha he said "y'all"

i was planning to scan in the one in MM, but my copy went missing
i'll try finding another (it's a free mag, but hard to find because they go quick)
Post Tue May 29, 2007 3:42 pm
Jesse Custer

... I thought this might be about Jeff Jarrett
Post Wed May 30, 2007 6:36 am
DeadAwake

Thanks for this, i didnt know triple J supported Sage. Though i dont listen to the radio much, triple J my favourite station when i do though.

ANyway good to see his getting some exposure here.
Post Thu May 31, 2007 2:49 am
Spikey

Here's the link to the 3D article

http://www.threedworld.com.au/content/view/3989/58/

Sage Francis is among few mavericks in contemporary hip hop. Hailing from the offbeat Rhode Island, Providence, he’s attracted a grassroots audience internationally with his politically shrewd raps, confessional lyrics and spoken word.

Two years after winning a freestyle battle at Scribble Jam, and on the tail of his widely circulated political missive Makeshift Patriot, Francis debuted with Personal Journals. He rematerialised in 2005 with A Healthy Distrust, on Epitaph, also home to Atmosphere. Sage, concerned with America’s darkening political climate, touted it as a ‘social’ LP. His latest, Human The Death Dance, has a different character again. Its tone is reflective, as the LP resurrects Growing Pains, based on a demo of Sage rapping as a kid.

Sage sums up Human as “a period mark on a certain era of album-making for me.” So how has he evolved? “I don’t know if I’m that self-aware where I can say, ‘These are the leaps that I made as an artist on this record.’ I go into my records [and] I try to capture the time period in which I record the album. This one in particular is a ‘reflection’ album, so I’m delving pretty far back into my memory and ‘resurfacing’ some stuff that’s just been lingering around.

“After this, I wanna move on into a whole new direction. The obvious question would be, Where is that? I can’t tell you. I don’t even know right now, I just know that it’s time for change - and I’m looking forward to it.”

Later Sage jokes about cutting “a party record”. Needless to say, he has little affinity with mainstream hip hop. What was once a subculture, an alternative to the “hair bands and heavy metal and rock’n’roll” he so reviled, is itself now the status quo. And it’s that status quo which Sage - and a handful of others he won’t name - are currently railing against. “We rebel against the status quo of hip hop while we completely salute the hip hop flag. We’re traditionalists, we grew up on it, we know the fundamentals, we can practise them, we exercise them but, at the same time, we have to contribute a lot of new stuff to the game that might take away from what people think is supposed to be ‘hip hop’.”

Between LPs Sage has written music for Gavin O’Connor’s police corruption drama Pride And Glory, which stars Edward Norton and Colin Farrell. Two of the tracks, including Waterline, about Hurricane Katrina, are on Human. O’Connor put Sage in touch with composer Mark Isham. “It’s strange that with all these big things happening [O’Connor] comes and looks specifically for Sage Francis to work on the soundtrack, because it’s not like my name brings a whole bunch of recognition to the typical filmgoer,” he says. “But it was an artistic decision on his end. He was a fan of Personal Journals, he really liked my narrative style - in my lyrics and my expression of it. He’s not trying to get any hip hop anthems out of it, he really just likes the way that I deal with human conflict, the way that I address it. He wanted me to identify with the main character and I guess express his conscience with what he’s going through in the film.”
Post Thu May 31, 2007 3:32 am

Jump to: