Search
Register
DONNIE DARKO
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

JessicaKitten

the chick who played his mother was v.p.'s daughter in theater of blood. tras!
Post Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:14 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The Dead Poet

i've saw this flick and felt it was cool but i still don't understand it all tho...

its most likely cause i was doing laundry at the time but anyways can some one explain the ending to me...

Does donnie just see or dream about this airplane motor going through his roof so that he can save his family...? or what...? i'm real confused...
Post Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:45 am
illmatik06

if you're that clueless, i suggest you seriously watch it once more..haha. actually, a few more times would be better.
Post Sun Jan 12, 2003 2:50 am

Perhaps the plane crash component is symbolic of the eternal struggle between determinism and free will. Does Donnie actually have any control over how these events unfold and how he reacts to each situation? Maybe Frank or Donnie's perception of who Frank/weird bunny is determines Donnie's fate. Only Aristotle and the Stoics would know. But they missed the film of course.
Post Sun Jan 12, 2003 7:47 pm
eggplant xanadu
try-harderator

the old woman in the road checking her mail...is that Donnie's girl...already on the other side,after being hit by Frank...and her checking the mail represents her waiting for Donnie to join his love in the afterlife
peace
Post Sun Jan 12, 2003 9:36 pm
illmatik06

damn, your thoughts are pretty trippy, man.
Post Sun Jan 12, 2003 9:39 pm
Adamantium

I dunno about that,..because at the end where it shows that donnie died,his girl comes ridin up on her bike like "what happen here",not even knowin who donnie is,...the old lady(grandma death)was a nun who became a teacher and wrote that book "the philosphy of time travel" which explains what donnie is going thru,..the website explains it www.donniedarko.com
Post Sun Jan 12, 2003 9:41 pm
futuristxen

oh that's what happened that I thought was a nice ending--he saved his girls life by dying amongst other things and because of that she didn't even know who he was. The whole thing is like a spiral.

I also dug the song by I guess Gary Jules, "mad world".
Post Sun Jan 12, 2003 9:54 pm
eggplant xanadu
try-harderator

Celph_Writeous wrote:
I dunno about that,..because at the end where it shows that donnie died,his girl comes ridin up on her bike like "what happen here",not even knowin who donnie is,...the old lady(grandma death)was a nun who became a teacher and wrote that book "the philosphy of time travel" which explains what donnie is going thru,..the website explains it www.donniedarko.com

yes...she reps. the only person who knows what happens after death...Donnies girl,the one who already died...shes first a nun(a woman close to god) then a teacher(the book teaches Donnie to accept his fate)
i think the girl at the end reps. her after she found the wormhole back to her original life because she loved Donnie so much
Post Sun Jan 12, 2003 10:08 pm
amo1ne

I saw this movie a long time ago so i dont remember all the details but I basically thought it was like this...

Donnie has that disorder thing or whatever it is, which causes him to act abnormal in circumstances. He leaves his house one night and avoids what should have been his determined fate, the airplane engine crashing through his bedroom.

Anywyas, by escaping death the universe relating solely to himself is altered and a tangent reality is created in which Donnie and his life exist out of context. Basically Donnie has debated the parralels of the universe by altering his own reality. he should've died but he didnt.

At first we are not supposed to be sure of whether the oscillation between Donnie's perception of reality and the hard-hitting facts of his life are real or merely the rantings of a disturbed, medicated, suicidal teenager but in the end this is explained as we see how his universe untangles and how everything is pieced together - Gretchen, the rabbit getting capped in the face on halloween, the plane, etc..

So anyways, Donnie continues experiencing all the hallucinations and shit and sees the skulfaced rabbit who gives him prophecies of what he believes to be the end of universal life, however he doesnt realise that these foreshadows are actually relating only towards his own existence. The rabbit directs him into doing all sorts of random tasks which rebound off each other and the consequences of Donnie's actions begin to set an organised path for him in time, which will eventually lead him back into his definite essence through a pattern of events which will alter his existence.

Basically he is piecing a jigsaw puzzle of his own fate, hes on a mission of self-destruction. He needs to readjust his reality by acting in ways which will lead to his death.

The theme of the movie basically attempts not only to transcend time travel, but to link it explicitly to the biggest question of all: Does everyone die alone? If God exists, he must by extension have a plan for the universe, a path for everyone to follow. If we are following a path that God knows from start to finish, then we should be able to jump to any point on that path because it already and always exists.

Donnie is able to see these paths as abyss-like arrows emanating from people’s chests. He tries to ask his science teacher what it all means, but he cant tell Donnie how to travel in time because it means telling Donnie that there is a sovereign god who created time and who oversees its unfolding and that is not allowed.

The old woman fits into the story as being the author of the book that Donnie follows in his path to sacrifice in which he's beginning to learn the meaning of. As the clock runs out, Donnie makes love with Gretchen and then goes to the old woman because he's found love, and now he needs answers. If everyone dies alone, then it doesnt matter that he loves Gretchen cause what he finds is death, destruction, sorrow & despair. The complete darkness of the fallen world is laid bare before him, and the old woman is nowhere to be found & then the sky starts to fall.

Donnie watches the clouds gather above his house, and then scenes from the movie run in reverse & Donnie is back in his bed on the night of his death and now he will die - but Gretchen wont be murdered. His family will weep but the world wont come to an end at the close of the 28 days. So in essence he's sacrificed himself to prove that God exists, that God is indeed universal over everything - and if God exists then no one dies alone, it is safe to die, and the world doesnt have to come to an end.

His death does change the future profoundly, but he laughs because hes learned that death isnt the worst thing that can happen to a person, not by half.

The only part that confuses me is why the woman keeps checking her mailbox all the time, I couldnt figure that out?
Post Sun Jan 12, 2003 10:26 pm
amo1ne

Oh and you could kind of break it down like Donnie was Jesus and Frank was God and maybe Donnie's girl was like his disciple or something...

When you watch it over you notice all kinds of cool little subtelties like the guy at the beginning honking his horn is actually Frank but at the end of the movie he's not doing it, and lots of other shit I noticed..

Also, what's the signifigance of "Cellar door"? I heard somewhere that was Edgar Allen Poe and Tolkein's favorite word? Anyone know?
Post Sun Jan 12, 2003 10:39 pm
pissy_drunk

there shouldnt be people who havent seen this movie yet....then again im a movie addict.
Post Sun Jan 12, 2003 10:56 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
futuristxen

I think you're right about "cellar door", they talk about it on the commentary track on the dvd and if I remember right it's the favorite word deal. It's been like over a year and a half since I rented it, so I don't know for sure.
Post Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:36 pm
Adamantium

well at the end donnie says "cellar door" while standing in front of grandma deaths house because the door is shaped as a cellar door(which a lingustic said is the most beautiful two words put together),..and also as far as frank being god and darko being jesus,...wouldnt grandma death be more like jesus,because her last name in the flick is SPARROW,..which has heavy bible references
Post Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:49 pm
natas sevol dog

hey, can someone tell me how to get past that part on the webpage that says "her name was that of a bird" or something like that.

thanks
Post Mon Jan 13, 2003 1:31 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next