Search
Register
You indie kids make me sick...
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

weedy420

beautifully said my friend, i call you my friend now for the beautiful does of truth
Post Fri Jan 31, 2003 2:46 pm

infidelone
CAVE TROLL

I think what Reggie was saying is that you'd have to be a youngin to still be concerned with the conflict that exists between mainstream culture and non-mainstream culture.

What is real and what is not. What is punk and what is hip hop. These are not interesting topics after a few hundred thousand times around them.

Counter culture eats itself. That is the damn point. That is why experienced artists attempt to distance themselves from the silly categories that will crush them when they (the sub genres) fall. There is always a cool, well intended movement that starts up and is hip as horn rims in 99, and then bamm--it catches fire and kids jump on like mad. Then it starts to feel a little crowded and no longer carries the underground weight that it once did and kids jump ship (this already started happening to Nirvana by the time In Utero was released) or they stay true to what they dig in the first place (which is dope shit) and just incorporate new shit as they go along.

Talking trash on scensters is as bad as being a scenster. It's also terribly fucking boring.
Post Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:36 pm
Reggie

infidelone wrote:
I think what Reggie was saying is that you'd have to be a youngin to still be concerned with the conflict that exists between mainstream culture and non-mainstream culture.

What is real and what is not. What is punk and what is hip hop. These are not interesting topics after a few hundred thousand times around them.

Counter culture eats itself. That is the damn point. That is why experienced artists attempt to distance themselves from the silly categories that will crush them when they (the sub genres) fall. There is always a cool, well intended movement that starts up and is hip as horn rims in 99, and then bamm--it catches fire and kids jump on like mad. Then it starts to feel a little crowded and no longer carries the underground weight that it once did and kids jump ship (this already started happening to Nirvana by the time In Utero was released) or they stay true to what they dig in the first place (which is dope shit) and just incorporate new shit as they go along.

Talking trash on scensters is as bad as being a scenster. It's also terribly fucking boring.

Well, yeah. I wasn't going to get into it, but this is exactly the point.

I mean, you're crying over some kid's glasses and t-shirt and smarmy demeanor--your demeanor being no less smarmy--essentially proving that you harbor the same elitist attitudes that you accuse "them" of.

I wasted a lot of my youth decrying pointless shit that doesn't even exist anymore, as a response to being marginalized or to fit in with the opposing side. In hindsight, it was dumb, but hindsight is 20/20, right?
Post Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:42 pm
Sarcastro

Re: You indie kids make me sick...  Reply with quote  

SoundDoctrine wrote:
your Michael J. Fox thrift store jean jacket...

hey did you see that episode of Golden Girls too, the one where they accidently leave their $10,000 winning lottery ticket in a jacket that they give away to charity, and then Micheal J Fox wears it and then sells it back in a fundraiser and the jacket is finally given to a shelter by the guy who wins it and they girls go to the shelter to try and get it back and...oh man the fun times.

I miss Bea Arthur.
Post Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:50 pm
ctrlfreak

Golden Girls? I loathe that show and the "girls" that starred in it. Im sorry, I hate that show with a passion. Just thinking about it brings back some crumby childhood memories. Yes, I said crumby. FUCK Golden girls.

So, I guess what Im saying is, a conversation about Golden Girls is as boring as a conversation about "indie kids"
Post Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:57 pm
tom inhaler
me too!

Parallax wrote:
Golden Girls? I loathe that show and the "girls" that starred in it. Im sorry, I hate that show with a passion. Just thinking about it brings back some crumby childhood memories. Yes, I said crumby. FUCK Golden girls.

So, I guess what Im saying is, a conversation about Golden Girls is as boring as a conversation about "indie kids"

yo, i'm wearing my "free estelle getty" shirt right now.. that's fucking indie.

inhaler/thecat
www.inhalerproductions.com
Post Fri Jan 31, 2003 4:14 pm
The Samaritan

Who Cares?  Reply with quote  

SOUNDDOCTRINE...You think anyone cares about what you just rambled on about...?
Post Fri Jan 31, 2003 5:44 pm
Soul Khansenses

I wear thick, black glasses, and have done so since 7th grade (1998).
Post Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:00 pm
darianluv

I think i like waht reggie originally said.

for some reason the original post was upsetting, not because i'm indie (cause i'm not) just because... its stupid.

"these damn indie kids..." not only is it generalizations, but its more accurately describing a type of person than a genr3e of music.

What the hell is indie anyways? its such a broad term. There are sooo many awesome musicians out there that don't get the recognition they deserve, meanwhile the shit on the radio and the stuff tehy feed us is getting overplayed and is just dumb and mindless.

and those damn hip-hop kids. in case you didn't notice, that is the new "thing." thats why so many people that were once hip-hop have become unsatisfied, its become just another tool for the media to use, and why you see all these so-called underground rappers in TV commercials, because underground hip-hop is cool. you won't see people in anticon doing that shit, and it'll be a sad day if you do cause it seems that is the sort of stuff they are against. but they're just making a living, right? i just don't like it.

All genre's have a problem with some other one, just like it seems every MC has a beef with someone, funny shit. i'll agree with sole... "its all a joke"
Post Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:27 pm
Awww mn

lame-ass debate indeed  Reply with quote  

this kid gets on my nerves.

It's really fantastic how you bitch about posturing and image like you are the ReAL ThiNG, when you can giive insight on something as trivial as "the difference between 'vintage wash' and 'dirty wash' jeans". You are very much the poseur you criticize others for being.

SoundDoctrine wrote:
I used to work at an apparel place...That is dirty...The vintage wouldn't have so much colored wash (that brown you see) in them...Vintage would be a faded look somewhat...

Jeans = Dirty

http://www.non-prophets.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=51282&highlight=#51282

P.S. Gimme a fucking break.
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:50 am
SergOne

random_sample wrote:
I just hate all of the little emo indie kids that think that they are punk rock. They are not punk rock they are a bunch of whiney cry baby pussies.

YEAH!! that made me laugh cause I fully agree.....I used to hate indie kids a lot more....I still don't like them but now I have fun with them, I like to ask indie girls if they need a shoulder to cry on, or just stand around a shitload of emo kids and yell "WHO WANTS TO CRY BECAUSE I'M IN THE MOOD FOR CRYING" its fucking awesome

the point of this thread is useless, its not worth typing.....I hate lots of shit but its useless for me to get worked up about all of them.....shit when I was 18 I would get pissed off just driving around and seeing all the ricers out there with huge tips and body kits.....but its pointless cause kids are allways looking for some scene to fit into and you can't stop them.....just point, laugh and then be on your merry way
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:28 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SoundDoctrine

I seriously think that too much has been read into my post...I was bored at work and wanted to give some sort of expression about this specific "crowd"...I put quotes around as to give a thought of "so called"...To the one talking about how I know about the pants...I worked in retail for half a year at a job I hated but it was the only one I could find that paid what I needed...That honestly has nothing to do with this post...

I think my views are far from elitest...Please hear me out...I don't like lines being drawn especially when it comes to the arts...Now some categories of expression of course need to be made, but drawing lines and perameters for every aspect of emotion or created piece is just rediculous...I feel the same about this whole so called "scene"...Many of these people become caught up in not "selling out" and trying to be different when they are different in a way that will appeal to others of this group...I was talking to this girl who has always had a problem with being secure in herself...All of a sudden this year she's got on some worn jeans, chuck's, a vintage button down shirt with a loose tie and horn rimmed glasses...She tells me she has "found" herself and realized she just needed to stop being like others and be herself...Alot of the music she used to like she doesn't any more and only listens to New Found Glory, Good Charlotte, Taking Back Sunday, and other music of the same sound...She says she has "opened herself up" but I can only see her as jumping into a box with directions to stay in written on the inside...

Does this make sense...I think my thoughts and words have been scrupled...If there is such a word...
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:45 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bartus

In support of neutral milk hotel- they are a great band. thanks.
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:58 pm
Five-O-seven

test

Last edited by Five-O-seven on Sat Feb 01, 2003 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:22 pm
Always the Sucker

weak, dude.

she must really be a lamer.
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:27 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next