Search
Register
common is a sucka
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Llamasex

name wrote:
id like to think that if ever was asked, i would have no problem turning down that kind of stuff. am i totally unaware of some incentive that makes doing commercials absolutely irresistible? Don't say "money" or "putting food on the table" either. does common really need his income to be 2 million a year instead of 1.5 million?
doing a commerical today, isn't about the money, it is about the exposure. Moby pioneered this, other have capitalized on it, such as sting and the counting crows.

Quote:

Asked if the Crows felt out of place on the sand decked out in jeans and long leather coats, frontman Adam Duritz says, "That's the whole joke. Rock band on the beach.

"At a time when radio is playing so few songs, and MTV plays so few songs, you can't count on them to promote you," he continues. "I think the record companies are really looking for a way to get you on TV for free. We don't make a lot of money, but it's a huge promotion for your record . . . I like Coke. It's everywhere. It's harmless."...
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/newsarticle.asp?nid=16068

its about trying to reach people
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:38 am
prolifik

If it's about exposure, then that would only be because exposure = more loochie. But I don't buy that, I just think that Coke made him an offer that can buy nicer gear than his principles can.
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:07 am
Llamasex

prolifik wrote:
If it's about exposure, then that would only be because exposure = more loochie. But I don't buy that, I just think that Coke made him an offer that can buy nicer gear than his principles can.
what principles does Common have? The only thing in this thread is he is anti-war, and coke supports Republicans, which isn't that relevant because coke supports all political parties.
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:24 am
prolifik

If a party donates money to opposition platforms, then it somehow cancels itself out? Is this truly the logic that you are using? By donating money to any organization, you are signing off on their agenda. Period. But this is not why I am not fond of Common's blatant corporate selling out. For one, it seems that the point of the video is to show kids how to "keep it real," by not letting themselves be pawned by rec labels. Which is a hilariously hypocritical concept, seeing how the entire thing is masterminded by Coke. I already discussed this shit on a different thread though, so I'll just quickly sum up some other issues I have with this. Coke uses cut-throat mass marketing to young children at schools, regardless of health concerns of caffeine and sugar in kids. Coke refused to give medical benefits to thousands of HIV positive employees in Africa. Coke is the poster child for globalization. But do whatever you like, I don't want to get too preachy. I'm just gonna keep drinking water.
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:45 pm
Adamantium

I could care less what commericals common does,..he still makes good music
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:50 pm
Adamantium

that what I cant stand about underground heads,they get all upset when their favorite hiphop hero does an add for sprite or a radio friendly song,...big fuckin deal. the man did a commerical,and proablly got paid fat
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:52 pm
prolifik

If Common was my "favorite hiphop hero", I'd probably be defending him at all cost like you laughable cats are doing.
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:59 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

amo1ne wrote:
so I guess none of you have ever drank coke?

im a pepsi kind of guy myself.....

and this whole sellout argument is getting old<ingeneral>
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:01 pm
name

Quote:

what principles does Common have? The only thing in this thread is he is anti-war, and coke supports Republicans, which isn't that relevant because coke supports all political parties.

remember this from ressurection (commonism):

"com made a promise not to commercialize, but compound the soul..."

call it corny, but this is the first thing that came to mind when i saw him do those sprite commercials a few years back. it really pissed me off. people change, i guess.
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:11 pm
Dee

dabinduppes wrote:
How could the RJD2 commercial be worse ? that makes no fucking sense.......

For instance, if Saturn donated money to a Pro-Choice org, and RJD2 was radically opposed to abortion, and he STILL did the commercial, it might be worse, but in that instance his name, nothing about him is other than the background music is associated w/ him.....who would have known that was RJD2 if somebody didnt tell you ?

its a matter of principal, Common has said one thing and done another, I dont see how RJD2 fits into that....

My issue is with someone using their ART to sell a product.
Common is not. He is selling his PERSONA - inner city hippie or thrift shop b-boy or whatever the fuck he is now - when he sells coke. As long as his ART stands seperate from the advertisement, I have no issue with it.
Now, keep in mind, just because I have an ISSUE with the RJD2 commercial DOESN"T MEAN I think any less of RJD2 or that I'm going to stop listening to his music or anything. It just means that when the commercial comes on, I'm going to groan to myself and get over it.
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 4:20 pm
Broken Bridge

Celph_Writeous wrote:
I could care less what commericals common does,..he still makes good music

Word. that wont stop me from buying his cd's and listening to his music.
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 5:42 pm
illusion

bluntedinmichigan wrote:

and this whole sellout argument is getting old<ingeneral>
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 5:54 pm
PokeHerFace

let the brotha make a living...at least the coke comercial is about being real...at least you don't see the coke product until the very end...at least common isn't talking coke this, coke that...its not like Common makes millions a year; sure he must live comfortably but he is barely a gold artist...good for Common to score some commercials...good for coke to actually select a dope lyricist for a commerical that is nowhere as mainstream or as wack the usher's of the twix commericals...what coke does politically has nothing to do with this commercial

common is dope regardless of the media's attention
Post Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:10 am
duke_city

name wrote:
id like to think that if ever was asked, i would have no problem turning down that kind of stuff. am i totally unaware of some incentive that makes doing commercials absolutely irresistible? Don't say "money" or "putting food on the table" either. does common really need his income to be 2 million a year instead of 1.5 million?

You honestly think Common is a milionaire?
I seriously doubt he is.

There no way to associate the company he did a commercial for with his principles as an artist or human being.

When talking about business in general ALL companies make contributions to whoever has the power to make their business flourish this can include political funding for tax breaks or giving money to "perceived good" causes and charities to attract more customers.

We are all suckas because they made it that way.

Brian
Post Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:49 am
Soul Khansenses

ATLANTA, Sept 26 (Reuters) -

"Soft drink giant Coca-Cola Co. which has been criticized for not doing enough to fight the AIDS epidemic in Africa, announced on Thursday that 40 of it bottlers there were expanding HIV/AIDS benefits for workers on the continent.

Atlanta-based Coca-Cola said some 24,000 of the 60,000 workers employed by its bottling partners in Africa would be eligible for expanded health-care benefits, including access to anti-retroviral AIDS drugs, under the new program.

Workers' spouses also will receive access to the benefits.

Bottling employees will likely have to shoulder a small part of the costs of the new program, although that will vary from bottler to bottler.

Coca-Cola, which already provides its 1,200 workers in Africa with HIV/AIDS benefits, said the expanded program would receive from $4 million to $5 million each year in funds from its Coca-Cola Africa Foundation.

The foundation was set up last year to fight the disease and promote community outreach programs in Africa.

Robert Lindsay, a spokesman for Coca-Cola's Africa unit and president of the foundation, said the new benefits would be rolled out initially in 19 countries, mostly in southern and eastern Africa where AIDS has exacted its heaviest toll.

The company expects full implementation of the program to take up to a year.

More than 17 million Africans have died of AIDS and 25 million others have been infected with the disease. In sub-Saharan Botswana, for instance, more than a third of residents are infected.

'HUGE CHALLENGE'

"All of our bottling partners see this for what it is, which is a huge challenge for the continent," said Lindsay, who noted that Coca-Cola's African bottlers were independent firms with work forces ranging in size from 35 to 2,000 employees.

"I think they're all going through their own internal processes of assessing the program, and we are confident and hopeful that in due course all of our partners will be part of a program," Lindsay said.

Coca-Cola's bottlers will be following in the footsteps of a number of large multinational companies that have extended AIDS drug programs to their workers in Africa.

Last month, global mining firm Anglo American AGLJ.J announced that it would make antiretroviral drugs available to its HIV-positive miners for as long as they were able to keep working.

Coca-Cola's decision to expand AIDS benefits also comes about six months after activists protested the company's policies in Africa during its annual shareholders meeting in New York.

Act Up, a group opposing AIDS discrimination, described the extension of benefits on Thursday as a small and insufficient step that did not come close to covering a majority of those who worked for Coca-Cola's partners and franchisees in Africa.

"This is simply not good enough," said Sharon Ann Lynch, a member of the group in New York, who added that activists planned to continue pressuring Coca-Cola to extend full AIDS coverage and treatment to its workers in Africa and elsewhere.

Shares of Coca-Cola fell 33 cents to $48.16 in afternoon trading on Thursday on the New York Stock Exchange. Copyright ?2002 - Reuters, Ltd

Treatment activists in Africa under the aegis of the Pan- African HIV/AIDS Treatment Access Movement (PHATAM) are planning a Global Day of Action against Coca-Cola's workplace HIV/AIDS treatment programme on October 17. It would be interesting to have the activists' response to the Coca-Cola announcement"

It's a start.

and....

Africa: Coke Boosts AIDS Attack
Atlanta Journal-Constitution
09.27.02; Scott Leith
In a move that comes amid a growing chorus of criticism, Coca-Cola announced Thursday it will spend up to $5 million a year to fund HIV/AIDS treatment for Africans who work in the Coke system but not directly for the beverage company. Coke was already providing such benefits for its 1,200 corporate employees in Africa, but coverage was not available to most of the 58,000 workers in its bottling system, which is made up of 40 independent companies.

Coke's new plan will expand HIV/AIDS benefits and include coverage for expensive drugs. Bottlers will be expected to pick up at least 40 percent of the tab. Robert Lindsay, a spokesperson for Coke's Africa group, said the change initially will mean that 35 percent of Coke's bottling workers will have access to AIDS drugs. The goal is to reach 100 percent within a year.

"The recent announcement is due completely to activist pressure," said Sharonann Lynch, a spokesperson for ACT UP and Health Gap. She said Coke was "shamed into action." But Coke spokesperson Sonya Soutus said the company has long indicated it was working on an AIDS benefit plan for its African bottlers. ACT UP protested at Coke's annual meeting in New York this year. Protesters also assembled outside the company headquarters in Atlanta and at an International AIDS conference in Barcelona. Most recently, they have been organizing a "Global Day of Protest Against Coca-Cola" on Oct. 17. Lynch said they plan to go ahead with the event, even though Coke's announcement addresses many of their complaints.

Money for the new program will go through the Coca-Cola Africa Foundation, which already has been involved with UNAIDS and other organizations active in Africa. Coke reported sales of $621 million in Africa in 2001 and income before taxes of $258 million. Coke partners in the new HIV/AIDS effort are GlaxoSmithKline, PharmAccess International and Population Services International. "

If you want them to put this into effect immediately, then I invite you to assume control of a conglomerate with a body of employees exceeding even a thousand people and effectively dole out care for one of the most savagely harmful illnesses present in human society.

I mean, I've my reservations about corporate pledges, too, yet, don't call them a cadre of jackals, unresponsive to appeals to their conscience, unless you give them time to actually respond.
Post Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:19 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next