Search
Register
HTDD Finally gets 5 stars(crowns)..Thanks to Hip Hop Kings!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

timmyprinz

HTDD Finally gets 5 stars(crowns)..Thanks to Hip Hop Kings!  Reply with quote  

Well sage finally somebody is giving your album 5 stars, well 5 out of 5 crowns (same difference) unless they decide to take one crown back.;)

http://www.hip-hopkings.com/reviews/index.php?news_id=84&start=0&category_id=&parent_id=0&arcyear=&arcmonth=

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sage Francis - Human The Death Dance
Posted on April 24, 2007

Sage Francis can be counted on for bringing something fresh to the ears of the underground, and the same could be said for his latest album “Human The Death Dance”. As metaphoric as always, Sage release's his third album, following the success of “A Healthy Distrust” and “Personal Journals”. The Epitaph artist took the name from his fellow artist Buddy Wakefield, as it's the name of one of one of his poems. Fans of Sage Francis had every right to be excited, as the album leaked onto the Internet early March, and myself for one have had the album on constant repeat.

Deciphering and understanding the extraordinary style of Sage Francis has become a hobby amongst fans, as his metaphoric and cryptic style has intrigued lyricists and writers respectively across the globe. His quite frankly strange interlude “Broccilude” and short songs such as “Good Fashion” and “Water Line” can be interpreted in so many different ways. Regardless of the “real” meaning, Sage proves his ability to flow fantastically over a variety of beats, and certainly conger up some phenomenal lyrics.

Human The Death Dance is Sage at his typically best. With hints and reminders of PJ and AHD integrated into several songs, Sage still has the uniqueness that we love, and proves to throw out classic after classic. Songs such as “Black Out On White Night” and “Underground For Dummies” set the stage for another five-star album. The playability never fades, as the contrasting artist mixes a range of beats and sounds, to produce a true musical album. The production team must be applauded, as the likes of Mr Cooper, Buck 65 and Reanimator amongst others, have delivered beats that are ahead of this generation. The ability to fit the music to the theme of the track is one of the reason we love Sage Francis so much.

Human The Death Dance, like the previous two albums, is full of contradiction and opposites. None other than “Midgets and Giants” represent this statement to the fullest, as the thought-provoking verses and irritably catchy hook make this song a highlight of the album. “Keep Moving” is a song on a similar wavelength, contributing to the overall quality of the album.

“I'm moving, I go from house to house /
I stay committed like one foot in, one foot out”.
I bounce, yeah I'm leaving this place /
Divorce papers falling the fuck outta' my briefcase”.

The hardest part of the evaluation was deciding whether “Human The Death Dance” is really five-crown quality. Did it surpass the expectations, previously set by Personal Journals and A Healthy Distrust? It's guaranteed to be better than 95% of the releases of 2007, but was this album IMPORTANT to Hip-Hop? The likes of Food and Liquor and The Undisputed Truth were certainty important, so does Human The Death Dance equal that label? After weeks of deliberating, I brought it upon myself to make a decision. Sage Francis' intentions were successfully accomplished. Fans and critiques will be attempting to understand the album for years to come, unless they have the privilege of withdrawing the explanation from Sage himself. That alone is something only Sage Francis can do, and why he fully deserves the 5 Crown Rating.

Hip-Hop Kings Rating: 5 out of 5 Crowns

Written By Ryan Maxwell
Post Fri May 11, 2007 11:24 pm
jehu

awesome review. thanks for posting.
Post Sat May 12, 2007 12:39 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Neener neener, we got the priveledge of withdrawing the explanation from Sage himself.
Post Sat May 12, 2007 6:16 am
jstile

Quote:

conger up some phenomenal lyrics.

haha. conger.
Post Sat May 12, 2007 6:29 am

Jump to: