Search
Register
DONNIE DARKO
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Jimmie Ooombar

type in the word 'sparrow' where the *******'s are.
Post Mon Jan 13, 2003 1:53 am
natas sevol dog

hah damn im dumb, didnt even realize that could be type over

thanks
Post Mon Jan 13, 2003 3:13 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PokeHerFace

someone help me out here...  Reply with quote  

this movie is off the meat rack. shit is so cool. i took a philosophy of physics class in college and learned all about relativity and string theory and wormholes and shit. its awe striking stuff. So in this movie...

In my opinion we have dimension A (the world where donnie avoids death) and dimension B (the world where Donnie's girlfriend, Frank and mother die)

My thoughts on this movie are the following:

Dimension A we start off in and donnie gets lead out of his house to avoid the engine killing him, and now we are flowing on dimension B. Now that donnie is in Domension B heis totally at under the control of Frank, the bunny, to do all that shit like burn swazy's house down. Since swazy's house was burnt down, that kitty bitch cannot take the girls to star search so Donnie's mom does it. Cause and effect. Donnie's mom dies on the airplane she would never have been on if Donnie died origionally. This new path of events in time leads up to Frank getting shot in the eye, donnie's girl dying and his mom dying. But, donnie realizes the fate of all those that he cares for, realizes that he can do something about it because he is all intuned to his inner worm hole, and travels back to Dimension A to let himself die so that Frank, his girlfriend and his mom can live.

BUT...whats so mind boggling about these wormholes is how the plane's engine that killed donnie at the end was the engine from Dimension B that was wrekage of the plane that Donnie's mom and sister were in strictly as a result of donnie avoiding death to begin with(thanks to Frank). So he goes back to let himself die and the plane engine in which his mom and sister died (in dimension B) came through a portal to kill donnie so that his mom and sister and frank and the girlfriend can live (in dimensino A)? That is some wack shit. Can anyone explain this?

I keep saying its unreal how they show in this movie that donnie dies from the engine that, if he saved himself, his mom and sister would have been on and died, so he saved his mom's and sister's life by dying under the wrekage that would have killed them if he didn't die. And it just never sounds right. But it makes sense. And then it seems illogical. But then it just ends up being phat.

How cool is this movie.
Post Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:15 am
futuristxen

well really wouldn't the engine have fallen off regardless of whether his mom and sister were on the plane?

dope breakdown.

then again. I think the engine is from a mysterious unfound plane--that's what they say in dimension B.

The engine also time travels, right?

god I think my brain just popped. I think there is something wrong with the plot of the movie. There is some leap that just won't work logically.

So dimension b Donnie doesn't get hit by the engine, so he gets to meet his girl, he's haunted by frank from the future who he will kill, frank gets him to burn the house down that gets his mom and sister on the plane. Donnie's girl gets run over. Donnie shoots frank, which will cause frank to go back in time to help donnie. Now donnie goes back to bed. The engine falls from his mothers plane which goes back and kills Donnie 30 days earlier thus saving Frank, Donnie's girl, and his mom and sister and repairing the tear in space.

I think the whole thing is based on a fluke tear in the whole space time continuum that comes about from the plane crash and it's up to donnie to repair that breach--but it isn't per se caused by him, but he can solve the problem.

it's nuts.

Last edited by futuristxen on Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:49 am
PokeHerFace

so stupid  Reply with quote  

quote]well really wouldn't the engine have fallen off regardless of whether his mom and sister were on the plane?
[/quote]

ALAS!! its so simple.....and im a fuckin retard

i definately looked way into that one...
Post Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:00 pm
futuristxen

yeah I should have stopped there. but then I thought more about what you said. should have stopped should have stopped. heh.
Post Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:02 pm
PokeHerFace

the engine  Reply with quote  

yes, the plane would have crashed regardless, but the engine is from that plane that his mom and sister would have been in. I also think there is something wrong with the plot...it doesn't seem to work logically. But then again no one knows logic behind time travel and shit so this movie is just fucking with the whole idea, tweeking it and makeing it impossible to fully undertand. It's really fun to grind you mind over though.
Post Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:23 pm
amo1ne

