Search
Register
I'm not liking this life.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

lambchop

"Don't Stop Believin"  Reply with quote  

Sage, don't let people who are quite obviously batshit outta their minds get ya down. Unfortunately we are all surrounded by stupid people every day. It doesn't matter where you go, they're everywhere! I have been completely appalled at some of the comments and conversations that people post on your forum, including their opinions about our nations current state of war. I remember the first time I "really heard" MakeShift Patriot. It brought me to tears. To this day it is still the most accurate, right on statement I have heard about 9/11. It gave me hope that there actually were people out there that felt the same way I did and saw thru all the bullshit our government trys to feed us. Truth is, the fella who wrote you that email represents a large fraction of people in our country right now. Scary, believe me I know. So even at Sage Francis shows and on your forums you will continue to see these nutballs in full effect. But you can't forget the hundreds of people that you are getting thru to each and every day. Me included. So thankyou for the inspiration and motivator you continue to be to me. You're a modern day Kerouac, man! And I am still eagerly awaiting your arrival to Colorado! Much Respect and Love!
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:40 am
sliquid

Sage, you should give us that dudes email address....
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:01 am
Ryan

Re: I'm not liking this life.  Reply with quote  

Depression strikes.

Day after day I do these motherfucking shows. Long rides. car accidents. drunk people. hecklers. critics. I think these things are starting to overshadow the love and enjoyment that I am able to get from this lifestyle.

Bro, in the beginning, (yes, I said in the beginning) everything can seem purdy fucking heavy on your shoulders.. and I know a decent-set depression isn't carrying the workload with you. Maybe you need a break from touring.. get some other acts to push your merchandise for you for a little while..

What the fuck kind of fans am I attracting? How can someone be heckling me from the crowd and I am the ONLY ONE who deals with it? Pussies. A crowd of pussies.

I got in a scuffle with someone in the crowd two nights in a row. They both made me feel sick to my stomach. It felt like I was taking a necessary measure at the time.

You think there's an artist in existence who doesn't have some homothug, eccentric do-gooder fans? C'mon that's not true. Lotsa ppl get this mental image of this artist in their head, and if you fall outta their ideals they complete turn on you? C'mon, you don't need those kinds of fans anyways.. at least not right now.

I am getting well constructed emails from people calling me a hypocrite because I tour in a van (and that's just as bad as an SUV somehow.) How the hell else are 9 people supposed to sufficiently travel from city to city? I sprained my ankle at yesterday's show (very badly) and performed in horrible pain without saying as much as "shit." Today I was lashed out at by a couple audience members because I wasn't the saint they think i make myself out to be.

Who the FUCK have y'all been listening to????????

Well constructed e-mails, huh? Sounds like someone trying their hardest to get on your case.. read what you're typing Sage.. 9 ppl cross country via van.. sprained your fucking ankle onstage without missing a beat.. and now a couple audience members get physical and you're gonna sit their and question your essence as an artist, and as a person? Chill man..

WAKE THE FUCK UP, ASSHOLES.

I hate this new wave of people I have come across on this tour. They didn't exist before.

Yes, I sell merchandise. Selling merchandise is what has kept me away from serving ice cream for the past three years. It's the only reason I'm able to be your topic of coffee table conversation. I have not ever tried to present myself in a "holier than thou" manner, which I was also accused of today. i am a man with many MANY flaws. I write, record, perform, and entertain. That is my passion as well as my job.

Who doesn't sell merchandise? Just 'cause someone's making a couple weak links and using them to question your motives.. you sell that just to barely keep your ass on the road and making more merchandise to keep the cycle going..
As far as your holier than thou manner, I've never met you, and the only place I'd think anyone would be able to misconstrue your intentions as far as interacting with others go, is your clownass AIM convos.. and you're not wholeheartedly serious in many of them.. obviously.

the emails I am getting are insane. like...the things people blame me of really blow my mind. today's show was so difficult for me. I almost feel like crying right now and I don't know why. We woke up at 7 AM (on 2 hours of sleep), got in a car accident, drove 14 hours through rain and snowy mountains in order to get to Missoula, MT. The stage was miniscule but that was fine since I had a sprained ankle and needed to stay stationary anyway. The amount of smoke in the room coupled with my inability to hear my own voice on the monitors really put a strain on my throat to the point that the whole performance was painful. It literally hurt to perform. And unfortunately, the low mood I was in was translated to the crowd in the form of an iffy performance. I was offered weed so many fucking times that I stopped responding to voices.
The blame game.. if you aren't in question of your own motives then why you getting so down man? For every evil-stan you run into you have 1,000 completely support-bearing fans in their place.

I came back to the hotel room to recieve this email from Matt Cerullo:

"sage, i am a twenty-six year old male form boston who has recently relocated to montana to get as far away from pricks like you as possible. i am against invading iraq, for the obvious reasons. after hearing so many great things about you and your words i went to see your show in missoula tonight and walked out halfway through your set. i had to get home and check you out on the web cause i was sure that a pompous ass such as yourself would have a web site selling all your shit. sure enough, www.sagefrancis.com. during the performance of 'Makeshift Patriot' you mention all the suvs americans have to gas up, how the fuck did you get from tallahasse to missoula? in the interview on mvremix.com you make reference to recording/sampling the crowd at ground zero cheering on the rescue workers after the eleventh, simply perverse. also you are quoted as saying "It disturbs me for a number of reasons. and not just because I won't be seeing any money. that's the least of my concerns. I don't want to talk about this"(mvremix), in reference to your album being leaked on the web. why don't you want to talk about it? maybe because you are pissed about the $$$$? of course you are, why don't you call james hetfield and cry to him, i'll bet he'll listen. on your website there is a banner announcing,"COMING SOON!!Sage Francis store!Buy all Sage related items and get frequent show updates"(sagefrancis.com) i just wanted to bust your balls a little because you attempt to come across with this holier than thou attitude, then turn around use our insane capitalistic society to your advantage. it's pure bull-shit. what I truly think is that you have used 9/11 and are continuing to use this fucking war as a platform launch you and your 'Personal Journals' lp. you are fucking pathetic. you might as well tour w/eminem. get a life, and some ethics while your at it. if you ever make any dough i'd like my ten buck back please."

This is not an isolated incident. In fact, I am seeing some of the same sentiment on the messageboard and it really effects me.

Why'd he leave halfway thru your set? Sounds like he ain't feeling you.. I think this guy was really just pissed over his 10 bucks..
So what if you're selling your merchandise on your site? How many kats aren't? Not many these days..
A van ain't a SUV for one.. and you need the shit to get place to place.. you can't hold that against yourself..
What's wrong with you sampling ground zero? That's some of the realest shit to me..
As far as you not wanting to talk about your album being leaked.. This guy expects you to open yourself like a book at the drop of an interview? Please man, say whatever you want, don't-say whatever you want.. it's your life.
You obviously aren't using 9/11 to inrease your Personal Journals album sales.. First, the album isn't very focused on society.. Second, did that homothug stand out in the freezing fucking cold to protest? Did that fucking homothug record Makeshift Patriot and turn thousands of heads?
Does this kat seriously have you thinking you don't have any ethics?

I am sad. That's all. Disappointed in myself as well as many of y'all. I hope to be signing with a big label soon. And I look forward to doing away with as much involvement with people as possible. There will be others who can do the dirty work.

I don't know how this all turned so wrong

Bro, purdy much everything you typed up here about flak you're getting and accusations and judgements against you, is alllll bullshit..
Just recognize it man.. you know what's real and what's some stupid crazed-fantasy..
All in all only a handfull of ppl have any outlook even resembling what you've described today, towards you.
Think of the fans who are gonna give you shit when you sign with a major label.. Over a wholllle new topic..
Kats just find shit to bitch about man.. that's that.
Don't let some bullshit accusations and hype fuel your depression..

Just sit it out and keep reassuring yourself..
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:07 am
Seamus Ignoramus

Re: I'm not liking this life.  Reply with quote  

"sage, i am a twenty-six year old male form boston who has recently relocated to montana to get as far away from pricks like you as possible."

