Search
Register
I hate the use of the word emo, in all of its forms...
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

sequence

I hate the use of the word emo, in all of its forms...  Reply with quote  

particularly when attached to rap music. Isn't nearly all music emotional as it is? Why the addendum? I fucking hate it! I hated it when it emerged in hardcore, then indie, then punk, and now every fucking thing is emo. God, as much as I like Sole, I don't want to buy the new album because of the stupid-ass sticker on the cover.

Shit.
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:57 pm
Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.

i  Reply with quote  

I guess music has gotten to the point that there needs to be some prefix to let the listener know that it contains emotion and substance. It's an unfortunate label, but I think there should be some way to distinguish music of substance from the crap that's become so commonplace.
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:00 pm
sequence

That may be the case, but it doesn't change the fact that I get an almost unsuppressable urge to punch fucks in the throat who use the term incessantly. Good god, it is one of the worst things ever.

This is a new low for me.
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:05 pm
futuristxen

you should really get the new sole album. I personally took the sticker as a joke and I think you should as well. If you read the marketing things for most of the anticon artists they are all pretty ridiculous. Alias makes "goth-hop" or something like that.

Seriously the new sole album is great stuff.
go buy it.

As far as the term itself, yeah I don't like it either, because it doesn't say anything anymore, everything is getting called "emo" these days. And as you say, nearly all music is emotional on some level, so there is no need for the prefix. So yeah I agree with you totally.
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:28 pm
MessiahCarey

I concur.

"Emo hip hop" is just as dumb as "emocore"

I mean...let's think Shift when we think of "emo", shall we? That's if we're forced to think of "emo" at all.

All music should be releasing emotion of some sort. Calling something "emo" means you actually think you have a better handle on it than other musicians within the same genre that don't take the label (probably because they refuse to care). Bullshit if you ask me.

- Shane
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:44 pm
duke_city

I still have no idea what Emo is but I'm with sequence I hate the word too.

Brian
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:51 pm
August Spies

I have a shirt that I made that says "death to false emo violence"

emo violence is the only use of emo I like. and yes, its mostly a joke.
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:20 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

oOo  Reply with quote  

emo is the dumbest shit ever thought of.please.dont use the word.its fuckin gay
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:58 pm

futuristxen

August Spies wrote:
I have a shirt that I made that says "death to false emo violence"

emo violence is the only use of emo I like. and yes, its mostly a joke.

exactly what I'm saying. I think it's a joke that not everyone is in on.
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 3:15 pm
August Spies

I meant emo violence is a joker term not emo as a whole. Its too bad emo has been fucked over so much, it used to refer to some of the most beautiful and emotive music out there. Not it just means Saves the Day or the strokes.

sigh
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 3:35 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Say Sam Ting

Image is nothing... Thurst is Everything... Sprite Aight!
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 3:48 pm
futuristxen

August, you might know this better, but didn't emo start out as a derogatory reference to what was viewed as kind of sappy punk(in the sense that the topic wasn't political, but more tuned towards love and the such)? That's how I heard it anyhow.

As far as how it got into hiphop, slug tells a story in an interview about how he was joking with some people about the idea of emo-hiphop and then the fanbase and marketing took it and ran with it, taking something that was a joke and turning it into a label that I think is the hiphop equivelent of backpacker and artfag.
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 3:50 pm
SoundDoctrine

What is frustrating about music is we make words to destinguish different sounds or feelings music presents to us, but it is such an abstract concept to describe feelings emitted from music, so instead of just defining certain music we like and don't like we go the extent of placing these obnoxious genres on music and it just makes the whole environment sour...Oh well...
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:18 pm
tom inhaler
me too!

...  Reply with quote  

haha, yeah... i'm working on this site now which tackles the whole emo thing.

www.emofordummies.com

nothing really up, but it's going to be, well... emo for dummies. a manual on how to be emo.. aka what pins to buy, how to make mixtapes, crying, etc etc... should be good fun.

inhaler/thecat
www.inhalerproductions.com
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:13 pm
sequence

I couldn't tell you who actually coined the term, but the first few times I heard it used it was referencing old DC bands such as Rites of Spring and Embrace (both pre-Fugazi, but you knew that), and I like both of those bands. After that I started to hear it used to reference bands such as Hum, Hayden, Mineral, Sunny Day Real Estate, and others of that ilk. Slowly it turned into Lifetime being emo-core, than when Saves the Day ripped them off, they in turn became emo and it was all down hill from there. I didn't use to think of it as a derogatory term, even though I sincerely disliked most of the bands who were included in the category (such as Promise Ring, STD, Get Up Kids..blah blah), now when I hear it, I run screaming in the other direction. I'm all for humorous usage of excessive prefixes when describing music or whatever, but most people are not being ironic when they refer to things as emo indie-hop or some such horse shit. If you want to talk about gravity-screamo-ultra-powerviolence or some shit, then I'm in.

It's like post-pre-postmodern post-phenomenological post-marxist thought.

I want to kick the shit out of that little turd from Dashboard Confessional.

I'm buying the new Sole album, that was merely what prompted me to make the comment. I love the 12", so I'm excited about the album. I'm just bummed that 4 of the tracks on the album have been released already, I hate that, less surprises.
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:52 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next