New jack.

they think that i'm a new jack
but only if they knew that
they who think wrong, are they who can't do that
style that i'm doin'
Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:05 pm
PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG
the godfather of troll

right when Makeshift Patriot was released..I listened and thought wow and ok lets see if this guy is a one song wonder so I downloaded about 25 songs and most of them were tape quality the 2nd song I heard was called "crack pipes in pittsburgh" a live recording of the song and at the beginning he says this song is off my new album coming out on Anticon
then I heard the rewrite and got the chills..then I recorded all the songs on shitty tape quality onto a CD ..then didnt listen for awhile popped it back in about a month later and discovered I apologize, Respect the Brocolli Cock and ironically try your best which was discussed today because I liked the pink panther sounding sample...didnt know shit about dude then a few months later he came to town without a hype man and typical hip hop show cliches and I was hooked..long winded but whateva
Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:06 pm
DM

T-Wrex wrote:
DM wrote:
Alias@anticon.com wrote:
to hold the mic like a grudge.....

I like that.

New jack.

Ha! I just told my roomate that and she said the exact same thing.

I'm getting pwned everywhere I turn.

Last edited by DM on Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:07 pm
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

Alias@anticon.com wrote:
I told him about Deep Puddle Dynamics, but he seemed uninterested.......

I kind of think that Sage involvement in Deep Puddle Dynamics would have been either fucking brilliant, or really, really, really, out of place.
Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:08 pm
RapCat

breakreep wrote:
Alias@anticon.com wrote:

I kind of think that Sage involvement in Deep Puddle Dynamics would have been either fucking brilliant, or really, really, really, out of place.

If he was a substitute for Dose then it would have been brillant...

Sorry Dose fans.. but I can't get down, except for hemispheres... that was dope...
Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:22 pm
selfportrait

Wow, some of you guys go way back before Sage got his first album out, mad respect to ya'll.
Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:27 pm
Captiv8

Hiphopinfinity turned me on to Mr. Francis with Personal Journals, so yeah, Crack Pipes.
Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:36 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

DM wrote:
oops...

it's ok... i'm 27. i grew up with rakim.
Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:36 pm
Jared Paul

Deciples of Discipline.
Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:40 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Alias@anticon.com

RapCat wrote:
breakreep wrote:
Alias@anticon.com wrote:

If he was a substitute for Dose then it would have been brillant...

Sorry Dose fans.. but I can't get down, except for hemispheres... that was dope...

let's not turn this into a "what-if" or "Sage is better than Dose" thread....Sage is best as his own thang if you ask me.....and comparing Sage and Dose is like comparing apples and MPC2000XL's......two different things, but both incredibly awesome....
Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:47 pm
DM

T-Wrex wrote:
DM wrote:
oops...

it's ok... i'm 27. i grew up with rakim.

The oops was for the double post. I'm 27 too, but grew up listening to EPMD, Slick Rick and BDP.

Not that I don't appreciate the hell out of The R.
Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:48 pm
Mark in Minnesota

A few years back, I was working a lot of night shifts, in a job where I found myself alone in a rather large office building. Because I didn't take my job very seriously at the time, I spent a lot of hours listening to music and fucking around on the Internet instead of finding ways to challenge myself at work.

Livejournal was still a fairly new thing to me at the time, and someone had recommended that I go back and read the entire journal of somebody named 'eraserhed'. I somehow got my wires crossed and instead read the entire journal of somebody named 'e9ine'. It was a fairly unmemorable journal, except for the fact that he wrote a lot about music he liked, and a lot of it was music I was just getting into.

A co-worker had recommended Atmosphere and Eyedea to me about a year earlier, after he and I talked about Soundbombing, the Wake-Up Show, and Jurassic 5. When I first read e9ine's journal, I had heard a bunch of Rhymesayers stuff, and was looking for other stuff that sounded similar. e9ine talked a bit about Atmosphere in his journal, but a lot more about Anticon, Deep Puddle Dynamics, and Sage Francis. I was frequenting Fifth Element fairly heavily at the time -- spent maybe $1000 there over the course of two or three months, trying to educate myself on certain corners of hip-hop music that had very little to do with what I was hearing on the radio and seeing on MTV. Because of e9ine's journal, The Taste of Rain... Why Kneel?, the cLOUDDEAD album, and a few other assorted things from Anticon all made it onto my shopping list.

Around the same time (mid-2003), I saw an album review of Personal Journals on hiphopsite.com's "In the Deck" section. Read the review, and on the basis of that and of Sage's name in e9ine's journal, I went looking for Makeshift Patriot, not understanding that it wasn't an album of its own. I found Personal Journals instead. My first Sage song? Crack Pipes, the first track on an album I bought knowing essentially nothing about the artist or his sound, other than that somebody I had never met liked his music. Turned out to be the right choice anyway, and indirectly the end of my unfocused buying spree at Fifth Element. I liked what I heard, bought up all the Sick Of... stuff, and a lot of the references on those discs ended up being exactly the education I had been looking for. I never stopped shopping at Fifth Element, but over time my purchases became much less random, a little better-researched. I saw Style Wars because I heard Mullet, for example.

Slug has talked in a couple of interviews about how he sees Atmosphere as a gateway drug, turning listeners onto other more "serious" rappers. I get what he means by that, but for me the more interesting experience was the one I had through Sage Francis. His music helped encourage me to spend some time trying to learn about what hip-hop was actually about, but at the same time has really helped to push me away from rap. Joey Beats, Jolie Holland, Bonnie Prince Billy, Reanimator, Emancipator, Corrina Bain & Tom Inhaler, Saul Williams, Buddy Wakefield, Jared Paul. All stuff I wouldn't know about if not for Sage Francis, all stuff that has occupied a significant percentage of my listening time over the last year or two, and none of it has a lot to do with rap. Hell, I would have missed the Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man CD if it hadn't been for Sage's plug of it on this forum. And yet, in spite of all the doors that hearing Sage's music opened in my interests, I'm pretty sure he only ever turned me on to one actual rapper: Mac Lethal.

Writing all of this, here on this forum, it's sort of funny to think about how the main way I connect with all this music is as a consumer.
Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:15 pm
Camorra

wait . . . sage who? I thought this was a forum for Mase's new project -- The Pat Robertson Franchisei?? Oh shit. I need to check out this Sage Francis guy.
Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:16 pm
KTA

AOI - Morning Aftermath . . . .live recording. 99? 00? Somewhere in there.
Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:20 am
Bob_ptmfus

I think Makeshift Patriot in 2002 or 2003. I found hiphopinfinity.com when they were really going nuts about Sage (more so than other times), and eventually got to downloading this song. I also searched emceebattles.com for all of his appearences. Eventually, Epitaph.com put up "Damage" and promoted for the non-prophets record. I liked it and bought the cd when it came out and have been a full-fledged fan since then.
Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:11 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next