I think it's more about the essence of fate than philosophy. You're perceptions are too structured where this film revolves more around religion and god and ideas which are not so much foundation but more the process of thought and idea. It's almost like Donnie is sacrificing himself for the will of a higher power, he is following god's destiny by travelling down a predetermined path to the actual intrinsic nature of his existence. He is told that he will have 28 days to experience the world and when that time is up, it will all end but it will happen for a reason and that is his only solace and freedom from doubt. Though god in the universal sense is not an obvoius or direct factor in the actual film, it is very much so on a metaphorical level which would explain to some extent where the plane fits in. It could be that the structure of existence for these people, Donnie's mother and sister, are reversed as a result of the cause and effect of Donnie's actions to his determined fate. This would place them back in the security of their own home rather than on the airplane as it crashes so that when the engine comes down and crushes Donnie, they are instantly set back into their positions or proper prospects along their determined life line. It's basically like everything is being set straight in the sovereign sense, through god's eyes. It could also be possible, (though again I haven't seen this movie in a while so I forget all the details - but I remember dialog about time travel and talk about the velocity of an aircraft being able to surpass the boundaries & limits of space, ect) so it is possible, that the engine itself traveled back through time to crush Donnie as it broke off from the airplane and was projected through the wormhole at extreme velocities which passed through to Donnie's actual realm of existence, thereby crushing him leaving seemingly no trace. If you recall, I believe the FBI could not associate the engine with any commercial airlines on route in the vicinity which seemed odd to everyone that it almost came out of nowhere - well in a sense it did. The engine was manipulated into a time machine which passed back through Donnie's tangent worlds, representing the hand of god which takes Donnie's life. Therefore, his family was all soundly sleeping in their home as Donnie's 28 day excursion was complete and the space-time continuum was restored so Donnie lay in bed smiling while he waited for the time machine (the detached engine) to transcend space & fall through his bedroom ceiling crushing him to death.
Post Mon Jan 13, 2003 1:00 pm
PokeHerFace

about the engine  Reply with quote  

when the FAA comes and gets all secretive because they cannot find where this engine came from, could it be not because they dont know where it came from, but perhaps because the engine that crashed into the Darko's is the same engine that is still in tact on the plane is scheduled to be flying in that area 28 days from then?
Post Mon Jan 13, 2003 1:19 pm
amo1ne

well it wouldnt be in 28 days since that specific time period was only relative to Donnie during his existence in the tangent reality. it is possible that engine was traced to one already existing on another aircraft but that doesnt necessarily mean that it wouldve been departing in 28 days or any determined time in the future because at this point, the future as far as humanity is concerned is unknown as it should be. that plane might never take off, it might leave the next day, it might get hijacked by terrorists, etc. im pretty sure soembody mentioned something about it not being traceable or seemingly coming out of nowhere though.
Post Mon Jan 13, 2003 1:26 pm
Adamantium

if any of you have gone on the donnie darko website,...I need help,...I got to level 3 where you hear(as well as read)a phono convo between a dude from london and a dude in the us about the engine of the jet that killed donnie,...but after the convo is done...I dunno what the fuck to do,..i'm stuck!....and also for those who saw the movie what is the relevance of that little dark skinned chubby girl??..and also the first time donnie and his girl are about to kiss theres a fat dude in a red suit thats starin at them,..than on the 28th day in question infront of darkos house where there havin a party,it shows the same fat man with the red suit and he shines a flashlight,...whats the releveance to that?
Post Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:34 pm
damnzelle

amo1ne wrote:

The only part that confuses me is why the woman keeps checking her mailbox all the time, I couldnt figure that out?

Roberta Sparrow is checking for Donnie's letter. She's know's it's coming.
Post Mon Jan 13, 2003 7:05 pm
asexualdrone

ummm i got to last part of the website and it showed this document of what happened about the plane and that pulled it all together. and the dvd tells alot, the book shows how the movie plot is shown and in the back there are notes, like she predicted the exact names,

what i wonder is how did she know all of this was to happen? she didnt die in the tangent universe or anything
Post Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:10 pm
KTA

.  Reply with quote  

How do I get through the third level on the website? I heard the people talking about the engine. I read the two newspaper articles about the crash. But now there is just a screen with the engine on it that says "time is up, Donnie". I don't know what to do, i've clicked on everything.
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:49 pm
KTA

.  Reply with quote  

judging by the response before me it must just be the end... nevermind
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:50 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next