Search
Register
My Great Great Grandmother passed away at age 105.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

ChrisUno EndCrews

True  Reply with quote  

My Great GrandMother also died, well, in 2002....
she lived to 97 and would've been 98 had she lived another 2 weeks......

She was on the same ish, saw some of her kids die before her, and was like, Lawd, take me now!!!!!!
She was sharp and gave one strong ass hug......
I ain't know her well enough to miss her even though she lived 4 blocks from me.....
My other cousins calkled her Great Nanna, but I just called her Grandma....
I have another Grandma too, but she's a different generation (My Dad's Mom)....They say one of my great granmother's on her side lived until she was 106, never spoke English, and smoked a pipe like sailor......Heard she was mean as all hell too......

The term Nanna is reserved for a very special woman whom I love more than life itself...She turns 76 on Valentine's Day.....

Sage, congradulations, you have longevity in ya blood too.....That's nathan to be sad over. Trust me........

...What does suck though, is that now the next generation of ya fams (Ya plain GRAND mother) is, unfortunately next on the waiting list....Just like my Nanna......That is what's sad, yall.....

Wow.
I shared.
Am I emo now?

peace.
Post Wed Jan 29, 2003 7:46 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
coma emilio

sage, was this grandmother where you got part of your scottish roots from?
remember you mentioning you'd be looking for pattersons at your scottish show a while back.

if so..scotland lifts a glass to her.

if not..scotland lifts a glass to her.
Post Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:21 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

to clarify, she was my grandmother's grandmother.

she was born in Manitoba, Canada.

Met her husband in one of the wars. They moved to RI.

Her husband was the one with Scottish roots. Patterson.

I don't know much about it. We don't talk enough in my family.
Post Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:41 am
Reggie

Born in 1897.

The Brooklyn Bridge went up and NYC became incorporated in 1898. Brooklyn was its own city until then. When she was 17, Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated and The War to End All Wars (later known as World War I) started.

By living to age 22, she would have missed or somehow survived the deadly Spanish Influenza epidemic of 1918 that killed almost twice as many people as World War I casualties. Ten years later, at age 32, the stock market would crash and the world would enter The Great Depression. At age 41, the World's Fair in Queens, NYC would open and herald a new world of television, fax machines, and paved roadways across America.

When she turned 46, Truman dropped two Atomic bombs on Japan, changing the world forever. When she turned 57, Ray Kroc (born 5 years after her and dead 19 years before her) would change a small hamburger stand in California into the mega-corporate restaurant franchise known as McDonald's. The same year John F. Kennedy was assassinated, Nana was eligible to retire and collect Social Security...a plan enacted when she was 36 by Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

When she turned 74, J. Edgar Hoover, head of the FBI for almost five decades, passed away--ushering in a new sense of liberalism in the government for the first time since Roosevelt. He was two years older than her. That same year the Olympics would be terrorized by the PLO. Three years later the last U.S. troops in Vietnam were withdrawn...and somewhere in between Sage Francis was born.

In 1980, at age 82, she would see an actor--who used a medium that only became publicly popular when she was 12 years old--become President of the U.S. During the year of her 90th birthday, The Adventures of Slick Rick and It Takes A Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back are released, "Yo! MTV Raps" debuts along with The Source magazine. The Berlin Wall, which went up when she was 63 years old, came down when she was 91.

Huh.
Post Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:50 am
ChrisUno EndCrews

How old are people in ya fams....? DAMN!!!!  Reply with quote  

Ya great, great grand groove????

Wow....

That's like 5 generations back????
Alive the same time as you?

That's nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn, that's real nuts!!!!!

wow, I'm buggin....

My fams spaced out the kid having, no way possible 6 generations would walk this planet at once......3 or 4 was pushin it......

Damn, son, Gawd Bless!!!!!!
Post Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:51 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

haha Reggie...kick ass. You helped me understand what she lived through more than anyone so far.
Post Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:58 am
amo1ne

Imagine being in your early 40's and experiencing for the first time ever, color television, fax machines, & paved roadways and than consider that she was living the past 5 years of her life in the new millenium... life was reeally different. must've been something real to experience...
Post Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:05 am
eggplant xanadu
try-harderator

sorry about your nana sage  Reply with quote  

Reggie, thats the coolest thing i have ever seen anyone post for somebody.
peace
Post Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:29 am
MessiahCarey

Sage Francis wrote:
haha Reggie...kick ass. You helped me understand what she lived through more than anyone so far.

No doubt Reggie, that shit is ridiculous...GREAT perspective adjuster.

My condolences, Sage.

Peace,
Shane
Post Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:12 am
MrHourGlass

wow  Reply with quote  

My condolences as well, Sage. That's just incredible. She must have lived an extraordinary life.

Peace

HourGlass
Post Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:54 pm
Mr Ass

Im sorry for your loss.

Sounds like she had a good innings.
Post Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:15 pm
sequence

much respect to Reggie for that shit. That was highly informative. I can't imagine living a century, my god. That would be some shit.
Post Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:28 pm
anonjondoe

sorry to hear  Reply with quote  

respeck to ALL who have lost loved ones

Reggie your ridculous.
that's just ill
Post Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:35 pm
argot

Rest In Peace
Post Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:40 pm
coma emilio

yeah it makes sense she was from canada, canada has been a place many a scottish person has emigrated to over many a generation. so her husbands family might have came from my fine land.
apologies for this thread turning into a thread about emigration!

i've no idea of the roots of some of my dead relatives either. maybe families not talking about things is common.

it's funny how much families spend talking about trivial things and how little they spend actually getting to know each other. like, really getting to know each other.

i think this thread is making me over-sentimental. that and the song i'm listening to just now.

if anyone wants to listen to some mildly sad folky music go here:

http://www.subpop.com/scripts/main/download.php?url=/multimedia/Southern_Anthem194.mp3&mid=194
Post Wed Jan 29, 2003 6:10 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next