Search
Register
A story from the Personal Journeys tour
View previous topic | View next topic >

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Strange Famous Forum > Old Shows. Come meet the ghost of performance past.

Was this an entertaining story?
Yes
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Sorta.
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
No.
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

Reggie

A story from the Personal Journeys tour  Reply with quote  

Reading Sage's newsletter reminded me of a funny experience I had at the last show of the Personal Journeys tour. I might have mentioned this before, but I know I didn't go into much detail...but it's funny, and it's in keeping with other weird events of the night (let's not forget the Legend of the Fish Laden with Demo Tapes.)

I attended the show with a bunch of friends I have in Boston, among them a nice, "non-rap" couple that I met a couple of years ago. The girl's name is Jill, the guy's Jeff...and he is originally from a miniscule town about 45 minutes west of Boston called Bolton, famous for its apple orchards and wineries. He has been getting into some scratch and dnb music, a path which, if traveled long enough, will eventually lead to rap. So I gave him a couple of tapes and mixes, and he was digging it for the most part. When I told him I was coming up to see the show, he said he and Jill would also attend--their first rap show.

So there we all are, in the Middle East, waiting for Grand Buffet to take the stage. I had never seen Grand Buffet but I had heard a couple of songs from a tape trade (yes, these still do go on), so I knew it was going to be on some wacky shit. They take the stage, and immediately Lord Grunge says, "We're Grand Buffet, I'm from Boltom, Massachusetts, a tiny little town about 45 miles west of here..." Now imagine Jeff...standing at this random show featuring artists he has barely ever heard of, and already the first rapper on stage is from his hometown. Just to give you an idea how small this town is, they have to assimilate kids from five neighboring towns to make up enough kids for a centralized high school...and Jeff's graduating class was less than 100. Just so you know.

So we're enjoying the stylings of Grand Buffet, and then in the middle of one of their songs (I think it was the one before "Candy Bars"), one of them says, Jeff's full name, "...Jeff Bradford..." without noticing Jeff at all! By now, Jeff is getting downright paranoid. He kind of fidgets at the side of the stage and eyes Grand Buffet suspiciously.

After the show, Jeff gets down to talk to these guys who have the audacity to name him and his town. Turns out that Lord Gemma is the little brother of some guy that Jeff used to rap with in junior high school--strictly on the bedroom/Beastie Boys tip, mind you--and indirectly inspired him to pursue music. They gabbed it up for a little while, presumably about apple orchards or something, and Jeff got a signed CD for his undue paranoia.

The End.
Post Wed Jul 03, 2002 7:09 am
MessiahCarey

Woah.  Reply with quote  

This is entertaining.

For two reasons.

#1. Lord GEMMA? I think you meant Lord Grunge. ;-)

#2. I almost got a job at an ISP in Bolton. Yes, I said an ISP. Weird, huh?

That show was dope...you coming to the RI show?

Peace,
Shane
Post Wed Jul 03, 2002 9:44 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

this story definitely had me laughing out loud but that whole "poll" shit needs to go.

I wanted you to continue the story in a way that detailed how uncomfortable and paranoid your friend was getting until he eventually ran into the bathroom while throwing up on himself. hahaa. or some shit.

good stuff though. I hope your friends had a good time overall
Post Wed Jul 03, 2002 10:04 am
Reggie

Re: Woah.  Reply with quote  

MessiahCarey wrote:
This is entertaining.

For two reasons.

#1. Lord GEMMA? I think you meant Lord Grunge. ;-)

#2. I almost got a job at an ISP in Bolton. Yes, I said an ISP. Weird, huh?

That show was dope...you coming to the RI show?

Peace,
Shane

I am actually going to be in Hyannis on the 13th, so there is a distinct possibility that I will roll through to this one.

Who is Lord Gemma? That's someone, I know it.

The poll was supposed to include an option for, "Could have used more tits."
Post Wed Jul 03, 2002 10:11 am
MessiahCarey

Yeah.  Reply with quote  

Lord Gemma is the cat on my CD that I'm in a group called "Bipolar Divinity" with.

I think he's dope.

I think Grand Buffet is dope, as well.

Introduce yourself to me.

Peace,
Shane
Post Wed Jul 03, 2002 10:26 am
Reggie

Re: Yeah.  Reply with quote  

MessiahCarey wrote:
Lord Gemma is the cat on my CD that I'm in a group called "Bipolar Divinity" with.

I think he's dope.

I think Grand Buffet is dope, as well.

Introduce yourself to me.

Peace,
Shane

Hahaha, well, that proves I'm listening.
Post Wed Jul 03, 2002 10:31 am

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to: