Search
Register
BLACK ANGER ---WHITE GUILT
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Propane

BLACK ANGER ---WHITE GUILT  Reply with quote  

this was not meant to offend anyone.but it is a black and white thing and many people might take it the wrong way. i know a lot will ignore it.

u as a blacks,do u still feel the anger of the shit that the whites has done to u or your grandfathers/mothers in the past. and u as whites do u still live with the guilt of what the other whites did to blacks in the past.

i happen to feel that both parties are disturbed somewhere when a black and white discussion arises espicially of things that happened in the past. cos at times blacks feel robbed and so making whites to feel like they don't deserve what they have. but the point is u.....and how does all this make u feel.
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:34 am
SergOne

i don't think black anger is just about how someones grandparents were treated, its about how your parents are treated, how your brothers and sisters are treated, and how you are treated in this society. racism is alive and well right now
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:39 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Propane

but blacks also seem to be racist in other situations then it goes unnoticed.
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:41 am
Jesse

Hmm it's interesting that you're asking this question as an african. I wouldn't have asked outside of this topic of discussion, but are you black or white yourself? Have you ever lived in America (including Canada* here), and in either case, what's your perspective on race relations over here versus where you live?

Personally, speaking as a white person in America (specifically, Canada*), I do not feel any guilt or culpability for anything in the world that I did not in some way effect or affect. However, I do feel a responsibility as a human being to promote positive change for the lives of other people who are in diminished circumstances, whether it's because of historical opression or just plain personal bad luck.

Just because I'm sorry doesn't mean I'm apologizing. Get it?

*America does not mean the USA, so don't think I'm diminishing my country that way. America is a big place. We're both part of it.
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:44 am
Jesse

Also, I don't believe it does go unnoticed. Minister Louis Farrahan, for example, is widely reviled by mainstream north american society as a virulent black supremacist.

Whether this is the case or not, it's the public perception.
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:45 am
nickgaede

i don't feel guilty for what i haven't done, but i do feel pissed off about what white men such as myself have done in the past, and also the responsibility to make things right and fair for everyone
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:48 am
quasifoto

i had a couple of black friends, but they moved to hollywood. so now pretty much all my friends are white, and they're the only people i can judge. and i think so many white people are still fucked up in there head towards other races. it's caused me to cut off a lot of former friends, because it kinda shows who you are.

as for your question about how i feel about my past relatives? i have no guilt whatsoever. i'm me. not them. i would never ever have had anything to do with oppression. i have no guilt for my meat eating parents even though i'm a vegan. i can only control me and try to influence those around me.

i recently had a aquantance argue against affirmative action and how would i feel if my child didn't get into a college because of it? it really pissed me off. i'd just look for another college. the point is people look at things from such a selfish point of view and can't get past that. america in 2003 should be way past any racism. should.
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:28 pm
futuristxen

when i was a kid growing up I didn't understand racism at all...fortunately I moved to a small town in southwest missouri and got my education. A lot of people in this town were just completely ignorant. Some of my best friends ended up going to college in arkansas and have picked up some slight racist things just because of how their new enviroment works.

I still remember one of my friends who is black came to visit me one summer and stayed for a couple weeks at my house, and everytime we'd go somewhere in town you could just look at all of the people staring at him and saying stupid things to him...fortunately we both just decided to take the opportunity to make a game of it and mess with as many idiots as we could.

I think things are better maybe for the most part than they were, but there are still large pockets of the population who are complete racist fucks.

This actually works on both sides. When I visited this same friend there were parts of the town(Tulsa) where it wouldn't have been really safe for me to be, but it would have been fine for him. Like we were driving by a gym and my friends dad was telling me about how their were some people in there that would kill me as soon as look at me.

This of course is in no small part due to some perversely racist/inhumane things in Tulsa's history towards black people.

I think so long as there are no major steps backwards in the next few generations, our grandchildren's children might be able to be totally free of racism(at least towards black people--however there is a growing backlash against hispanics and obviously anyone that looks like a terrorist--which isn't going to help people).
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:53 pm
Dee

futuristxen wrote:

I think so long as there are no major steps backwards in the next few generations, our grandchildren's children might be able to be totally free of racism(at least towards black people--however there is a growing backlash against hispanics and obviously anyone that looks like a terrorist--which isn't going to help people).