If I moved from where I live to get away from some pricks I wouldn't be running around to check out these pricks' shows and then devote my time to e-mailing them. Unless I was a fuckhead.
Sage, this shit is getting on top of you at the moment because you're currently in the middle of it. When you get a few days rest you'll realise once again how insignificant fuckheads' misconceptions are.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:16 am
gerhupsom vanbone

i know what its like to work really hard for something and have people that dont understand it ,or spending all your time perfecting what your gonna say to someone and have them not listen to you. It sucks, and its like the most depresing thing there is. Just remember that there are people out their that love your music, and its probably saved someone from killing themselves or something like that.

Hope you get better.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:44 am
sassywendy

thanks  Reply with quote  

Peace Sage,
If you read this I'm the kid with the hair from the denton show and the other 6 in the DFW area.

I wish you luck.
See you at scribble jam.

Peace and your music does change people's lives.

Hope your still aware of that

Enjoy your work,
Brock aka Sassy Wendy

Check the post on Rehash and Hydroponic sound system
the music is very relaxing
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:45 am
FuseONE

wow.  Reply with quote  

You're getting a lot of emails like that? Wow....who the fuck are these people?
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:03 am
Jesse

Jeez man, I can see how that'd hurt but you can't overestimate people or the way they'll behave. You've spent enough time around message boards to see how blind people can make themselves, right? If you're finding yourself criticized by people who think that selling anything ever is morally wrong, well then... pat yourself on the back, my man, because IDIOTS hate you.

keep the old head up, man. you're more than a match for the dickwads.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:08 am
Heroin Sheik

Fuck the new age, band wagon hopper fan base. Sage, you have a diverse listening crowd that follows, respects and praises your music since day one.

I have learned in the past week that you can't please everyone, and molding yourself to please these mother fuckers is not the answer becasue these mother fuckers will find another reason to hate on you.(i know you know this already but. i just wanted to address it)

As far as signing to a major label, do what you want to do if that was your plans before these incidents occurred. Don't jump to drastic measures over some recent bull shit. You know what...go ahead and sign. If anyone deserves it, you do.

Haters, WAKE THE FUCK UP! People need to eat.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:27 am
drol

.  Reply with quote  

i like sage's music and from countless ramblings ive read or heard, i respect him as a person.

hang in there, you still have fans.

devoted kid from anaheim,
drol.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:33 am
SneepSnopDotCom
COCKRING WRAITH

Anyone that touches certain people is rubbing others the wrong way.

That's just life... your personality and style of music will always attract a few people who think you are full of shit... I'm surprised you are surprised by these people... I would've thought they would have been a staple at every show you've ever done...

Overall, Sage, you are making money making music... the people talking shit to you have to work real jobs. You win.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:51 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
duke_city

I'm not suprised by the emails they have sent you Sage. The reason you receive them is for no other reason than because you allow people a way to directly contact you.

As an artist there has to be a line drawn where you don't let your fans cross. None of the shit in that email from the relocated Boston guy in Montana was true and even if it was its just his opinion he doesn't deserve the opportunity to even present it to you unless hes gonna do it to your face (which will never happen).

The internet is a great place to tell someone "fuck you" without ever having to deal with the consequences or atmosphere that would be present by saying those words in real life.

Its your own fault for making yourself so accessible. I'd be willing to bet that some of these emails you are getting were generated for no other purpse than to be mentioned on this message board.

Easy solution, get another email and only give it out to people who you want to know.

Brian
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:17 pm
SergOne

there is nothing wrong with driving a van or a suv, if you actually fucking use it, not like soccer moms who have their one child strapped in 9ft behind them watching a fucking dvd player.....this kids a fucking dairy queen, you shouldn't sweat this shit.....I do think that you are attracting more fans that don't have a lot of exposure to this hiphop shit and expect to see some type of poet/hippie on stage.... I say you tour with Dibbs and MOP, fuck all the bullshit...sucks about the anklehopefully shit gets better for you
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:20 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jaryd

i appreciate you
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:21 pm
formerly-penelope

i would be a great loss to see you withdraw from your audience.

i haven't been this excited about anything in years!
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:25 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next