Register
interview with Africasgateway.com on 2/14/03
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

interview with Africasgateway.com on 2/14/03  Reply with quote  

Interview with Sage Francis

1. Sage francis non-prophets wellcome to africasgateway whats up man?

I am in Hollywood at the moment. They are filming a movie on the street I am currently staying at. I am on a tour and things are going well.

2.You're from Rhode Island right whats the hip hop scene out there cos i havent heard from cats until i heard from you?

The hiphop scene is as diverse as the state itself. Many different styles and subject matter coming from different kinds of people. My music certainly isn't representative of our hiphop scene on a whole. You've got battle rappers, thug rappers, artfag rappers, poets, criminals, and whatever other variation you can think of.

3.Scribble jam fuck man i swear that shit was written that you spat man you chopped competition what was that like?

If it was written I wouldn't have sounded like a such a slop monster. Thanks for the compliment, but I don't really agree with your sentiment. Scribble Jam doesn't result in the best of battles. Something about the whole set up and the amount of time that it takes before the battle starts really isn't condusive to top notch battles.

4.What cats was Sage feeling growing up?

Public Enemy, KRS One, Rakim, Slick Rick, Ice T, Geto Boys, NYA, De La Soul, Beatie Boys, Big Daddy Kane, LL Cool J, Special Ed, Fu Schnickens. The list goes on and on.

5.The name Sage why did you decided to use that as your performance name cos you got all these young kids today wanting to use these crazy pseudonyms?

"Sage" was a cool 4 letter word to me. I liked the way it sounded. That's really all there is to it. An ex-girlfriend of mine called me a sage once and it stuck with me. I tacked on the "Francis" part to make it seem more humble. haa.

6.Man your style is so unique i mean you do poetry,battling,written shit what would you define your style as?

My style is flexible and darting.

7.I heard you went to London last year what was the people's response like over there?

The people in London are very attentive. They LISTEN. You can see them in the crowd TRYING to hear what the speaker is saying. It's impressive but also hard to vibe off of because they are a bit reserved. I enjoy it though. They are hardcore fans of lyrics out there.

8.When you think of South Africa what pops up in your head?

Apartheid.

9.Makeshift patriot. how was that track conceived man?

9/11 rocked our world. It melted my insides. the bi-products of 9/11 (such as an abundance of sensationalist media, fascism and blind patriotism) began effecting my every thought. I needed to speak up and help people question what was happening around them. It was written, recorded and released one month after 9/11, which was a time of "Love it or leave it" sentiment. I'm more of a "change it or lose it" type of guy.

10.Right now while we talking about your future we know Bush is plotting to create another war whats your view on this?

I am as disturbed as any other rational being. It is sick.

11.Whats happening right now you busy with any new music?

I just finished the Non-Prophets album with Joe Beats. it is called HOPE and it is my next big project. it will probably be out in 4 or 5 months. I also shared a project with Buck 65 and DJ Signify called Sleep No More. I don't know the status on that album.

12.Thanks for doing the interview with me any final shoutouts?

Bill O'Brien is my ex-landlord and he really fucked me good for 6 months. It is upsetting that someone in his position can be as neglectful as he is and get away with it. Be expecting some Public Housing Authority intervention soon my friend.
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:01 pm
jehu

nice...  Reply with quote  

Quote:

12.Thanks for doing the interview with me any final shoutouts?

Bill O'Brien is my ex-landlord and he really fucked me good for 6 months. It is upsetting that someone in his position can be as neglectful as he is and get away with it. Be expecting some Public Housing Authority intervention soon my friend.

been there... it fuckin sucks the way the work people over.

nice interview.

Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:23 pm
Still Sick

i liked the interview. cant wait for HOPE, and i know that buck 65 collabo is gonna be craziness
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:44 pm
Moolah

Nice  Reply with quote  

3.Scribble jam fuck man i swear that shit was written that you spat man you chopped competition what was that like?

That has to be the funniest question I've ever heard.
Post Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:35 pm
Karma Soother

Location: Johannesburg Jungle Concrete Block '79, South Africa

Hey dude... nice interview... Im from South Africa myself and
I been vibin off Sage for a little bit now...

Yeah... its kinda weird.. the peeps at africangateway are some real
grand prix sometimes, but kudos on the recent Necro and now
Sage interview...

So what it iz Sage? What are the chances of you hitting the African
shores sometime... Dont worry South Africa's over that whole Apartheid
stuff... we got 'nuff retarded space-goats and bling backpackers here
that need to hear your material..

Sorry for not buying none of your material cause the music
stores dont stack it over here. Thus, I've indulged in the honourable thing
and downloaded the tracks that I feel...

fave tracks so far...
Narcissist, Majority Rule, Runaways and that freestyle u had with
Apathy was sick....

yes, this is my 1st post... I just like 2 lay back in the cut and watch
mostly...
Post Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:08 am

Jump to: