Search
Register
1/9/03 Providence OWNED Boston last night. Get used to it
View previous topic | View next topic >

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Strange Famous Forum > Old Shows. Come meet the ghost of performance past.

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

1/9/03 Providence OWNED Boston last night. Get used to it  Reply with quote  

hahaa

So after a full day in the studio, where I re-recorded a song called "Mainstream" for the Non-Prophets album, I made a pitstop at the pizza shop on my way home. Phone call...Mike Cirelli.

"Hey Frank...we're going down to the Boston Cantab for Jared's feature. Come meet us at the house."

I considered skipping out on this event because my body and brain are both equally fried due to the European tour, holiday season, moving out of my apt, recording "HOPE", rehearsing for the tour, preparing to release Reverse Discourse and set up shop at this site. But the company was strong...and even though the man is old the night was young. So I trooped.

Upon entering the Cantab, Mike and I noticed that there were two slots open in the slam list. He wrote both of our names down.
The open mic at the Cantab was all of two hours long. That is NOT cool. Listening to open mic poets for 2 hours in one evening is the kind of dues I am not interested in paying anymore. Of course there were some shining moments, such as Craig Nelson's poem about working the graveyard shift: "My job is to stay conscious. I am the guy who calls another guy if ANYTHING happens. I am AWESOME at computer solitaire."

There was a short break directly after the slam and then my roomate and long time friend, Jared Paul, took to the stage with props in one hand and the crowd in the other. The Manic Expressive Agenda was in full effect, and the energy levels rose considerably. Shadowboxing, beatboxing, soapboxing.

A would-be heckler who stood by the door was successfully deterred by Jared subtely warning him, "You're not going to be the heckler. You don't want to be that guy."

Very entertanining feature. Everyone in the house was pleased. It ended around 11 o'clock, which is about when we all wanted to leave. We considered skipping out on the slam. But we stayed. and I won. yay. it was cool. I slammed with "Cure" for the first time and it got me the best score of the night.

We got home around 2:30 AM.

It was the best night I have had in a long time. And Meeting St Cafe wasn't even involved.

love,
frank

*yeah yea...I know it's in Cambridge.

Last edited by Sage Francis on Thu Jan 09, 2003 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:24 pm
eclipse31982

sorry i missed it  Reply with quote  

i had that 24 hour bug, you know the one when you lose control of all your bodily functions at the same time,,, it was pretty dope but i would have rather gone to Boston. anyway glad to hear you guys held it down, peaceeee

eclipse
Post Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:42 pm
argot

hooorah  Reply with quote  

yay for the whole night. sorry i wasnt there.... i was on ym way back from maine... crazy shit

the phantom eclipse is posting... (evil laughter) shut up

Congratulations
Post Thu Jan 09, 2003 3:42 pm
love6ness

congrats, mr. francis.

is that the same mike cirelli from the Berzerkeley Slam CD? his poem "vinyl" is one of my favorites.
Post Thu Jan 09, 2003 4:01 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

you know it.

he is a RI native
Post Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:15 pm
Jared Paul

Whatchoo know bout' Team PRRRAHVIDEEENSE????????????!!!  Reply with quote  

Cirelli...
SEMIprose...
Open Mic- The Slam?
RHODE ISLE.
Post Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:58 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
eggplant xanadu
try-harderator

Bosston is Nizza  Reply with quote  

Whatevaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!! (putting hands on hips like an upset Dorchester girl)
Congrats Sage
peace
Post Sun Jan 12, 2003 8:00 pm
MrHourGlass

hmm  Reply with quote  

from a hiphop standpoint, i think Providence owns Boston too. There are the exceptions of Akro and others, but one can only stomcah so much of Eso and the likes exclaiming "build your vocab!!!", fuck that shit.

Peace
Post Sun Jan 12, 2003 10:57 pm
tobyne

Sage,

I'm disappointed. Disappointed for not having been able to be there as well.
madness.

Love,
Eveline
Post Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:04 pm
MOS

u always win, you are neat
Post Tue Jan 14, 2003 3:00 pm

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to: