I'm not liking this life.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Andvil

TheRutherglenRebel wrote:
Andvil wrote:
"yo, that rhyme woulve worked best with better simile usage in the past tense!"

LOL!

Perhaps what I'm talking about is more suited to poetry events rather than hip-hop shows, but I have on (rare) occasion seen debate(!) between an artist on stage and members of the audience. I don't know, perhaps live 'popular' music occupies a strange middle ground somewhere between opera or ballet, where everyone sits in a dignified silence, appreciating what's going on in front of them, and say a football match at the other extreme, where a lot of people are under the impression that acting like a dick is an entry requirement or something.

nice...very interesting. so I guess its kind of like a a hip-hop Inside the Actors Studio....or Inside the Poets Studio haha... I dont know...I feel you though, thanks for the reply (sorry for getting off-topic)

Last edited by Andvil on Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:05 am
pav

well there's always gonna be silly fans.. and shit will always suck.. but take into account that you have fans that will continue to come to the shows and support year after year..

and maybe you should reschedule the new york date>> we'll be a great audience.. promise!
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:15 am
hugh grants hooker

i understand how easily this could all hurt sage. i definitely feel very sorry for him.
however, i dont even see how he could take it seriously.
he's capitalist? haha
he wears the same shit everynight, and half of the time he talks people out of sales at the merch table... "oh, you sure you want that, it only comes in this size".
and holier than thou? once again, haha

i dont know about other places, but in tallahassee all you have to to do is show up an hour early and you can see sage walking around in the parking lot. seemingly searching for someone to talk to. if THAT is holier than thou... what the fuck does that make other artists?

i find all the accusations very laughable. however, they dont strike as close to home for me as they do for sage. sorry, he's dealing with all this.

the world has tainted our little boy,
adam from pensacola
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:22 am

Swipe

sabbatical.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:25 am
mr self distrukt

sage, man.
hang in there.
a lot of us truly appreciate what you do.

underground touring schedule = subterranean homesick blues?

lookin forward to seeing your show in milwaukee and chicago.
always do.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:27 am
hugh grants hooker

damn thats a good photo.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:33 am

All I got to say is that I feel you man.....

....I, on a daily basis, get stuff thrown at me (beer bottles, cups filled with soda, jars of peanut butter, and on one rare occasion a full head of lettuce). All because of a passion I fell into at the age of 10 (eight years ago) But I dont have fans, I dont get this from people who pay to see me express myself because people cant pay to see me. This kind of shit happens when Im going from place A to place B while I ride my board. When this happens I just laugh it off. I know that for these simpltons it is in no way possible to fathom nor understand the feeling I get from my obsession. So how am I to expect them to embrace it. Unfortunatley, I must also fight this battle with my parents (with the hail of projectiles omitted). These are the people I grew up with and no matter how hard I try it is impossible to get them to acknowledge the good that has come out of my eight years of so called "wasting my life". However, I know that I very well could be dead without my love, growing up in a predominantly gang related neighborhood. It may be hard for people to immagine this but my passion has saved my life, in one way or another. The truth is, of course, that there will always be people who like or dislike me solely because of passion and those are the people I disregard, because they see nothing more than a material object, not eight years of pain and devotion. Anyways, what im trying to get at is that we all have energy that is potential so when I get negative reactions (or postive for that matter) I use it to my advantage. Every bit of disgust, disrespect, and hate I use as a push, as kenetic energy. This makes me feel a lot better knowing that the very people who waste there time trying to affect the way I see skateboarding in a negative way, push me to do better at it, just as much as the people who respect it. So I give thanks! Hahaha! I do wish I could tell them that they are accomplishing the very opposite of their goal though. (this, in no way, means I want more people to throw things at me). So my peice of advice is no matter what, use respect and/or disrespect to your advantage because if you let it get you down, they have won.

P.S. to any of you fools who think making money for doing what you love is being a sell out. Tell that to your teachers, and anyone else who loves their occupation. I would, in a heartbeat accecpt a pay check for doing something I enjoy doing because in reality, I wouldnt have to work at all.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:40 am
amo1ne

First of all Sage, don't get distrought over some pompous asshole who never even heard of you before until his friend played him "Makeshift Patriot" and decided to check your show. Obviously, he's not a fan nor does he belong at a hiphop concert in the first place.

I agree to some extent that for one reason or another, your music has attracted a lot of extremists who like to be anti-everything and complain about the collapse of society and all kinds of bullshit and percieve you as some sort of icon for their movement because you chose to speak out against the government or war in one song and because you don't eat meat and live a healthy lifestyle. It's ridiculous and annoys me to no avail.

I certainly don't view as anything other than an artist who makes good music and everything else you chose to present comes secondary to that. I've never met you and even if you were the bigest asshole in person (and I know from my interactions with others over these forums, that you're not), you'd still be an artist whose music I respect and that's the only reason people should be checking your shows - to have fun and appreciate your music which we all enjoy.

Don't trip over some asshole who didn't have a clue to begin with. Who the fuck cares if you drive a van or a mack truck? Why should that make any difference, what are you Captain Planet?

Anyways, I just want to say that lots of people appreciate what you do and your honesty and openess with your fans - and no matter what anyone here says, we all are! We post here cause we're fans, we love what you do and want to be a part of it. I'm not sure how many hundreds of people are registered here but these are all people who admire you Sage and appreciate what you do - even if you just do it for yourself because you dig it. We still love it.

As far as touring - nobody likes that. It's bullshit. Preformers do it for the exposure, to touch their fanbase. I'm sure there were nights where you had fun sharing your music with others and I'm sure 90% of the time you'd like nothing more than to wrap it up and head straight home to your rest and not deal with it. After a while you're bound to get sick of people and want to seclude yourself from everyone. That's normal, I know I'd hate that aspect of it if I were in your position as well but consider the benefits.

You make music for a living, what can be greater than that? You make a living off of something that you love and can do it in a way which compromises nothing. You touch people all over the world from the dude that posts here from South Africa to the girl from Australia and so on. You serve music which makes people happy and inspires people to go out and cop your shit cause it feels dope to listen to. That's something you should never overlook, no matter how hard it seems at times. Just be thankfull you're not celeb status, imagine all the shit they deal with everday of their lives.

No matter what there will always be disrespectfull people that'll try to make you feel shitty or get a rise out of you because of who you are. That goes for every musician, artist, poet, performer, singer, writer, painter, dancer, etc that puts themselves out there and exposes themselves and their lifestyles to whoever's open to listen. People are selfish like that. They think everything revolves around them and their cause and aren't able to see what you're really doing but don't let the minority of shitheads kill it for everyone else that appreciates what you do and don't let them ruin it for yourself especially.

Music is not exactly a common practise for the majority of the population trying to earn a living and get by but you obviously chose to pursue it for a reason.. don't forget that. Plus all the success (to whatever degree - reviews, radio spots, being mentioned on cnn, etc) that it's brought as well.

As far as the financial aspects of what you do, I don't think that's anybodies business at all. You don't go up to a doctor and ask him how much he's making, it doesn't matter and fuck anyone who thinks it does. We all need to eat and fuck people who think it's just about that also! If people are satisfied being minimalists than that's just great - who're the fucking hyppocrites now? It's not like your'e Bill Gates and even if you were, GOOD! That's success! People have different tastes and desires and if you're able to live a lifestle that's suiting to your own - great! I've never seen Sage Francis rocking diamond studded chains or mink fur coats.. How you live is nobody else's business. They're lucky you chose to exhibition whatever part of your life you do through your music! Don't pay attention to fools who want to take your dinner away from you, we all have to get paid somehow and to be perfectly honest, I think your doing it in one of the most honest and righteous ways possible. That's what art is about and people that overlook that are too stupid to be listening to a Sage Francis record in the first place.

Hopefully this made you feel a little better, if not - sorry, I tried. Anyways, remember that it's only about what you want it to be about, people that don't resect that aren't inporatant enough for you to stress about.

Btw, have you ever seen the movie Almost Famous? If not rent it. It's not exactly directly relevant to what you're going through but it's a cool ass movie with a dope soundtrack and you might feel similar to the kid who goes on tour and endures all kinds of shit until he realises why he was there in the first place and what he set out to do. It's one of my favorite movies.

Anyways, hope the ankle feels better and hopefully the few past negative experiences won't drive you away from soemthing we all really look up to you and admire you for, unless you're truly not happy. Hope you feel better Sage.

peace.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:42 am
hugh grants hooker

27 wrote:

P.S. to any of you fools who think making money for doing what you love is being a sell out. Tell that to your teachers, and anyone else who loves their occupation. I would, in a heartbeat accecpt a pay check for doing something I enjoy doing because in reality, I wouldnt have to work at all.

people have a way of turning it into work for you. no matter what you do for a living, you still depend on money and people.
money = stress.
people = much more stress.

sorry, i will stop replying in this topic now.

adam from pensacola
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:45 am

amo1ne

[quote="hugh grants hooker"]
27 wrote:
money = stress.
people = much more stress.

money isnt stress, money relieves stress. money gives you the power to do whatever the fuck you want and live confident knowing that you don't have to worry. fuck that, make as much money as you can and be proud of your success. people that diss out cats who get paid are dummies. im not directing this to hooker, im just saying. the majority of society who are rich are rich for a reason, they worked hard for it. most people who are not as fortunate are either working to change that or are lazy and would rather complain about it and hate other people who are motivated to achieve.

as far as people, they can be stressful. especially when dealing with crowds of strangers that expect so much from you but the people who matter most are the people you can always depend on to relieve that stress. thats the important thing to remember.

peace.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:52 am
Reggie

But I do know one thing, though
Convictions, they come, they go
Saturday through Sunday, Monday
Monday through Sunday, yo

"Convictions create convicts." - Rev. Omar (RIP)
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:06 am
Random Sample

Yo sage don't let a bunch of pricks get you down. I've seen you live a handful of times and it is always dope. I will knock out fools for heckling in pittsburgh if you want me to on march 4th. Keep on doing your thing and don't let these punk asses get you down.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:13 am
hugh grants hooker

amo1ne --- you condensed my shit down to the point that it seems as if i'm dissing him for making money. thats not cool man.

money does equal stress.
its responsible for almost ALL my stress.
car payment is due, cable bill is due, phone bill is due, insurance is due, i need food, .... where the fuck am i gonna get the money?

thats what i meant. and yes... its stress based on money.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:13 am

amo1ne

hugh grants hooker wrote:
amo1ne --- you condensed my shit down to the point that it seems as if i'm dissing him for making money. thats not cool man.

no i didnt. i said it wasnt directed at you. stress should never be about money, unless you dont have enough of it..
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:17 am
bobbythebear

Re: I'm not liking this life.  Reply with quote  

[quote="Sage Francis"]Depression strikes.

"sage, i am a twenty-six year old male form boston who has recently relocated to montana to get as far away from pricks like you as possible. i am against invading iraq, for the obvious reasons.

you said something about well constructed, right? twenty-six years old, all the obvious reasons . . . if thats the worst criticsm you get Sagey, expect time magazine to nominate you for man of the year. we love you, we want more Sage, even when we get too much sage. good luck, dont work too hard
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:20 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next