Search
Register
50 Cent analysis.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

sleeklegend

50 Cent analysis.  Reply with quote  

Let me say before I start this, that this man is brilliant. No, beyond brilliant. Even now, I can envision this philosopher hulking over his tattered parchment, furiously scribbling his ingenious social commentaries with an 18th century quill...only to lean back with a pipe lazily from his hand, puffing upon the smoke and inhaling his freshly born words, welcoming them upon this world, which is a better place for it. We could analyze any song, but today I would like to share with you 50 cent's extremely advanced lyrical verse as he duets with Eminem on "Patiently waiting".

"I'm innocent in my head...like a baby born dead....destination heaven"

Ah, a throwback to Locke's theory on tabula rosa, stating that when born, human beings have no inherent qualities, but are as "blank pages", their impressionability ready to mold into a personality of some sort. However, if the baby is born dead, 50 has concluded, that perhaps the baby epitomized the ultimate innocence, as he did not even get to experience life...CLEARLY mocking Locke's theory. With the "heaven" reference, he satirizes Christianity...asking, why did the baby die, if just to go to heaven? He is innocent. Don't let the baby die. He also states within this beautiful metaphor, that inside his HEAD, he considers himself innocent, despite the actions his body might commit...a sort of yielding of responsibility from the mental realm to the physical realm...saying "That wasn't me, that was my body"...contrasting against the Christian that the body should be someone's temple...clearly, 50 is challenging our own beliefs, and asking us to question.

"God's the seamstress that tailor fitted my pain...I got scriptures in my brain, I can spit at your dame"

Wow....what to say? God is tailor fitting 50 his pain, he is plotting out his entire life for him....so here, 50 says, no tabula rosa, stupid Locke. It's all planned out; lady Fate is fucking with us all. God specifically created a suit of pain for 50 to wear, and 50 shows his attitude as accepting the responsibility, understanding the purpose of pain as a means to emerge a better person. He has scriptures in his brain...as the tailor weaves the cloth for his pain, these scriptures are WOVEN into the fabric of his consciousness...he is referring to Christian fundamentalists who use their own intentionality to interpret Bible passages, clearly. Look at me, I have scriptures in my brain...but where are they supposed to be? The heart, 50 is implying...when he says he can spit at your dame, he not only means seducing your girlfriend/wife. He is talking of literally spitting at women, satirizing our society's sometimes blatant misogyny.

"In this white man's world, I'm similar to squirrel...looking for a slut with a nice butt to get a nut..."

50 effortlessly shows off his brilliance within these bars. In this white man's world...the white man's burden was a classic novel written by Kipling, who also "coincidentally" wrote Jungle Book...in this manner, the squirrel often comes in brown/black coats...inferior to the white man. In this manner, he talks of the sexual promiscuity of slaves on plantations as a result of them not being able to obtain equality...saying that all he can do is "get a nut" (double entendre)...helpless.....like a squirrel.

Quote of the Year:

"They say you shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house, and if you got a glass jaw, you should watch your mouth, cuz I'll BREAK YOUR FACE"

Oh. My. Lord. Okay, so he takes the simplistic message of a regular parable...but goddamn if 50 cent doesn't apply his meticulous talent to elevate this elementary metaphor higher. Ok, so if you are considered a role model to others, you should attempt to be one. However, 50 poses the question back at us, asking...fine, if I'm a role model, why don't you try being in my shoes? "If you have a glass jaw"...50 is known to swear, as parents wouldn't approve. 50 is asking these parents, have you ever cursed? If you have a glass jaw, with which to see your own blasphemous words spewing out...then you should watch your own mouth. As if this wasn't enough layering, 50 then adds another...not only to "watch your mouth" in front of the kids"...but "watch your mouth", because he might come over and break it. After hearing these lines, I was convinced that 50 cent indeed is a rap prophet...possibly a religious one, as well...considering theres another track on his album called "Gotta Get to Heaven".

But if titles like "P.I.M.P", "In Da Club", "High all the Time", and "Doin' My Own Thing", don't indicate genius...then my friend, I question your artistic taste. My friend told me the other day that they call him 50 cent because that's what his album is going to be worth in a couple of years. After I assaulted him, I learned something special. That really, it doesn't matter if other people see in 50 the philosophizing, articulate man that I see. They just are missing the point. And so, I close, with a quote from the man himself:

"I'm the greatest...something like Ali in his prime"

Yes, you are.
Post Mon Feb 10, 2003 7:53 pm
Jesse

(a) so what you're saying is YOU HATE RAP?

(b) tabula RASA. It's BLANK slate, not PINK slate.
Post Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:00 pm
sleeklegend

Jesse wrote:
(a) so what you're saying is YOU HATE RAP?

(b) tabula RASA. It's BLANK slate, not PINK slate.

a) No.

b) Ah...I thought I had it wrong
Post Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:04 pm
Jesse

So what's with the 50 Cent = genius straw man barbecue? He's just a guy who raps, like the way guys who rapped have always rapped. He's pretty good at it. Who ever called him a genius? Why so worked up?
Post Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:08 pm
Shylax

Haha,

Nice.

But seriously, why does 50 bug people? He's just doing him.

My personal analysis, he was much better in the "How to Rob" days. Now he's about getting paid. He laced mixtapes, became a hot property, latched on to the biggest star in the industry and now is getting paid. I'm not hating. Is he great? no. Is he good? At making catchy hooks but that's about it. But he's entertaining.
Post Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:11 pm
asexualdrone

geniuses are people that can rap as good as poems like the raven always, 50 cent is not a genius
Post Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:11 pm
Shylax

Geniuses don't rap....period
Post Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:15 pm
Jesse

www.mchawking.com

you are sooooooo wrong
Post Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:17 pm
Sarcastro

Genius is sleeklegend

that was amazing and he should become 50's P.R. man just so he can defend any tracks people have a problem with.
Post Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:20 pm
Shylax

^Bwahahahaha :lol:
Post Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:20 pm
Shylax

^^^^

At Jesse, not Sarcastro...

Your's gets a chuckle
Post Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:22 pm
sleeklegend

Jesse wrote:
So what's with the 50 Cent = genius straw man barbecue? He's just a guy who raps, like the way guys who rapped have always rapped. He's pretty good at it. Who ever called him a genius? Why so worked up?

Haha, I'm not worked up at all, man.

I just think doing formal analyses of rap songs can be pretty amusing.
Post Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:39 pm
sleeklegend

but I do find 50's lyrics pretty awful, for the most part
Post Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:40 pm
Dee

They aren't awful...I'd say lyrically he's average. His strength comes in his charisma.

But hey, if you don't get it, you don't get it.
Post Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:40 pm
Still Sick

haha that was truly funny, but damn u mustve spent forever typin that shit
Post Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:54 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next