I would question that....I really don't see that happening, to be honest.
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:04 pm
Mr Ass

I hate the white man :evil:
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:17 pm

I hate the white man :evil:
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:18 pm

Jesse

quasi> "Affirmative Action" is technically racist.
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:24 pm
SoundDoctrine

Let's get somebody of color on this topic...

The thing is ALOT of blacks still hold racism...There is a difference between looking to encourage a race and its state and being racist...Racism is looking down on ANY other RACE...Not a person, a race...I feel that alot of blacks today have this subtle approach toward white americans that includes hints of racism...It still bugs me that blacks feel the need to make a BLACK ENTERTAINMENT channel and BLACK ENTERTAINMENT magazine and more which closes the circle of other races approaching the medium...It is fine for things to be guided toward african-american culture, but DON'T put BLACK in the name which closes off an "outside" audience...Let's face it MTV is a white suburban youth based network...But it's not called WSTV...I think there's alot in the name...

I also feel that blacks feel justified for their turning a nose at whites because of what happened hundreds of years ago...Or perhaps they have encountered racism within their life and have become bitter...There is no justification in racism...Often black supremacy and anti-white views are subtle and are masked with faces of "becomming equal"...The approach is all wrong...I could go on for days...

And as for whites...It's still VERY prevalent...I can be in my most cheerful state and in my most approachable attire walking through the mall and a white woman will grab her kids hand and clutch her purse...It hurts...I won't even get into the other more EXTREME forms of racism I have come across...White racism is typically justified through a level of "tolerance"..."I'm not racist, I have co-workers who are black...I hired a black woman, I can't be racist!"...My friend's mom has made some NASTY food and I have swallowed it but didn't like it, I even had a smile on my face...

Through all this I still am able to find friends who see things the way I do...Sometimes a white friend of mine will show some unknowingly racist thoughts, we are friends enough to call it out to each other...Sometimes I do so much bashing on blacks he asks me if I'm racist against blacks...I just get frustrated in this habit we put ourselves in as we pont fingers and create foolishness to make our race feel on it's "rise"...There is alot to be done esotericly rather than make all the white people change...

Comments...
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:24 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dee

SoundDoctrine wrote:
Let's get somebody of color on this topic...

The thing is ALOT of blacks still hold racism...There is a difference between looking to encourage a race and its state and being racist...Racism is looking down on ANY other RACE...Not a person, a race...I feel that alot of blacks today have this subtle approach toward white americans that includes hints of racism...It still bugs me that blacks feel the need to make a BLACK ENTERTAINMENT channel and BLACK ENTERTAINMENT magazine and more which closes the circle of other races approaching the medium...It is fine for things to be guided toward african-american culture, but DON'T put BLACK in the name which closes off an "outside" audience...Let's face it MTV is a white suburban youth based network...But it's not called WSTV...I think there's alot in the name...

I also feel that blacks feel justified for their turning a nose at whites because of what happened hundreds of years ago...Or perhaps they have encountered racism within their life and have become bitter...There is no justification in racism...Often black supremacy and anti-white views are subtle and are masked with faces of "becomming equal"...The approach is all wrong...I could go on for days...

And as for whites...It's still VERY prevalent...I can be in my most cheerful state and in my most approachable attire walking through the mall and a white woman will grab her kids hand and clutch her purse...It hurts...I won't even get into the other more EXTREME forms of racism I have come across...White racism is typically justified through a level of "tolerance"..."I'm not racist, I have co-workers who are black...I hired a black woman, I can't be racist!"...My friend's mom has made some NASTY food and I have swallowed it but didn't like it, I even had a smile on my face...

Through all this I still am able to find friends who see things the way I do...Sometimes a white friend of mine will show some unknowingly racist thoughts, we are friends enough to call it out to each other...Sometimes I do so much bashing on blacks he asks me if I'm racist against blacks...I just get frustrated in this habit we put ourselves in as we pont fingers and create foolishness to make our race feel on it's "rise"...There is alot to be done esotericly rather than make all the white people change...

Comments...

Black Entertainment television isn't made just for blacks...so I disagree. I don't mind BET because it caters to EVERYone. Oxygen network, on the other hand (and lifetime as well) are made SOLELY for women...I disagree with that process, because it walls everyone off from each other.
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:33 pm
Jesse

I'm feeling you SD
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:34 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next