Search
Register
pictures of sage and jared paul from january 18th
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

amo1ne

well i didnt know that. it looked like there were 10 people standing in that pic. whatever, i was just curious - not trying to be a dickhead. i respect what you did. disregard my first post.
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:09 pm
Bles

..  Reply with quote  

oh, so protesting is what stopped the vietnam war?

...that's news to me
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:14 pm
asexualdrone

dude reporters are saying there were only 30,000 people WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON, you say 500,000 AND THEY SAY 30,000 THATS 470,000 DIFFERENCE, do you think thats cumalative?
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:30 pm
maxamillion

I can't believe that sage looks exactly the same as when he was in Europe!!
Same clothes and beard, he's really wearing out that look!!

Nothing but respect for the fact that they where standing in the freezing cold just for the cause!!
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:59 am
MessiahCarey

Re: ..  Reply with quote  

bles wrote:
oh, so protesting is what stopped the vietnam war?

...that's news to me

Well, depending on what history books you read, yeah.

To say it single handedly stopped the Vietnam war would be erroneous, but I never claimed that. On the other hand, to ignore that internal protests had just as much of an impact on foreign policy as external situations would be foolish.

It's not the ONLY thing that stopped the war, but it was large part of it. If the war had overwhelming U.S. support (or nobody to show up to protests at least), we probably would have stayed involved MUCH longer.

- Shane
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:08 am
Reggie

Protesting stopped the Vietnam War?

12 years, hundreds of millions of lives lost, countless lives ruined by trauma and addiction, unfathomable amount of money spent. Protesting stopped it just in time, I suppose.

By the time the Vietnam War "ended," the large anti-Vietnam sentiment in this country...and most of the Western world...was gone. I believe two things stopped Vietnam more than anything else: one was the death of J. Edgar Hoover. Many people don't really understand the grip this guy had on U.S government for almost five decades. He blackmailed and cajoled and scared the shit out of everyone in Washington during that time--and, by the way, lived with his mother right next door to Lyndon "Mr. President" Johnson for a long time. I don't think that Hoover really wanted a war in Vietnam so much as he wanted to use red-baiting as often as possible, and so his mindset represented a strictly right-wing, pro-war sentiment within the U.S. Government. In essence, his presence ensured a pro-War Congress and President, and his death signaled its end (for a while.)

The other thing that stopped the Vietnam War was an impending gas crisis. I'm sure some of you remember or have heard from your parents about the gas crisis of 1977, where you could only get gas on certain days of the week depending on your liscence plate. Well gas, like money, trickles down from the very rich--in this case war-mongerers--to the very poor. Even just considering the vehicles--not the generators or other machines that depended on gas and oil to function--Vietnam cost approximately 100,000,000 gallons of gas per day in 1968. And you can't operate these things on fumes, either. So by 1972, the various things that would eventually effect car owners in the late 70's had effectively ground Vietnam to a halt. While fighting the unwinnable war was making some people very rich, they neglected to consider the long-term effects on machines and people.

There are other reasons why the U.S. eventually pulled out of Vietnam, and to be sure, the fact that it was an unpopular war was part of the reason. No one stops fighting a war when they are winning and have their country behind them. However, looking back--perhaps out of context (and so be it)--the anti-war movement of the late 60's resulted mostly in the disaffection and detachment from power of the American people.
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:28 am
Jared Paul

Goddamnit i love this board!!  Reply with quote  

Shane, man, i can always count on you to be the voice of reason and a fair mediator for as many sides of a topic as possible, and REGGIE, goddamnit you said a mouthfull!!

where do you work? what do you do? are you making any effort share the information you've gathered via art, journalism, activism, etc... ?

WE ARE TAKING MONEY FOR SEATS ON THE BUS TO NYC FOR THE DEMONSTRATION ON THE 15TH, HIT ME UP!!

The MANICexpressive Hotline: 401 261 1700 (community outreach and assistance facilitation 24 hrs.-f.cking-day!!)
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:23 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
illusion

where in NYC are we talking about here? times square?
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:40 pm
MessiahCarey

Re: Goddamnit i love this board!!  Reply with quote  

MANICexpressive wrote:
Shane, man, i can always count on you to be the voice of reason and a fair mediator for as many sides of a topic as possible, and REGGIE, goddamnit you said a mouthfull!!

where do you work? what do you do? are you making any effort share the information you've gathered via art, journalism, activism, etc... ?

WE ARE TAKING MONEY FOR SEATS ON THE BUS TO NYC FOR THE DEMONSTRATION ON THE 15TH, HIT ME UP!!

The MANICexpressive Hotline: 401 261 1700 (community outreach and assistance facilitation 24 hrs.-f.cking-day!!)

I will be there, but I'm going to Long Island on Friday Night - is there a way that I'll be able to link up with y'all? Bah...we'll speak on it Saturday.

Peace,
Shane
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:15 pm
MessiahCarey

Reggie lays it out.

I didn't mean to say it was THE reason the war stopped (poor wording implied that), but it is A reason.

- Shane
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:16 pm
Nope

Quote:

You would have seen me next to those two with a sign that said "Bush, Dick and Colin are body parts not leaders" Heh.

Shane

someone reads george carlin....
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:19 pm
MessiahCarey

RandomSurge wrote:

Quote:

You would have seen me next to those two with a sign that said "Bush, Dick and Colin are body parts not leaders" Heh.

Shane

someone reads george carlin....

Negative. But this wouldn't be the first time him and I have both thought of something obvious to laugh about unbeknownst to each other.

I would have given him credit for the idea if it was his...

But damn, he must be a smart guy. ;-)

- Shane
Post Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:57 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Furious George
Post Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:54 pm
ihaveagluegun

Curious George...
Post Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:06 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jae

what if I agree with our government? can I still be a free thinker?
Post Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:57 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next