Search
Register
Religion as Philosophy
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Lintilla

Quote:

It was no personal attack,
telling me to take my mind off myself and my small world wasn't a personal attack? im sorrry but yes it was. it has nothing to do with any argument, its just a character assault.

No need to get upset. If you took it as an insult, I apologize, it was not intended as an insult, I explained that in my last answer.

Quote:

, you thinking them wrong doesn't make them necessarily wrong.
did I say they were all wrong? more so did I say they were objectivly wrong?

Exactly my point. : )

Quote:

yeah yeah, we have dealt with this a lot in philosophy. But I am NOT going where you are going. You are claiming that because we can't know anything 100% then all things are religions? Is this really what you believe? do you think history is a religion?

Yes, I do to a certain point, at least where it gets blurry and research is based on an interpretation of a person. Most early history is based on subjective theories. How do we know for sure that the big bang really did happen (just an example, you don't need to answer)?
I honestly do believe that only through questioning established "facts" and running through life with open eyes will lead to progress. Who knows maybe in a few hundred years people will look at our believes right now and sneer because we were as far from their belief system as early humanity was with the theory of the earth being a disc.

Quote:

yes... but you must put forward arguments and back up your claims. I mean you can say "oh X is true" without backing it up and run away from discussion if you want, but this is not very productive.

Define productivity. A discussion in itself is not productive, as it is "futile" unless you see that a discussion is nothing else than an exchange of views of different people which will lead to a broader horizon in a good case. There is no end-result / product in my eyes.
I do think I have brought as much back-up to my point of view as most other people can, or do you know anyone who can prove to me that Science, Religion or Philosophy is righter than my own theory?
Post Sun Feb 02, 2003 9:42 pm
MessiahCarey

Re: Blashphemy  Reply with quote  

Hiphopapotamus wrote:
To say you are God is really egotistical.

Is assuming that if there is someone as omnipotent as God he cares about us any less egotistical?
Post Mon Feb 03, 2003 12:17 am
FUCKTHEWARgirl

You guys know how to run with an intellectual debate lemme tellya

i can smell your gears turning

sssshmells lak chikken

It's all metacognition. The more you think about why you think what you think about how you're thinking, the more you think about it. Sometimes mouths get in the way and start talking, or the hands start typing.

I was raised in a Quaker/Wiccan household. You can imagine the good Christians just pounding away at our door with the pitchforks. Every goddamn weekend.

Now i like to read the scriptures of Sociologists and Psychologists. Until the models of logic intertwine in my head and strangle each other with conflicting truths about the human condition.

A little Sundance channel and call it a night.
Post Mon Feb 03, 2003 12:35 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
August Spies

Lin:
I was not offended. I just feel that you were trying to use a character assault to promote your point of view. Honsetly, im not sure what you are trying to say in your last post. What does it have to do with what I was saying?

do you know anyone who can prove to me that Science, Religion or Philosophy is righter than my own theory?

??? I never said either of those three things was more right or wrong than another. I merely argued they were DIFFERENT things.
Post Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:34 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Patrick

religion and philosophy  Reply with quote  

completely different, one claims to know THE truth, the other conducts research to find truths....

the debate then turned to christianity, and God and what not...I'll say this:

Jesus wasn't religious..Confuscious wasn't religious....Mohammed wasn't relgious...what am I getting at.

These people were out there helping other people, that's how they grew and matured...yes they taught how to pray, and meditate, but that wasn't their sole purpose, they were also bumping elbows with the poor...attempting to heal the sick, even raising the dead....true religion doesn't exist, except to classify who you call Lord.

I for one turn to Jesus...

P A T
Post Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:33 am
August Spies

Jesus wasn't religious..Confuscious wasn't religious....Mohammed wasn't relgious...what am I getting at.

uh....
Confucsism is a philosophy more than a religion, its always been considered that.

Mohammed was most definitly religious. He justified his wars by saying God spoke to him in a cave

Jesus... we have no historical record of jesus except in the bible. If any of that is true, id say talking to god and fighting with the devil in desert counts as being religious.
Post Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:20 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4